Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iol cap up and down now combined

• 12-04-2005 2:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

the new 24 gb cap is now combined. i was talking to "steven h" on esat live help. he said that it was ok to download 16 gb and upload 8 gb and you were not breaking the cap. however anymore on either up or down and you would be.
    this new cap is now worse than it was before.
    i used to upload 15 gb and download 15 gb all the time but can no longer to this.
    are they not breaking the contract that was signed before.

and for anybody that says that the cap was not combined before i quote their faq:

"Is there going to be a data transfer limit?
    You are entitled to free upload or download of up to 16Gigabytes of data in any given month. This is double the allowance on the eircom home starter plus service.

If you go over this generous limit then we reserve the right to charge you for any additional data (at 3cent inc VAT per MB)

The 16GB limit refers to both upload and download. You will be entitled to use 16GB in either direction without penalty. i.e. you can upload 15GB and download 15GB in the same month without penalty. However if you upload 4GB and download 17GB then your account will be suspended

This data allowance is calculated on a daily basis and if you are consistently above this amount we reserve the right to suspend or permanently disconnect your account during the first month you go over it."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

So basically they just change the wording of 16 up/down to 24 to make it look better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Does the monkey you were talking to actually know what he is on about? I find that very hard to believe - there is no reason to go for EsatBT then if they combined their cap. Holy Jesus......I upload as much as I download ~15Gb both ways MY CAP HAS NOW WORSTENED!!! I don't believe this, I just can't - no one else is doing this. It's to tackle bittorrent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

Excuse my French but that is un****ingbelievable. That is majorly disappointing. In reality its less of a cap than before. Before you could transfer 32GB. Now you can only transfer 24GB. I was going to sign up TODAY to Esat/IOLs new offer but after hearding that Im going to leave it. Its a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

Screw that sh!t.............I'll download up to 24GB GB this month and mabye upload 12GB.

We will see what they say then......!!!

There was a load of talk about this when we had the 16GB CAP.
    Uploading 24GB in a month would be almost impossible IMHO....but downloading 24GB would be easy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The statement you have pasted, and what you say are contradicting eachother.

The 16GB limit refers to both upload and download. You will be entitled to use 16GB in either direction without penalty. i.e. you can upload 15GB and download 15GB in the same month without penalty. However if you upload 4GB and download 17GB then your account will be suspended.

This means if you break 16 gigs in any direction, they reserve the right to charge or whatever. Which means you have a 16gig down, and a 16 gig up.

What you are saying now is, that even though it is 24 gigs, if you downloaded 12 gigs, and uploaded 12 gigs, you'd be at the allotted 24 gigs!

• Advertisement

They must have stock replies because I received the same answer from their customer service. He said it was NOT combined, but he added you can download up to 24GB. 23 down and 1 up. Or 16 down and 8 up. Thats some definition of a "combined" cap.

What a joke. Smart here I come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Yep it's to tackle Bittorrent. Bunch of ****ing flaming **** the ****ing lot of them :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I've just filled out a little form on http://www.asai.ie/ to complain about this false advertising. They are stating double Eircon's cap when the reality is completely different. I suggest that everyone does the same :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

Giblet wrote:
    The statement you have pasted, and what you say are contradicting eachother.

The 16GB limit refers to both upload and download. You will be entitled to use 16GB in either direction without penalty. i.e. you can upload 15GB and download 15GB in the same month without penalty. However if you upload 4GB and download 17GB then your account will be suspended.

This means if you break 16 gigs in any direction, they reserve the right to charge or whatever. Which means you have a 16gig down, and a 16 gig up.

What you are saying now is, that even though it is 24 gigs, if you downloaded 12 gigs, and uploaded 12 gigs, you'd be at the allotted 24 gigs!

The statement that i posted is in IOL FAQ currently. It was there old FAQ.
    According to there old FAQ it was acceptable to download 16GB and upload 16 GB.
    Here is the link to their old FAQ. http://www.iol.ie/broadbandplus/bbp_faq.htm. Scroll down about 3/4 down

I am quoting the new FAQ now.
    "Is there a data-transfer limit?
    You are entitled to free transfer of up to 12GB (24GB for Broadband Plus) of data in any given month .
    If you go over this generous limit then we reserve the right to charge you for any additional data (at 3 cents including VAT per MB).

This data allowance is calculated on a daily basis and if you are above this amount we reserve the right to suspend or permanently disconnect your account in the first month that you are over"

I cannot provide a direct link cos it doesn't work but check out their broadband faq on www.esatbt.com

according to the new faq it is supporting what was said to me by the live assistant.

this is a very bad offer. the b******s

If anybody does want to do something, can I recommend 2 simple steps:

Log on to the webchat, ask them about the cap, then ask them politely to pass on your disappointment when they are asked for customer feedback. Tell them you were going to sign up, but your not going to now and that youre moving to Smart instead.

Email their customer service, tell them the same thing.

