Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pats appoint new chief exec (awaits muffled laughter)

• 12-04-2005 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

SAINTS APPOINT NEW CHIEF EXECUTIVE
    St Patrick’s Athletic are delighted to announce the appointment of Mr Bernard O’Byrne as Chief Executive of the club with immediate effect. Mr O’Byrne will take charge of all operational aspects of the club and the commercial and technical staff will report to him. He will in turn report directly to the Board of Management.

Mr O’Byrne is a former Chief Executive of the FAI and has also held many other positions in football including Treasurer of the FAI, UEFA Match Delegate, UEFA Champions League Venue Director, FAI Chief Security Officer, President of the FAI Junior Council, President of the Athletic Union League and Life President of Belgard Athletic FC. He also has extensive experience in business.

This move by the Saints is seen as yet another indication of the progress the club are making both on and off the field. More news to follow..

I liked him when he was with FAI , just shockingly was shafted by the others.
    Assuming he works for free cant be bad for us :D

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

[muffled]mwahahaha[/muffled]

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Mixed reaction from Pats fans but I think its a very good move. This is a post by Phil Nolan on the Pats message board:
    Hi all,

Just reading the thread and felt myself and Simone should respond. Gaz - thanks for the nice words, as you know we are doing our best. Having said that we are always looking to improve and we are confident that Bernard's appointment will allow us to do this.

One of the objectives of the appointment is ensure that decisions are made quickly and advice is there when needed. Rather than having to take everything to a Board (who all have full time jobs which makes things very hard going for them), we can now get a quick decision from a CEO.

Bernard will look at what we are doing well but also give us ideas for how and where we can improve commercially. As stated above, we don't do corporate dinners currently because their is no market for it within our current sponsor/support base. However, if we can be provided with contacts in this area, we would gladly earn the club a few euros this way!

So just to give you our opinion, for what its worth (no comment!) we are delighted to have someone who will recognise the work we do but also help us improve. Neither myself or Simone claim to know everything and bringing another business head to every area of the club can only be a good thing.

We ask all supporters to back this decision. The board have not gone into this lightly and honestly feel (as we do) that Bernard's appointmnet will help the club progress. There is no hidden agenda and the club is being run strictly finance-wise so obviously they feel that it will make more money than it will cost or they wouldnt have made the decision. So give the guy a chance and just see what happens. We reckon a few months down the line we will see the postive impact he has made.

eirebhoy, do you have a direct link to that?

I can't find a link to fora on the Official Pat's site http://www.stpatsfc.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

good to see that hes back. May try and get some free tickets now as my dad knows his brother. :)

• Advertisement

Is Saint Pats stadium far if your coming from terenure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

galwaydude wrote:
    May try and get some free tickets now as my dad knows his brother. :)

Cos its so expensive?

I happy with it as a commercial appointment, cant be a bad thing really.

kdjac

Cheers eirebhoy, you have to register to read posts :eek:

naaa i know its not expensive, used to go to shels matches before as lived in artane and now im in rathmines so might head to see st pats some night.

just a football fan in general.My own team down in Galway are s**t at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

So finally O Byrne gets control of Pats, it's been a while coming but I'm sure he has some fantastic plans for you :D

Slash/ED wrote:
    So finally O Byrne gets control of Pats, it's been a while coming but I'm sure he has some fantastic plans for you :D

A new 65 thousand seater stadium :eek: Read his book on a flight to NY (bugger all else in bookshop) seems decent enough had the idea for Eircom park just the wooly jumper brigade prefered the cold hard cash and playing the national stadium.

Football wise we sorted for a few years just need s triker so cant see any major changes, he there to make money for the club simple as that, so imo cant be bad thing <please god dont let those words bite me in the ass.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    he there to make money for the club simple as that, so imo cant be bad thing <please god dont let those words bite me in the ass.
    Isn't this a position akin to what Dolan had when he came to your club?

seansouth wrote:
    Isn't this a position akin to what Dolan had when he came to your club?

Yup and he did a very good job of making money for the club ,some would say too good.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

KdjaC wrote:
    Yup and he did a very good job of making money for the club ,some would say too good.

kdjac

He did an even better job spending it ;)

Slash/ED wrote:
    He did an even better job spending it ;)

Pies are expensive.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

On newstalk he said he want St. Pats to be the 1st club to qualify for the champions league group stages.

On newstalk he said he want St. Pats to be the 1st club to qualify for the champions league group stages.
    I like that talk! :)

They'll have to win the league first.

Honestly, can anyone see them doing that in the next three or four years?

Shels, Cork, Drogs, Waterford are all ahead of Pat's in terms of teams I'd say would be in with a shout of winning the league, probably more.

I think if Shels and Cork keep improving then it will be one of them that qualifies for the CL Group Stage first from here.

Hopefully Shels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

And to think, if you'd asked me on Monday to name a Dublin football club who are in dire circumstances I'd have said ShamrockRovers.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

galwaydude wrote:
    Is Saint Pats stadium far if your coming from terenure

Used to work Terenure years ago and passed by the ground every day on the (16?) bus as I cam from town. As such I'd imagine you can still get a bus from A to B if you're interested.

Advertisement