Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test tomorrow - Oh dear

Options
  • 12-04-2005 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Have my test tomorrow, 2nd time doing it, so fingers crossed! I failed on observation the last time, so ill have my head stuck out the windscreen this time!

Quick question though, as I lost the little info sheet I had. What are the 10 questions they can ask you re the engine/tyres/etc.? Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

Here you go:

Technical Checks.
    You will be asked to explain how a check would be performed on any three of the following-
    (a) tyres, (b) lights, (c) reflectors, (d) indicators, (e) engine oil, (f) coolant,
    (g) windscreen washer fluid, (h) steering, (i) brakes, (j) horn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

JohnCleary wrote:
    Have my test tomorrow, 2nd time doing it, so fingers crossed! I failed on observation the last time, so ill have my head stuck out the windscreen this time!

Quick question though, as I lost the little info sheet I had. What are the 10 questions they can ask you re the engine/tyres/etc.? Any help greatly appreciated!

best not to worry ... its only a 12 month wait if you need a retest :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

meepmeep wrote:
    Here you go:

Technical Checks.
    You will be asked to explain how a check would be performed on any three of the following-
    (a) tyres, (b) lights, (c) reflectors, (d) indicators, (e) engine oil, (f) coolant,

Presumably the answer would go as follows, can someone correct whereever wrong:

(A) check treads and edges of wheel for signs of wear
    (B) make sure all levels of lights work when turned on (dipped/fullbeam)
    (C) Shine a light in them to make sure they reflect
    (D) turn them on to make sure they work
    (E) use the dipstick
    (F) check the bottle under the bonnet
    (G) as above
    (H) check the power stearing fluid (unless it's electrical)
    (i) ?? make sure the lights come on when brakes pressed, make sure they're not spoongy when pressing
    (j) ?? press it to make sure it works

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

meepmeep wrote:
    Here you go:

Technical Checks.

Thanks for that, im doing a pre-test tomorrow anyway so im sure the lad will run through it with me... Just to be sure though!

Presumably the answer would go as follows, can someone correct whereever wrong:

(A) check treads and edges of wheel for signs of wear
    (B) make sure all levels of lights work when turned on (dipped/fullbeam)
    (C) Shine a light in them to make sure they reflect
    (D) turn them on to make sure they work
    (E) use the dipstick
    (F) check the bottle under the bonnet
    (G) as above
    (H) check the power stearing fluid (unless it's electrical)
    (i) ?? make sure the lights come on when brakes pressed, make sure they're not spoongy when pressing
    (j) ?? press it to make sure it works

The brakes one one has me too... 'Check that car stops when you hit the pedal' maybe? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually guys, quickie. My gf has hers in a few days, and she's done a few extra lessons with a place (she's been living in London the last 6 months, so a bit out of practice). He was running through the under the bonnet bits, and pointed at a fuild container, saying this was the steering fluid.

So I was running through it with her again later, and she points to this container, and says "Steering fluid". Now, this is a '97 Micra, and I know it doesn't have power steering, so I look at the container, and it's brake fluid. OK, easy mistake to make, it's at the back of the engine cavity (near the driver) and not that close to the brakes.

So she's go back to him and says this, "Oh so it is", he remarks, but then asserts that even non power-steering has fluid of some kind, and directs her to a completely unmarked cylinder, on the opposite side of the engine to the brake fluid, saying this is the steering fluid.

This is where I'm unsure. First off, the cylinder is completely unmarked - an unlikely thing if it's supposed to be user-maintainable steering fluid. It's also a perfect cylinder, no grooves or curves, and sharp corners. In that respect it reminds me more of an electrical component.

Does non power steering have fluid?

Other than that his advice was perfectly sound, so he's not a cowboy.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You can have manual steering (with no fluids), Power Assisted Steering [PAS] and Power Steering which both have fluids and some modern cars have electronic steering.
    If yours doesn't have power steering or PAS then it would be a manual one with no fluids.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CTU_Agent

This is where I'm unsure. First off, the cylinder is completely unmarked - an unlikely thing if it's supposed to be user-maintainable steering fluid. It's also a perfect cylinder, no grooves or curves, and sharp corners. In that respect it reminds me more of an electrical component.

Does non power steering have fluid?

Other than that his advice was perfectly sound, so he's not a cowboy.

From the shape it sounds like a fuel filter... best way to tell ...buy a haynes manual for your car they cost about 25.00 euro and will detail everything under the bonnet and how to fix just about everyting in the car....with pics...

ns9bg1 wrote:
    From the shape it sounds like a fuel filter... best way to tell ...buy a haynes manual for your car they cost about 25.00 euro and will detail everything under the bonnet and how to fix just about everyting in the car....with pics...
    Ah it's not my car, not spending any money on it :)

Just want to make sure that if she says "My car doesn't have power steering, therefore there's no steering fluid" (like I've told her), she'll be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

seamus wrote:
    Now, this is a '97 Micra, and I know it doesn't have power steering, so I look at the container, and it's brake fluid.

As far as I know all Irish Nissan Micras from 1993 had power steering as standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

My mothers Irish 96 micra does not have Power Assisted Steering or power steering yet my girlfriends old Jap import 92 micra had full power steering.

bazz26 wrote:
    As far as I know all Irish Nissan Micras from 1993 had power steering as standard.
    This one definitely doesn't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

seamus wrote:
    ... First off, the cylinder is completely unmarked - an unlikely thing if it's supposed to be user-maintainable steering fluid. It's also a perfect cylinder, no grooves or curves, and sharp corners. In that respect it reminds me more of an electrical component.
    ns9bg1 wrote:

eh ... Maybe it's the alarm !!! :D

Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Take Rescue Remedy, great for calming you down. I'd say its all alcohol though :P.

My mother told me that she had some brandy before doing her test - Don't think youd get away with that now!

Unsurprisingly, she passed with flying colours :eek:
    ...Oh I wish I could have done my test 25 years ago

I passed my test today with flying colours - Only got 2 Grade 2's!!!
    I'm so chuffed - And its my 19th birthday too... what a present!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

Woohooo!

Congratulations and all that.

Have my own in a few weeks.....I'll be a nervous wreck :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Well done !

Seven Worlds will Collide

In fairness I was a wreck sitting in the waiting room.. waiting is the worst part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

meepmeep wrote:
    Here you go:

Technical Checks.

is this something new, i did my test just over a year ago and there was nothing about changing oil or coolant etc back then. Only thing i remember was showing i knew the controls in the car like hazard lights and the mist thingy for the back window etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement