Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bud Rising

Options
  • 12-04-2005 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Bud rising so far, www.budrising.ie not going to be updated till 20th April apparently but here's all the details, keep an eye on ticketmaster for prices.

-Beck - Olympia - 6th June
    -British Power Sea, Sons and Daughters - The Village - 7th June
    -Buck 65, Jose Gonzaleaz - Whelans - 7th June
    -Dizee Rascal , Black Twang, Daddy G - Ambassador - 5th June
    -Engineers - Temple Bar Music Centre - 7th June
    -Masters at Work - Spirit - 3rd June
    -Monoband - Whelans - 4th June
    -Roots Manuva - Ambassador - 1st June
    -Stephen Fretwell - Whelans - 5th June
    -The Departures, Editors - Whelans - 3rd June
    -The Duke Spirit, VHS/Beta - Temple Bar Music Centre - 4th June
    -Magic Numbers, J Chester, Jessie&Layla - The Village - 3rd June
    -Tom Vek - Whelans - 6th June
    -Towers of London - Whelans - 2nd June
    -Whitey - Whelans - 1st June
    -Weezer - Vicar Street - 7th June

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭scarfacemj

exams
    boll0x

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CBRadio

Echo & The Bunnymen - The Village, June 1st
    Jimmy Cliff - Ambassador, June 3rd
    Justin Robertson & Medicine8 - Spirit, June 5th
    Matthew Herbert Big Band - Vicar St, June 6th
    The Chalets,The Rakes,Art Brut - Vicar St, June 3rd
    The Hives - Ambassador, June 2nd
    The La's - Ambassador, June 7th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭miss serena

Its so funny the way the drinks companies try to get young punters by putting on music festivals; Heineken Green Energy, Heinken + Guinness with Oxegen and Witness, Miller had one there last year in association with Fender.

Seems like music is the easiest way to tap into the young 'uns conscience! Drink more, drink more...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

to be honest it's the band's fault for agreeing to associate themselves with drink's companies.

don't get me wrong i liek a drink liek anybody else but why it has to invade every advertising space and musical gathering i do not know.

Oh and speaking of branding and monopolising musical advertising how about that mean fiddler takeover bid from clear channel and MCD. Alot of people making alot of money off that i'm sure.

What about a beer festival advertised by a record company.....

• Advertisement

what about a beer festival?

simple.

I mean why not say it like it is ireland we haven't got a breeze about decent music at the moment so just lets get drunk and actually have some sort of beer theme to go along with it.

I really would like to go to a festival without the massive adverstising and stupid promotions.

It is worrying though that the music industry is so dominated by beer companies. but i guess this is due to the promoters and the bands not taking some sort of stand on it. I mean if we had a choice then fair enouh but we don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

I bet it's all sunshine and rainbows in your house :)

It is worrying though that the music industry is so dominated by beer companies. but i guess this is due to the promoters and the bands not taking some sort of stand on it. I mean if we had a choice then fair enouh but we don't.
    "Heal the world, make it a better place. For you and for me and the entire human race"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

In my best gravelly Springsteen impression

"We are the world, we are the childern, we are the ones who make a brighter day so lets start giving"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭miss serena

to be honest it's the band's fault for agreeing to associate themselves with drink's companies.

I don't think the bands should be expected to turn down a gig because of who's promoting it. The bands just want to play, they don't care about who's putting the money in for advertising. Due to these sponsors the gig would be getting much more coverage than it would otherwise, so at the end of the day, the bands would probably be playing to a much bigger audience than usual.

I just think it's funny the way these big sponsors are big drinks companies, you know, promoting the youth to drink. What about all those water companies, or Chiquita bananas or something!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭IanluvsKathleen

man i'd love a banana festival, or maybe a festival sponsored by Lyons tea or Brillo pads. Quality.

The Marigold festival, where do I sign up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

man i'd love a banana festival, or maybe a festival sponsored by Lyons tea or Brillo pads. Quality.

