Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A new phone line for Broadband

• 12-04-2005 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hey,

Where I live (Rural Co Dublin) the phone system is multiplexed (as in, one set of wires carries a couple of homes telephone services - all are multiplexed onto one pair of wires). To get BB, I would need an independent set of wires to my home from the exchange. Now a neighbour, literally across the road has such a setup - this was due to the fact they moved in recently and there way no availablity for eircom to muliplex their phone service onto the existing infrastructure thus had to run an independent line to their home.

So I want BB, I can't get it due to infrastructure and from talking with an eircom engineer there is a snowball's chance in hell of eircom upgrading the infrastructure.

Someone suggested getting ISDN installed, this would force them to install a shiney new set of wires to the home, then cancel this and go for BB.

Any truth in this?

- Mike.

Apologies is this is a FAQ (didnt see it in the sticky when I read it)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Druid wrote:
    Any truth in this?

Yes except that they may even refuse to install ISDN for you which is a headache . Have you asked and what did they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Druid

I have not asked yet, never thought of getting isdn before.

What we have done is ask specifically for a phone line to be installed for broadband, thats how we got in touch with an engineer, who was nice enough to tell us not to bother getting the line installed as they would simply connect the line to the multiplexed system.

Im trying the wireless route in the mean time. Should know this week if I have LOS. If that fails (which I think it might) I will try the ISDN route.

Have you (or anyone else for that matter) gone this route before?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Druid wrote:
    Someone suggested getting ISDN installed, this would force them to install a shiney new set of wires to the home, then cancel this and go for BB.

I could be wrong..but don't eircom charge you to remove ISDN and to place DSL on the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Druid

well its 119 euro to get ISDN in.
    37 euro a month

Assuming there is not minumum contract (keep for 1 month) thats
    156 euro

then from
    http://tinyurl.com/4rdkv
    (hope that link works, eircom and their stupid website)
    eircom hi-speed - You can avail of our broadband promotion. However, you will have to pay a migration charge of €25.00 (inc VAT) and will need an eircom technician to install eircom broadband. Please call 1800 503 303 for more information.

which brings us to 181 euro.

That is comparable to IBB install charge. It may take longer to get setup though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Does anyone know whats comreg line (no pun intended) on multiplexing? If a line is being shared then its only fair that the rental should be shared. If my neighbour wanted to use my sky dish for reception they could pay €31 off my bill every month...I think this is a cheap way out for eircom if there is not enough lines then they should get thier shovels out & start digging...& while they are at it lay the fibreoptics & start doing the job right...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

beller b wrote:
    Does anyone know whats comreg line (no pun intended) on multiplexing?

Comreg line = 28.8k for all lines Nationwide by 2012 . Details

http://www.comreg.ie/publications/default.asp?nid=101969&ctype=5

Of course Eircom can tell everyone its 28.8k IN 2012 not BY 2012 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

2012? Hah! Sure won't we all have 28.8Mbit connections by then... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

We all had 28.8k lines when Telecom Eireann had it on it's charter, then good old greedy shareholders wanted the money to line their pockets rather than "line our streets and roads"

Amusing to say, one step forward, two back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Dero wrote:
    2012? Hah! Sure won't we all have 28.8Mbit connections by then... :rolleyes:

Naw, Eircom wants everybody on the dial-up then dropped call, dial-up again then dropped call again.

Sure wasn't the 189X access numbers a clever ploy, only eircom collects call revenue on that number prefix!

Remember 6.35c+1.26c+6.35c+1.26c=EIRCOM COFFERS OVERFLOW

Advertisement