Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cure for Hiccups?

• 12-04-2005 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help?

Nala

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭lilulila

omg i am sitting here in work for the last 20 mins with hicups and i cant get rid of them. i hope we get a reply with a cure soon lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I just hold me breath for as long as possible. It ALWAYS works for me without fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Unit00

Holding my breath for ten seconds cures my hiccups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

............BOOOOOO!!!!!!!..........

did that help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

i find that coughing to induce a hiccup and then holding my breath before it can escape works sometimes.

death is the only guaranteed cure...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

yup - hold breath for as long as possible.... and release slowly!!!

another one that works really well for me is this:
    Drink a glass of water from below ur chin.
    - hold the glass below your chin - tilt ur head down and catch the lip of the glass so you can drink from it. the more you tilt your head down, the glass is able to tilt to pur water into your mouth from behind.
    Kinda like drinking doggy style!
    Keep on drinking without stoping.

No idea where I remember coming across it.. but it's worked for me! (just dont let another catch you doing it in the office.... looks weird!!)

Anyone else heard of that... or can discribe it better!! lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭annette curtain

do a handstand and drink a glass of water......i think the idea is that your so busy trying not to spill the water or fall over that your hiccups go away!!

best thing is to hold ur breath 4 1 minute!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

block your ears (or get someone to block them or hold the glass) and drink as much water as u can at the same time...worked every time i've tried it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

whiskeyman wrote:
    yup - hold breath for as long as possible.... and release slowly!!!

another one that works really well for me is this:
    Drink a glass of water from below ur chin.
    - hold the glass below your chin - tilt ur head down and catch the lip of the glass so you can drink from it. the more you tilt your head down, the glass is able to tilt to pur water into your mouth from behind.
    Kinda like drinking doggy style!
    Keep on drinking without stoping.

No idea where I remember coming across it.. but it's worked for me! (just dont let another catch you doing it in the office.... looks weird!!)

Anyone else heard of that... or can discribe it better!! lol!

Take a drink of water, dont swallow it yet, bend over as if to touch your toes, drink the mouthful of water now.

Repeat as necessary, Three or four times should be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

Strip off and run through your office screaming 'I'm a little teacup' for 5 minutes, that will get rid of it for sure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

What did you have for dinner last night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

If you are near a bar get a piece of lemon, ask the bartender to put agustoura bitters on it and then coat it in sugar and suck it. Someone explained it to me once but it releases the tension in your stomach and cures em - garenteed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭grimsbymatt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiccup

Check it out. 68 years!!!

According to an article I read, they're not caused by something physical, but more likely by a design flaw in the brain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Drink water and swallow it with your mouth open. Just put your head back and open your mouth as if you were gurgling, but swallow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Relax and concentrate on your body and think yourself to stopping them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

take the biggest breath you can, tense your stomach muscles. now from a sitting position put your head between your knees tenseing your stomach as hard as you can and hold that breath till you feel like your going to pass out, when you feel like you are hold it for 10more seconds and they will be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Tiffany

Hold your breath for as long as possible, but remember to resume breathing when your face starts turning blue...

Advertisement