Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good old games that will work on a p2 laptop??

Options
  • 12-04-2005 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

i dont have a decent pc any more and until i get a new one i only have an auld p2 300mhz laptop that i just use for browsing the web.
    Can anyone recommend any good old games that will run on it and keep me entertained?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Starcraft and quake 1, you need no other games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Half Life
    Command and Conquer Red Alert
    SiN
    Quake I and II
    Unreal Tournament
    Delta Force
    Sim City
    Kingpin
    Unreal
    Mega Drive and Snes Roms

That would be what I'd play, being a FPS/strategy man myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

civilization 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Half Life
    Unreal Tournament
    Delta Force
    Kingpin
    Unreal

That would be what I'd play, being a FPS/strategy man myself.

yes so am i but i dint think those games would run on a p2 300 with only 2mb video ram..?

ta for the other suggestions

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They will run but in software mode at low res.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The original GTA will run great on it, and is now free to download (legally), I don't have the link to hand but it was linked on rockstars site, probably still there. Duke3D will run perfectly aswell if you can get your hands on it, I still see it the odd time in budget sections, you'll probably be able to pick it up for around a fiver. I think the original Delta Force should be fine too, I don't think it really took much advantage of 3D cards.

edit: Found the link, http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/ , it has GTA1 & 2 and Wild Metal whatever that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

diablo 1 can be a fairly diverting mindless clicker...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Talking about Duke 3D the source code was released a while ago and is now free to download. There is also a program out that allows it to be played on Windows XP. Also the source code for Shadow Warrior was released recently as well and there is an XP program available as well. IMO its a better game than Duke.

Blood is another great Build engine game that is available through abandonware sites but the legality is a bit dodgy.

Another good abandonware game is exhumed/powerslave. I'm playing the saturn version at the moment and its quite enjoyable. The PC version is meant to be better.

From Bungies site you can get all 3 marathon games and adelphone, a program that allows the games to be played on windows. The first one is okay but has a great story. The 2nd and 3rd games are fantastic.

The abandonware sites are great for getting your hands on some old classics.

Get some emulators and roms. Every console up to the high end 16-bit systems such as the Snes and MegaDrive will run perfect on your system. Most mame games will run perfect and Neo Geo games will run very well on NeoRage emulator.

Have fun.

Unreal

Please don't consider this game. While I love the tournament games Unreal is muck. Now that the graphics are terrible there really is nothing to disguise what a terrible game it is.

exhumed/powerslave. I'm playing the saturn version at the moment

Ah I remember playing that on the Saturn....great game, used to for some reason love the M-60 model :)

Why is it called Power Slave on the PC? Dumb name, pretty uninspiring. Exhumed....now thats a name, and a hell of a good game!

Am actually looking for this on the PSone at the moment, I have the PC version but desperately want to be able play this while in the car on my PSone with the screen and while visiting my grandmothers house etc...

• Advertisement

Please don't consider this game. While I love the tournament games Unreal is muck. Now that the graphics are terrible there really is nothing to disguise what a terrible game it is.

Yeah, without the eye candy factor its a bit hollow but nonetheless I still think its mildly enjoyable, but.....then again I'm a hardcore FPS fan that would pretty much play anything... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

The PSX and Saturn versions of Exhumed/Powerslave are considerably different to the PC version (ie, the pc version sucks :confused: )

Get the PSX version. Brilliant game.

Oh, another recommendation for Blood. It's my favourite fps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

pac man and space invaders there always fun :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

You can play Beneath a Steel Sky (freeware :)) and various other adventure games using ScummVM.

The PSX and Saturn versions of Exhumed/Powerslave are considerably different to the PC version (ie, the pc version sucks :confused: )

Get the PSX version. Brilliant game.

Thought the PC version was meant to be good but underrated by magazines and such because of the dated graphics. BTW the PSX is vastly inferior to the saturn version

Its surprisingly good after the dull first few levels and is technically excellent for a saturn game. It's not unlike Metroid Prime in ways. I think some of lobotamy software joined with iguana to form retro studios.
    Why is it called Power Slave on the PC? Dumb name, pretty uninspiring. Exhumed....now thats a name, and a hell of a good game!

It was called Powerslave in america and japan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Thought the PC version was meant to be good but underrated by magazines and such because of the dated graphics. BTW the PSX is vastly inferior to the saturn version

Its surprisingly good after the dull first few levels and is technically excellent for a saturn game. It's not unlike Metroid Prime in ways. I think some of lobotamy software joined with iguana to form retro studios.
    the pc version was fairly **** tbh... not a terrible game by any means, just nowhere near as good as duke/blood. (i have yet to play shadow warrior :o )

tman wrote:
    i have yet to play shadow warrior :o

'Lo Wang soap you good!'

What a classic game :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

i liked unreal personally, but it won't run properly on your system anyway (although UT will). Have used both on a p2 350. UT worked fine, Unreal skipped badly when there was a lot of action around the player.

i have yet to play shadow warrior

If only 3d Realms would release a disc for consoles containing Duke 3d, Blood and Shadow Warrior.....

Those old build games are some of the greatest classics.

Shadow Warrior is just brilliant, and you can get it easily from alot of old abandonware sites.

You guys ever play those terrible build games WWII GI and NAM? Now they were BAD.

They released them in about 2000 (when UT and Q3 were around) and they were even bad by other Build games standards

And BTW - retr0gamer you can probably help me with this - what was the name of that asian build game, the one where they made an entire game without licensing the engine? I can't remember what it was called but it was quite good too with some excellent modifications to the build engine....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

fallout,fallout 2,civ 2/3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

Frontier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Another vote for fallout 1/2 here.

Planescape torment should work on a p2 300, also Incubation.....

Can't think of anything that hasn't been mentioned really.

Advertisement