Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing Ceramic Tiles from Plasterboard

Options
  • 12-04-2005 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, any advice on how best to go about this without destroying the plasterboard?
    Ive already had to rip the plasterboard out from around the shower/bath area as it was rotten so would prefer not to have to redo the entire room.
    Im hoping a couple of chisels and a hammer will do the trick, but I have a feeling the tiles were put straight onto the untreated plasterboard so at very least the backing will probably come off.
    Whats the best way to go about sealing the new plasterboard to get it ready for the new tiles, some sort of unibond coating all over it?
    Can I then tile straight onto that?
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Greebo, more than likely the plasterboard will come off with the tiles...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Greebo,

There is a waterproof plaster board available for the areas you have to replace, you could tape the joints and apply two coats of polybond to seal the paper but make sure it is dry before you start tiling again.

It is possible to tile over ceramic tiles so you might not have to take them all off.

Make sure you use the finishing beads set in silicone around the shower and bath before you start tiling.

Enjoy .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

greebo,
    I did this job last year - the tiles will take off the paper coating on the plasterboard and if not -it will leave an uneven surface which will be impossible ti tile onto.

Best bet and quickest is to take the platerboard and tiles off completely and glue on new waterproof plaster board onto the walls and screw same onto partitions etc.

my bathroom came up lovely and its so much easier to start from a clean flat surface,

karl.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Thanks guys, yeah I was thinking that at least timewise it will be easier to just take down the existing plasterboard, tiles 'n all.
    I'll look into your suggestions Pete, thx.

GreeBo.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

As the lads said GreeBo, we did a number of bathroom, retiling, first one we thought we could manage to get the tiles off but alas no, make sure you replace the plasterboard with the waterproof type (green).
    Apply a PVA bonding though first onto the plasterboard before you apply adhesive

Found this site for you, maybe of interest

http://www.phlexicare.com/catalogue_pdfs/TILE_BRO.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

FYI, my new technique for getting the tiles off without destoying the plaster board is as follows:
    Get a hammer and wallop the bejesus out of the tiles, starting from the top.
    The tile will break up from the impact but the plasterboard will be fine underneath, you can then just scrape off the excess putty with a wallpaper scraper etc.
    Leaves the walls fine for re-tiling.

Just be careful that you dont hit the same spot on a tile too often, otherwise you will punch a hole in the plasterboard :eek:

Advertisement