Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity rights for students

Options
  • 12-04-2005 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

This may not be the right forum but any help appreciated. I urgently need to find out about maternity rights/equality legislation for students in third level institutions. Can't say much more at the moment. Anyone got any useful links?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

feck all AFAIK, its not a job there is no employment contract as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

i was asked to leave once i hit 7 months due to insurence reasons!(2nd level) You should talk to the councler of your school they will know best!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Nuttzz wrote:
    feck all AFAIK, its not a job there is no employment contract as such.

Yes, that is something you must remember college is not a job, depite the similarities, of getting up every day and going in and doing stuff, you don't get paid, or have a contract

The only thing I could find (and I looked at my alma mater of UCC) was that you can skip the summer exams and repeat in the autumn without the 40% cap

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The Equal Status Act probably means a benign régime must be provided for preganant women / breastfeeding mothers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

Victor wrote:
    The Equal Status Act probably means a benign régime must be provided for preganant women / breastfeeding mothers.

That's the situation. It appears to be a legal grey area. As someone pointed out, they have no right to maternity leave as an employee might, but equally the uni may be in breach of the equality act. It's a question of relying on the goodwill of the institution but also in the interests of the institution not to draw equality problems on themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If a college provides for say, people with disabilities (many will provide screen readers, laptops, etc. for exams) then at a very minimum you could insist on comparable standards being applied in the case of maternity.

Advertisement