Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vpn Over Iolbb Disconnecting

• 12-04-2005 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I am using vpn over iolbb and am getting disconnected on a regular basis. I have tested my laptop from a different location using bb and did not have any problems. I have spoken to bt and they say its not a line fault as my ie does not disconnect. To reconnect I have to reset my modem to get back in.

I may be talking rubbish but is it possible that ie is not as sensitive sending and receiving packets as vpn client is and that is why my ie does not disconnect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Clairec

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

IE meaning Internet Explorer? It doesn't use connections in the sense that VPN does. IE makes a connection every time you make a request and then closes it down again so unless you happen to have a problem at the instance you're loading the page you wouldn't notice the problem with IE. IE is a particularly bad way to determine intermittent connection problems...

I thought I've heard lots of IOLBB users complaining about disconnects?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

yep, get disconnects here too, IE, firefox, emule, azeurus, etc, anything, its become alot less frequent than when I first got it, actually it started dropping after I got the wireless router, but when I read other people had the same problem, I ruled that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Saw a similar type problem in a company I did some work for. To solve, I bought a Dlink ADSL router (a good few grades up from the IOL supplied one) and also applied for a static IP address.
    What was happening was, the connection was dropping and as soon as it came back up a new IP was being assigned. Bit of a strange one, but as soon as solution was put in place, no more problems were experienced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 clairec

Cheers everyone you've been very helpful.

I think I'll try the Dlink ADSL suggestion.

Clairec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

Can I just add, depending on what programmes you use, the modem that IOL supply can be crashed if you try and make too many connections per second. eMule, Shareaza and other file sharing programmes tend to do this. The solution is to set the programme(s) to create less connections (check the support forum for the app you use). If you're using Windows XP SP2, it limits the number of connections which actually helps.

In relation to IOL disconnects, they do renew their IP address every 24 hours so this can cause a disconnect. All the recent issues you're reading about relate to the speed upgrade and it's normal to have such issues as 1mbit and 2mbit connection really show up bad phone lines (high line noise,etc). A lot of Eircom users are having the same issues.

- Neil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

ya makes sense, i noticed when I have emule and azeurus running at the same time it tends to drop the connection more frequently.

would a better modem fix this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

Yes, but it's also possible to reduce the number of connections that eMule tries to make per second. This should help or stop all the connection problems. I don't know the settings off-hand so your best bet is either Google or the eMule forums.

- Neil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

Bts Gras system is touchy at the best of times even if they tell you the line is fine the VPN connection can drop for host of reasons including problems with the gateway.Also sometimes a timeout feature is enabled after a certain length of inactivity for security reasons.

Advertisement