Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any help with selecting a new plasma.....

• 12-04-2005 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and I hope I'm in the right section. I'm looking to purchase a HD 37" Plasma. I believe the Panasonic 500 series Viera is good but VERY expensive. Any help? Where to buy and what to buy? :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

Pukeohontas,
    If ur serious about buyin' a hi def plasma, I'd check out the Panasonic TH-42PHD7. It's not a 37" but, I have seen these units in action, Both hi def and standard def and it's what I'm having installed in 3 months. Top quality from any feed (hdmi & component) plus it's upgradable. Take a look at the brochure. I know where they can be bought and installed @ rock bottom price too.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pukeohontas

Thanks O. I'll check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

There's lots of threads on Plasma's do a search.
    Why do you want hi-def? It's not going to be broadcast in Ireland for about 20 years

John

Just thought I'd future proof. I believe hd sky boxes will be available from next year......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

In the Uk...

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Lump wrote:
    In the Uk...

John
    There gonna be available in Ireland also......

Anyhoo, I think the Sony KE-P37xs1 is a beaut......whadda ya think?

Ur gonna pay a fortune for branding. Plus hi-def models with integrated tuners add another grand(Roughly). BTW, Sky HD will be available next January or so. But We'll get HD as standard with Xbox2 And PS3(nearly certain). Be aware of the difference between HDMI and DVI-D. There interchangable connecters on monitors but not on plasma tv's.

What do you recommend Obskure? What kind of price is the TH-42PHD7?
    I'd prefer 37" but if ot can#t be, it can't be.....hope the wife understands..... :rolleyes:

Hey,
    prices for the 42"phd7 are under 4k but shop sround 'cos they'll rip u off out there. if ur set on a 37" then there is a panasonic 37"pwd7. It's standard def BUT, there's a little trick. THEY take two expansion boards and one can be either hdmi or dvi. For some reason the 37" and 42" pwd7 can handle hi-def even though they're only 852*480. I've seen the 42"pwd7 in action with a hdmi feed from a top marantz dvd player(will be mine in 14 weeks:)). Beats any thing else I've seen hands down(via component). the 42" is 3k but a digital board is bout 150-200 xtra. So the 37"pwd7 should cost even less. Take a look at the brochure on this link. Let me know what U reckon.
    http://www.av-sales.com/plasma/PlasmaBrochure.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Do not buy the Panasonic HD7 if you intend using Sky Digital HD as it is imcompatible, The new Panasonic range with there 8 series screens will work. This is the only screen from Panasonic that is 37inch and Sky High Def compatiable. http://www.av-sales.com/plasma/html/panasonic_th-37pv500b.html

I see where ur coming from. Thanx for the link on the G8 panny. I don't suppose U have an idea on price. I've been looking around & E3,700 has been quoted. But this is rip off Ireland. I was going to be getting the pwd7 for E3,000(Mounted & flushed) but that's going to have go on the back burner now. Have you decided on what U'll be buying into?

I will either be buying the G8 Panny or the Hitachi 7200 most likely the Panny as I have one now and it is amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 iii3

Hi

Can you tell us what the panasonic HD7 is lacking that prevents it supporting Sky Digital HD ?

From digging around I have read that the Panasonic TH42PHD7 supports all of the 720p modes, 720p50 and 720p60 (in fact it seems to support nearly everything) I believe that Sky HD may only be supporting one of the two 720p standards, which one, i'm not sure.

I have also found that the Th42PHD7 supports 1024 * 768, and not the 852*480 mentioned previously.

I'm basing all of this on the contents of the following panasonic literature.
    http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv-pdf/panasonic_7uy.pdf

thanks

Hi there,

The HD7 will not display 720p/50 it will do 720p/60 but this is not what Sky will be using and the only way around this is through an external scaler but this can cause signal judder. You are correct that the screen can handle 1024*768 though

Cheers,
    TCP/IP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 marsbars

I am about to purchase the Panasonic TH42PE30B Viera and have beev told it WILL accept Sky High Definition - does anyone know if this info is correct?

no the info is not right it is not compatible with SkyHD who told you it was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Check out http://www.avforums.com

Between them and tcp/ip ;) you'll get all the info you need. I bought a Pioneer 435 XDE from tvandvideodirect in the UK. Even shipped I still saved 950 euro on the Dublin price of the screen.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 marsbars

Yeap your right - found out off local electrical store - went back there and found Panasonic Viera is NOT compatible with SKY-HD - does anybody have list of models that ARE compatible and available now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Didn't I mention that the Pioneer is HD Ready with it's HDMI Port and it's available now :D

I'm not sure if the other HD Ready screens have the HDMI port which will be needed for use wtih Sky HD, but you can check out the newer Sony's and Philips screens which both claim to be HD Compatible. (Note this is not the same as HD Ready)

cheers

• Advertisement

The Pioneer and the Hitachi 7200 are HD ready the new Panasonic 500 series will be to

Advertisement