Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

german oral

Options
  • 12-04-2005 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Has anyone done their german oral yet? Has anyone talked about a film or project? How did that go? Any advice? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭sarahg_angel69

hey..no havnt done them yet..m terrified..we doing the picture sequences and the role plays tho...shud really start to learn them *looking doubtful*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

isnt it scary to kno that we could go in and walk away with almost full marks by learnin the damn pic seqs/roleplays that we got like a year ago!!!
    it scares me coz i'm only really doin them now......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Pity we don't have them in French :(. Apparently, they used to have pic sequences and role plays but ppl with no clue of French were walking away with full marks coz all you had to do was learn them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

so theres still hope for us in german then!!
    I think the main thing with roleplays is to listen to what the examiner asks cos i know ive a habit of just saying what ive learned and forgetting to answer their question properly!

With the role plays and pictures and then questions on pictures, do ye think there'll be any chance they could throw in a current affairs question like the other orals or would we be safe to leave that out?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

They will never ask anything topical at the moment. Its just opinion on the issue, for instance in the Auslanderin one they could ask you is there racism in Ireland or something like that. Its not too difficult as far as i gather.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

Ich habe es schon am Dienstag gemacht! I'm doing Irish next week. It went fairly ok except the more I think about it, the more mistakes I made............ Neway the bildergeschichte I got was handy in der schule ( :D !) and he asked me pretty standard stuff, and I got Sprachkurs for the Rollenspiel. The only thing with that was he didn't stick to the candidates card thing and start asking me about the family I was au-pairing for and about what exact course I wanted ie length, level etc. He also suggested that I could do English lessons to pay for the german lessons (because I reacted saying that the course was very expensive), but his responses varied so no predictions! Overall it went well.............i hope! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

20mins isn't it? Well thats double the 10mins allocated for the French. The main difference being is that us German heads get the Roleplays and Picture Sequence/Project(really glad i done it, so easy and much better than pic stories which i did in 5th year) and also a general conversation to start us off that only lasts about 5mins. Whereas the French heads only get 10mins and can bring in a picture if they want.
    I asked my teacher if they ask any current stuff like the Irish and she said no but if the examiner thinks ur able and the opportunity arises will ask u the examiner will push u. I'm going to have N.I prepared, linking it in by saying i went there with my family or something and then talk about the current situation there. Anything that u can talk about that seperates u from another student will gain u marks.
    The german oral is the easiest 25points in the whole leaving cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 adiii

do you need to have pictures as well as the text for the project? should the text be exactely what you'll be saying? But can the examiner then not see that is all learnt off by heart... very confused... :( What questions will they ask afterwards? Why you have chosen the topic and how you got your information? What else?

What did u get asked about, those who did it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mines on Friday at 10.30 so say a prayer :D

I know the Orals are going on all week in other schools this week tho..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Clearly I'm the only person here who did it. Well listen up, and this goes for every subject

A) Dont listen to people saying" dont wear in armbands they will ask you". People who say this are utter retards and should fail their leaving cert they are so ****ing retarted. You are asked 6 minutes of general questions. They ask you your name,exam number,family,area,hobbies,school,what you did last summer what you will do next summer. Thats it.

B)Picture sequences are simple. Use simple german and two lines each max. On most of them use times to introduce the picture, for instance in the computer games one, picture where they guy kncoks on the door. "Um vier uhr" Lead in each picture with a time it helps to keep you going and gives you time to think.

C)For the future projection start every single one with " Herr/Frau Schmidt sehr arglich". Every single person is angry at the end, except the racism one. This gives you one line out of 3-5. THen just go on.

D)Roleplays are slightly harder and require some study, I didnt study, pulled me arm, got the Sprachkurse and walked it, just keep simple german. Dont mind looking at the examiner or anything look at the page.

E)The examiner is there to helpyou, if you dont know something dont be afriad to ask the examiner by miming etc, in both my irish and german i signalled for help and they helped me, in german she even stopped the tape and told me what to say, they are there to help you so it should be easy.

F)Everyone says to you "talk as much as you can" Another rather stupid statement. If they ask you "Do you like School?" and you rant of about your subjects or uniform etc, in english if someone goes " Do you like school?" and you say " I do blah blah blah my uniform is this colour blah" Talk as you would in life, its a conversation, of course say things and elaborate abut dont rant, too many people i saw in the exam pissed the examiner off by talking in a way that was unrealistic.

G)Chill out and relax. My exam was at 2 or something, and i trapsed back from lunch at 1:57. If you sit and study etc you will piss yourself and get pressured, by all emans study but dont panic and sit there ****ting. If it goes well thats 20 % or 25%, but you dont fail on orals, you fail on writing.

And remember even if you do fail you never fail lower then 38-39% fact, examiners are instructed not to, they wont fail you below that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Clearly I'm the only person here who did it. Well listen up, and this goes for every subject

A) Dont listen to people saying" dont wear in armbands they will ask you". People who say this are utter retards and should fail their leaving cert they are so ****ing retarted. You are asked 6 minutes of general questions. They ask you your name,exam number,family,area,hobbies,school,what you did last summer what you will do next summer. Thats it.

B)Picture sequences are simple. Use simple german and two lines each max. On most of them use times to introduce the picture, for instance in the computer games one, picture where they guy kncoks on the door. "Um vier uhr" Lead in each picture with a time it helps to keep you going and gives you time to think.

C)For the future projection start every single one with " Herr/Frau Schmidt sehr arglich". Every single person is angry at the end, except the racism one. This gives you one line out of 3-5. THen just go on.

D)Roleplays are slightly harder and require some study, I didnt study, pulled me arm, got the Sprachkurse and walked it, just keep simple german. Dont mind looking at the examiner or anything look at the page.

E)The examiner is there to helpyou, if you dont know something dont be afriad to ask the examiner by miming etc, in both my irish and german i signalled for help and they helped me, in german she even stopped the tape and told me what to say, they are there to help you so it should be easy.

F)Everyone says to you "talk as much as you can" Another rather stupid statement. If they ask you "Do you like School?" and you rant of about your subjects or uniform etc, in english if someone goes " Do you like school?" and you say " I do blah blah blah my uniform is this colour blah" Talk as you would in life, its a conversation, of course say things and elaborate abut dont rant, too many people i saw in the exam pissed the examiner off by talking in a way that was unrealistic.

G)Chill out and relax. My exam was at 2 or something, and i trapsed back from lunch at 1:57. If you sit and study etc you will piss yourself and get pressured, by all emans study but dont panic and sit there ****ting. If it goes well thats 20 % or 25%, but you dont fail on orals, you fail on writing.

And remember even if you do fail you never fail lower then 38-39% fact, examiners are instructed not to, they wont fail you below that.
    ....put it better than i ever could, nothing to be worried about, i played for my friends music practical and legged it upstairs to do my exam 5 mins later, so much fun

had mine today went great. Talked about the basic stuff in the general conversation - went grand. Then she stopped tape marked me, start talkiing to me in english for a minute, then project. I did mine on a german city and i mentioned a castle there, she asked why are castles in germany bigger than in ireland? Apart from that it was grand. Flew through the roleplay. i think i got 39/40 for something. If u lean over far enough u can see your mark. Couldnt believe how relaxed it was. For some lads in my school, she stopped the tape and said u didnt do very well on the questions im going to ask u some more to get a higher mark, and rewound it. My god i couldnt believe that. Kept talking in english in between the parts of the exam when she stopped the tape, even though i was talking back in german. weird. is this the way it is for everybody or????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

Randomfella, that sounds like a dream. Mine's tomorrow (friday morning). Hopefully I get the same examiner.. haha.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Had a female examiner who arrived late this morning! Most people didnt do great because they didnt prepare, she helped most of them a lot from what I hear.

I went in, got the usual general questions (one on why I was working in a pub?!), the the Muslim Girl Picture story which I failed with flying colours, then the Rolepay called School Interview which I didnt do to badly in apart from a few questions such as "Who is St. Patrick? Is he in the school or church?" Seemed like a retarded question if you ask me!

Overall, I was pleased. She marked me with the sheet on her lap, a good bit away from me :S lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

Just had mine, our examiner was running really late, she was an hour and a half late for us and we had to wait around till after school. I saw my general conversation mark was 34/40, got the same in the pre n wanted to improve on it but oh well!! the time flies!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

I had a great examiner, but I went blank on my project and ****ed it all up.

Advertisement