I went to a banana festival in Amsterdam but the less said about that the better :D

bandit wrote:
    I went to a banana festival in Amsterdam but the less said about that the better :D
    lol
    If Eminem and 50 Cent play Slane Im sure that would a banana festival of sorts....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭McGonagles

I mean if we had a choice then fair enouh but we don't.

We do have a choice, and we always did.

Ladyfest managed to do a weekend-long
    festival, with Irish, English, French and Dutch bands playing at it, with no sponsorship
    from beer companies or other big corporates.

Fundraisers are a fun and workable alternative to selling your soul to DIAGEO plc.
    Table quizzes, treasure hunts, gigs, discos, etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭McGonagles

maybe a festival sponsored by Lyons tea or Brillo pads. Quality.
    If a festival was sponsored by Calvita Cheese, they could get Stephen Roche to be the MC.

A festival sponsored by Tampax could have Sinead O' Connor headlining, she always seems to be in them.....her flowers that is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

i know that a lot of bands really dont have the choice as to where to play, but the more well-off bands are the ones that make the most money with whatever gig they 're playing for the promoters/sponsors anyway, so they have the most sway. if there was a music festival sponsored by.. Esso, Coke, McDonald's and Nestle (i realise none of these are beer companies, but .. yknow.. for arguement's sake) , there might be 2 or 3 bands out of thousands who wouldn't play, but that'd probably be it. most (people in general, not just musicians..) don't really care about whether or not the sponsorship is moral, or whether the availability of only one type of beer at whatever festival means that people don't enjoy it as much, or that kids, surrounded by as much advertising as they so frequently are, would be more inclined to try to get served.. it's a shame that it's so widely accepted, but that's how **** is..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

... or whether the availability of only one type of beer at whatever festival means that people don't enjoy it as much ...

I found it ironic that often the first question asked about an outdoor gig is "what beer is being served at the bar" given that most can't tell the difference between beers and most don't know how to enjoy it. It is experience that many seem to rate a gig by the quantity of beer consumed as pposed to the quality of music heard.

I really do think that music is becoming a major force in the marketing of drink to young people. The music/beer promotion has become huge in the last few years.

I don't beelive in controls being put in place but i would like some incentives for promoters who decide not to associate themselves with major branding operations.

About the quality of music i have to agree. I found myself drinking very little at the first few witnesses, lack of funds probabaly a factor, but still with such a variety of music it was a waste of time waiting in queues for drink whilst the bands were on. The no cans at the camp sites i bet had more to do with the companies trying to make sure people drank their beer than public order or anyting like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭asp

CBRadio wrote:
    -Dizee Rascal , Black Twang, Daddy G - Ambassador - 5th June
    Daddy ****in' G??? Is that those gob****es from Finglas??

The lads on Grafton St. who rap about "goin' to the 'joy with me mate Roy"??

They ruled until they got attention.

"Throw ya hands in da air, this sh*t here is lyrical warfare".
    Poignant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭asp

I have one of their MP3's at home. its ok, not into Hip Hop, but its not bad. At least they use their own accents, unlike Double-D... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

poor irish rappers.

if they rap in d'american they're dammed, if they rap in their own accent they're dammed.
    personally, rappers make me cringe 90% of the time - unless they're really good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

really good like buck 65??
    although i don't know would you call it rap. i'd call it country music to be honest, but i couldn't tell you why or anything.
    he doesn't sing, i can tell you that much..

All fads will pass my friends, vive la revolution!
    In the mean time may I ask you to........
    "Throw ya hands in da air, this sh*t here is lyrical warfare".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭IanluvsKathleen

asp wrote:
    Daddy ****in' G??? Is that those gob****es from Finglas??

He's in Massive Attack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Eh sorry about that, had to chop some posts there. Wandered off topic somewhat and into distinctly dubious territory! Focus people, focus!

Regards,

Pete Reed
    reed@phantomfm.com
    www.phantomfm.com

• Advertisement

Is it just me or is the line up pretty tame compared to years gone by? Maybe with the exception of Weezer and Beck.
    Primal Scream in the Red Box was one hell of an epiphony.

Advertisement