Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Mini DV - Vision Mixer?

• 12-04-2005 10:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭

I was wondering if it is possible to get a vision mixer that can take video from standard Mini DV camcorders with Firewire outputs on them?

I have several Mini DV cameras and want to be able to shoot live discussions without having to edit things together in post production.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Not via firewire afaik, as that's just a data stream. I would suggest you output analogue and get an analogue mixer. If you could buy a firewire mixer, I'm sure it'd be expensive.

I was wrong, you can.... but it's expensive, a 4 channel Firewire mixer is £2995 not inc. Vat

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Lump wrote:
    I was wrong, you can.... but it's expensive, a 4 channel Firewire mixer is £2995 not inc. Vat

John
    Do you have a link for that?

I think I was thinking I might have to spend around €5000 any way.

EDIT: Ah.. I think I found it.

Is this it:

http://www.holdan.co.uk/datavideo/se800.htm

A very nice peice of kit. I'll have to try and find the funding now.

Thanks.

Yea that was it. BTW why do you want to go live? You could get a damn good editing system for €5000

John

Lump wrote:
    Yea that was it. BTW why do you want to go live? You could get a damn good editing system for €5000

John
    Already have 3 Final Cut Pro Based Edit suites.

But I need to be able to output hour long discussion programmes on a weekly basis. And there just wouldn't be enough time to edit it all together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

But I need to be able to output hour long discussion programmes on a weekly basis. And there just wouldn't be enough time to edit it all together.

Monkey fudge I assume you're involved with DCTV, how are ya'll getting on?

• Advertisement

mycroft wrote:
    Monkey fudge I assume you're involved with DCTV, how are ya'll getting on?
    Actually I'm involved with Community Empowerment Television (COMET) we're essentially one of the production companies for DCTV. We'll be providing content from the North East of Dublin.

But DCTV is coming along well. They recently produced a very good promotional video. They also have a website up and running at http://www.dctv.ie/

Oh I see. Well if it's community based I'm sure you can get discounts etc. Best of luck with it.

John

Advertisement