Its about as much as any single person can do, but it'll take you 2 minutes, they might not care, in fact they probably wont but you never know. 24GB combined is a complete joke and a step backwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

i certainly hope that i am wrong.
    it is one good way to look good on paper but in fact offer no better of a product.
    on paper to the average joe it might look better than eircoms offer but in infact it is worse. that was to sad say.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

heres my little conversation with the robots, thats ****, he also went on to say that the contract has been removed for everyone, but id check that with a human to make sure.

How may I help you Al?
    Al Devins: hi, i have a question about the new caps (the 24gig) if I upload 15gb and download 15gb (a total of 30) will this be breaking the limit?
    Tyrone C: Yes as both of these count
    Al Devins: ok, but before I was able to download 15 and upload say 8, and this was not counted as breaking the cap, why has this now been enforced?
    Tyrone C: Before we had a much lower download cap, but now this has been increased

EDIT: lol, you really gotta love the bots, ok so I rang them again, and the guy said that the no contract is only for new customers, and that he thinks (though he sounded like he was assuming) that the downlaods are the same (i.e. not combined) but I wouldnt take his word for it.

Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Tech support guys dont get told crap and one person says something everyone asumes he is right and repeats it. Unless its wrote down on their site it cant be enforced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Stop the presses - it's not combined I've been told reliably. :)

the tech monkeys don't seem to know tho'
    Steven H: No, before the cap was combined.
    Steve: not according to the iolbb faq site - hang on and I'll get you a link
    Steve: http://www.iol.ie/broadbandplus/bbp_faq.htm
    Steve: about 3/4 of the way down the faq it specifically states that the cap is not combined
    Steven H: Could you please hold on for a moment?
    Steve: certainly
    Steve: here's the exact link: http://www.iol.ie/broadbandplus/frame_bbp_faq.htm#a15
    Steven H: These accounts are currently under view with the release of our new offer. Please keep checking the website for any updates.
    Steve: what does that mean?
    Steven H: I'm sorry, I can't help with that, however you could contact our sales department at sales@btireland.ie as they will be able to assist you with this query. You can also call them on 1800 923 923.
    Steve: but you said it? What do you mean?
    Steven H: I'm sorry that there has been confusion with this- I need to discuss this with our management and clarify exactly what the offer is
    Steven H: if you wish to come back to me tomorrow, we'll have an answer, and the websites will be updated to reflect this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

This monkey had no answer at all!! :P

Graham A: ***You are through to BT Ireland.ie Sales and Registration support department. For account and billing queries please contact our customer care department on 1904 or you can email them at customer.care@esat.com***

How may I help you Bono?
    Bono: hello
    Bono: So it seems that the IOLBB Plus package has been increased to 24GB's
    Bono: Previously this was 16GB either way
    Bono: is it still either way?
    Bono: Hello?
    Graham A: This is currently under review, we will have answer on this tomorrow if you wish to come back and chat, I must apologise for this.
    Bono: ooooook......????
    Graham A: Thank you for contacting us. If you require further information/assistance,
    please feel free to come back and chat with us.

Honestly......24GB combined is an absolute joke.

I dont give a sh!t.....I'm going to download 23.9GBytes this month and mabye upload 10GB.
    If they come after me for overdownloading, I'm going to to give them a pain in the head with my shouting at them down the phone!!!

So they have finally realised how stupid a 24GB combined CAP is..."clap"..."clap"....mabye now they will wake up and confirm that the CAP is 24GB upload and 24GB download....exclusive of each other!!!!

BTW
    Graham A hardly ever has a complete or straightforward answer.
    For a time I assumed he was a bot!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Markjf

Maybe I am missing something here lads, but to me this says upload and download 24GB a month.I got it on the help sections of the iol website.

You are entitled to a free transfer limit of up to 24 Gigabytes of data in any given month.

If you go over this generous limit then we reserve the right to charge you for any additional

data (at 3cent inc VAT per MB).

You will be entitled to use 24GB in either direction without penalty. i.e. you can upload

24 GB and download 24GB in the same month without penalty. However if you upload 4GB

and download 25GB then your account will be suspended.

This data allowance is calculated at the end of every 24 hrs and if you are consistently

above this amount we reserve the right to suspend or permanently disconnect your

account during the first month you go over it.

They must have Modified the FAQ in the last hour!!!!

Could a Mod Please close this thread?????
    To leave it Open will only scare and confuse people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Markjf is correct. See my posts in the other thread about IOL http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2604801&postcount=199 and http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2604719&postcount=195

I guess Esat's support people are just living up to their well earned reputation by contradicting everything they say and confusing the sh*t out of everyone.

No combination of caps, yeah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Provide a linky please Markj?

That wording sounds stricter than before: suspended.

• Advertisement

It is identical wording to the last version except the number have been modified!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

cregser, they always said they reserved the right to charge, suspend or terminate your account for breaking the limit.

New FAQ is here
    and the old one with almost identical wording is here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Yeah i'm just a little slow today, ay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

vishal wrote:
    If you go over this generous limit then we reserve the right to charge you for any additional data (at 3 cents including VAT per MB).

generous, yea right...

They were caught. It was worded so specifically, when all they needed was to change the number (which has now been done)

Closing thread, please discuss in the other thread!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=240557

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement