Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a sample OOP ADO.NET link.

Options
  • 12-04-2005 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Im looking for an example of a VB.NET and ADO.NET project thats Object Oriented. Theres no shortage of basic examples out there but now that Im starting this stuff, I was hoping to view a fully OO project so I get it right from the start. If anyone has any links to a project that would demonstate this(either SQL server or Oracle), Id appreciate it.
    Thanks a mil ! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

If you download the starter packs on www.asp.net they are done that way. However when I checked they weren't really small easy projects that you could take a quick look to get a hang on OO concepts with .Net but depends on how much time you want to put into reading them. I didn't want to put a lot in :)

there is also a book called ASP.NET distributed data applications. The book is geared towards creating n-tier applications with ASP.Net so will take you through the basics first :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

There's two kind of ways of looking at this, one is that you want to use ADO.Net which happens to be OO, or the other is that you want to have a fully OO designed data driven system. For the second way, which is what I think you mean, there's an article done by a guy in microsoft I found usefull here , page2 , page3.

The actual design he ends up with is a bit complicated if you're just starting off, messing around a bit, but the concept is pretty good. When you've got the concepts behind it you can start off small, maybe just write a few objects each one accessing a different table in your database, loading a record into a private datarow and exposing public properties to access each of the fields. Then add extra stuff in, such as giving a Customer class a function to return an array/collection of Orders objects (each one being one of the customers orders etc). Once it clicks, it's all really very simple, it's just getting it to click in the first place is the problem.

edit: I just realised that I'm assuming here that you are already familiar with OO and are just looking to see how to apply it to a data driven application. If you're not familiar with OO, forget about ADO for a while and just look for something that'll teach you the basics of OO first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Thanks for the replies guys. I know enough about OOP, was just hopin to see some projects on how it was implemented in VB and ADO.net. And rob some code too! Some good links there, should keep me busy.

I also came across this site which provides a large Data access class and examples on how to call it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=76fe2b16-3271-42c2-b138-2891102590ad&DisplayLang=en

Advertisement