Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL BB Presentation

• 12-04-2005 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Attached is an interesting powerpoint presentation from NTL. It was made to the Knocknacarra Broadband Interet Group in Galway at their recent meeting.

More information : http://www.feacht.com

-=- RintPete

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

That is great news for Galway and the rest of NTLs areas. I have had it now for about 2 years and I have to say it has been great. I just hope they don't go down the road with low caps like they did in the UK. Their 1GB option has a 3 GB a month download cap! http://www.home.ntl.com/icat/broadband&source=ntlcom_bblink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Doesn't mention a countrywide upgrade though.

It's quite possible that this area has newer/upgraded cabling, or they're just trialling the higher speeds there.

I can't see them only upgrading Galway with the rest of the ISPs upgrading to 1/2MB. It would mean the end of NTL in Dublin if they didn't respond. I sent them an email a few weeks ago and they said that they were reevaluating the speeds and that there would be an anouncement in a few weeks. I thought that they would wait until the new owners took over but it looks like UGC are the preferred bidder. If they end up buying NTL it could take weeks or even months due to competition regulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

woohoo!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

NTL Must update their prices and specs or they are dead in the water.

I'm currently doing some research into the TCO of the various products over 12 months, and at the current prices NTL doesn't look very compelling compared to Eircom.

From what I've read on this presentation, it looks like the new speeds and prices will be announced this month and released in May for everyone :)

BTW in case any NTL people are reading this, the page in the presentation entitled "DSL Comparison" is wrong.

Eircoms 2Mb product costs €54 per month, not €68.

Also the additional charge for going over the Eircom cap is now 1.21 cent per Mb, not 3c.

And Finally, Eircoms DSL support number is a 1890 number, which is charged at local rates, not 33c per min.

Your products are good enough without the need to be inaccruate. You should also mention that you have higher upload speeds which benefits VoIP and SOHO users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

The presentation was probably compiled before the dsl upgrade which may explain why they're out of date. I'm encouraged by the fact that they'll be announcing the upgrades later in the month. Wonder if they'll change the cap to a more improved one though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

I can't see them only upgrading Galway with the rest of the ISPs upgrading to 1/2MB.

NTL called me last night to tell me that I could now avail of NTL Broadband and the guy also mentioned that the speeds were being increased to 1Mb, 2Mb and 3Mb for each package. I live on the southside of Dublin. I was only interested in the higher end package which costs €50 per month at the moment, and he said the price was being reduced to €45.

I'm sure all of this is in another thread on Boards, but I haven't checked yet :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

If they follow the UK lead and put caps at 3GB per month/1GB per day/1GB per day for the respective tariffs I'll be "downgrading" to 2MB.
    2MB is fast enought really and it's a tenner less with the same cap as the 3MB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Thats encouraging news.Fingers crossed they will upgrade in dublin and from what Serbian its looking good.From 750k to 2meg for same price where can you go wrong.Will they have to upgrade the cable modems like the ones on the galway presentation? Or will our/my modem be ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Ave a question know its slightly off topic, with the modem you get from ntl how many ports are there? is there two ethernet ports or one usb, one ethernet?

• Advertisement

Dave6195 wrote:
    Ave a question know its slightly off topic, with the modem you get from ntl how many ports are there? is there two ethernet ports or one usb, one ethernet?

There is 1 ethernet and 1 USB port. I am not sure if they can be used at the same time. I don't think so.

Our current modems should be fine going by what is going on in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

mad m wrote:
    Thats encouraging news.Fingers crossed they will upgrade in dublin and from what Serbian its looking good.From 750k to 2meg for same price where can you go wrong.Will they have to upgrade the cable modems like the ones on the galway presentation? Or will our/my modem be ok?
    digital tv stb's had to be upgraded in the uk to handle the extra speed, but i don't think they're used as modems over here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Serbian wrote:
    NTL called me last night to tell me that I could now avail of NTL Broadband and the guy also mentioned that the speeds were being increased to 1Mb, 2Mb and 3Mb for each package. I live on the southside of Dublin. I was only interested in the higher end package which costs €50 per month at the moment, and he said the price was being reduced to €45.

I'm sure all of this is in another thread on Boards, but I haven't checked yet :p

woohoo!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I have the modem in D9 that is pictured in theGalway presentation.

It has one ethernet and one USB. I have it working with a Netgear wireless router (with 4 ethernet ports also), sharing with 2 other computers, no problems.

The NTL modem should also work with a cheap switch (see Komplett for a 8 port switch for €18).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

From the bottom of th page with the speeds.....
    *New speeds to be announced publicly this month
    **from May 2005

'bout time!! cant wait for the 2Mbps, wonder if the upload is changing too, no mention of it on the presentation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

From the bottom of th page with the speeds.....
    *New speeds to be announced publicly this month
    **from May 2005
    Link?

seamus wrote:
    Link?

FuzzyWuzzyWazza is talking about the attached PowerPoint presentation in the first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

seamus wrote:
    Link?

It's in the presentation...

Also from todays indo...
    THE sale of NTL's Irish cable TV business took another twist yesterday as it emerged that the NTL group is actually selling the Irish operation to merchant bank Morgan Stanley, which represents UGC, the firm that submitted the highest bid.

It had been expected that the sale would go ahead to UGC subject to Competition Authority approval. However, NTL is anxious to process the sale as quickly as possible ahead of its merger with Telewest. As a result, Morgan Stanley, UGC's merchant bankers, will purchase the company.

Known in the industry as "warehousing", the deal means that the Irish assets will be parked with the merchant bank until any sale-related negotiations are finalised.

C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Has anyone heard of the upload speeds goin up, jus been lookin at the uk site and they have 100/200/300 kb upload speeds.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Jaques

Hi All,

I got the max pacakge not too long ago, still on my last free month.

I just thought I would let you know that I got one of they A4 sheets with the pricing and everything, but the important thing is that the employee who sent me this had written on it by hand... and I quote:

Allowable Data Usage: ***** (he crossed out the 30GB)
    Then he has written:

"Uncapped at present. If a limit does come in it will be 30GB a month"

This was on February 13th I got this letter.

//Jan

• Advertisement
Advertisement