Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great news for Liverpool fans...

• 12-04-2005 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭

Pope Dies.

Wales Win the Grand Slam

Liverpool win the European Cup

Pope Dies

Wales win the Grand Slam

:eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Very interesting stat, Mind you it will be some achievement if Liverpool can go on and win the Champions League this year.

I for one wish them the best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

LOL - nice one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Also in 78 we lost the league cup to the eventual league winners (notts forerst). This year we lost it to Chelsea ;)

Also in 78 we won the European cup semi against a german team - maybe Chelsea will lose 2-0 tonight (or something similar...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

excellent.

so its in the bag then yea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Maybe not.
    chelsea are winning 1-0 atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

the pope is dead??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

chelsea are through to the next round so thats the theory busted . Hope liverpool do us proud tonight, we can do it lads!!!!!!

galwaydude wrote:
    chelsea are through to the next round so thats the theory busted . Hope liverpool do us proud tonight, we can do it lads!!!!!!
    Well not really, the info was originally sent to me without the German team semi-final bit - so I'll retract it if that helps? It was only my inquisative nature that had me check who we played in the semi in 78. We can take Chelsea over 2 legs, we've shown well against them so far this season and have deserved a greater return, maybe this will be the return. Just the small matter of getting through tonight, which I'm more then slightly nervous about and a little less then slightly confident :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

i know if we win tonight and hope the god we do. We can beat chelsea over the two as there wasnt much between the sides when met in the league and the carling cup.
    The team needs to make an enormous effort like last week.If players like garcia, carragher, hyppia and baros etic play to their maximum we should hold on for a draw. Hope there is no trouble like last night at the san siro especially if we are winning tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

galwaydude wrote:
    i know if we win tonight and hope the god we do. We can beat chelsea over the two as there wasnt much between the sides when met in the league and the carling cup.

Indeed, Stephen Gerrard was the difference in the carling cup, if you can stop him Chelsea have no chance.

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote:
    Indeed, Stephen Gerrard was the difference in the carling cup, if you can stop him Chelsea have no chance.
    Don't worry, he'll be kept out of the team in the run-in til the end of the season by Richie Partridge :rolleyes:

p.pete wrote:
    Don't worry, he'll be kept out of the team in the run-in til the end of the season by Richie Partridge :rolleyes:

Is Richie related to you? You seem to be a big fan of his.

The Muppet wrote:
    Is Richie related to you? You seem to be a big fan of his.
    by only 6 degrees of seperation - fellow Dubliner, sure he's pure class :)

<edit>

No wait, I know someone who knows him - that'd make one degree of seperation, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The Final - May 10th 1978

Liverpool 1 FC Bruges 0

Team : Clemence, Neal, Thompson, Hansen, Kennedy, Hughes, Dalglish, Case (Heighway), Fairclough, McDermott, Souness

When you compare that team to the current pool team I think a repeat of 1978 is very slim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

4 times Juve have lost the first leg of a European tie 2-1 away from home.

All 4 times they've overturned the deficit at home and gone through :eek:

irish1 wrote:
    When you compare that team to the current pool team I think a repeat of 1978 is very slim.
    Depends on how you look at it - the final will probably be against AC Milan and not FC Bruges, so I think that gives us lots of hope *fingers crossed Schevchenko gets a 3 match ban*.

irish1 wrote:

Not to mention the quality of the opposition but we won't go there again. To be realistic Juve have to be favourites to go through only needing a home win. I'm looking forward to the game though , the first half of the first leg was a cracker more of the same would be great to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Yes no point going there again Muppet, especially as you have no idea how good or bad Bruges (and Belgian football) were back then. If they are crap now, they must have been crap then :rolleyes:

If it had been Juventus that Liverpool beat that year, you wouldnt have made such a ridiculous comment, just because Juve are a good team now.

But of course you had obviously no clue that Bruges actually beat Juve in the semi-final that year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I was told this fact in the pub last night and thought it was quite amusing.

I was also told back in 2001 that Spurs had won the FA Cup in

Stupidly enough I put a bet on them to win it and they got beat in the Semi-final by Arsenal.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Yes no point going there again Muppet, especially as you have no idea how good or bad Bruges (and Belgian football) were back then. If they are crap now, they must have been crap then :rolleyes:

Yes Liverpool are a perfect example of this - only reversed ;)

Sorry couldn't resist

• Advertisement

TheMonster wrote:
    Yes Liverpool are a perfect example of this - only reversed ;)

Sorry couldn't resist
    ;) are you trying to be nice ;)

If Liverpool were excellent (the opposite of crap) then they must be excellent now :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Looks like 3-0 to Juventus then! I always rip up my stubs when I see the 'look at this for a coincidence' messages offered up as positive omens for a team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

do i snif Man United fans are jelous ;) your JELOUS hehehe

only thing ill say is

GWAN THE POOL!!!!!

and actually if juve win 2-1 it goes to extra time:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Ken & Deirdre also got married in 1978

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Take it wrote:
    do i snif Man United fans are jelous ;) your JELOUS hehehe
    Thats right we are jelous. :)

Pigman II wrote:
    Looks like 3-0 to Juventus then! I always rip up my stubs when I see the 'look at this for a coincidence' messages offered up as positive omens for a team.
    Juve had won all their home games 1-0 in the CL this season - don't tell my you backed that? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

p.pete wrote:
    Juve had won all their home games 1-0 in the CL this season - don't tell my you backed that? :p

No I had 0-0 but when I saw this thread I thought '****'. Thankfully I didn't actually rip up anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Well done to all the pool fans. I will say one thing about ye....You have some super support. (Those scarves were impressive)

Advertisement