Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taxation

Options
  • 12-04-2005 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭

I'm sure it has been discussed here before, but I haven't seen it expressed quite so baldly:

http://www.simi.ie/taxation.asp

They "call for action" but how? SIMI represent dealers and distributors. Who represents consumers? If it is no-one, should we create a lobby group?

Anybody here a lawyer? Is VRT illegal? My understanding is that the EU have called on Ireland to remove it, but given how much it contributes to the coffers each year, I can see how that would be tricky.

Personally, I don't buy the "let's keep VRT because it will hurt the second hand market" line. if VRT were phased out over 5 years, it would have a negligible effect on the market. And if a tax is wrong, it's wrong; we shouldn't keep it because there might be some short term pain.

Supposing VRT was abolished, how could one stop the government increasing excise on fuels to compensate, or would you? Perhaps this is the fairest way to tax motorists - based on fuel usage (DOH! I'm 19mpg)

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Other EU countries (see UK) have their motor tax graded by CO2 emissions. The cleaner your car, the less you pay and vice versa.
    AFAIK this environmental taxing is EU law and will have to be introduced into Ireland sooner or later.
    As most people with older cars will end up paying through their nose for their uncatalysed petrol or diesel engines, there will be quite a rush on to get a new/ newer car, once that tax takes effect.
    THAT would be a very good point in time to abolish the VRT. Ireland would be EU-legal on both taxes (VRT and motor tax) and the used car market wouldn't totally collapse either, because there should be enough demand from people upgrading from an old "stinker" to a newer model w. catalytic converter / good emission values.

I guess the motoring public will have to keep eyes and ears open for that environmental tax and MAKE SURE that VRT is made to dissapear once it is roumored to come in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

peasant wrote:
    Other EU countries (see UK) have their motor tax graded by CO2 emissions. The cleaner your car, the less you pay and vice versa.
    AFAIK this environmental taxing is EU law and will have to be introduced into Ireland sooner or later.

Right - makes sense. So who "lobbies" for the change in the tax regime? Should we call on our local Fine Gael TD to be more active as an opposition party in this respect?

Advertisement