Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mumps on campus.

• 12-04-2005 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests, there's been reported cases of mumps on belfield campus.

At least 1 of which stems from the stats dept.

Just passing on the good news!

Think they're injecting people over in the su clinic.

X keep healthy everybody! X

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

What's the story with Mumps; are you protected for life with the MMR vaccine or if you've had them before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Oh Sh*t, I never got the MMR jab... I'm f__king screwed!!! :eek:
    Damn it.

In truth, it's my lazyness that'll kill me, cos I won't be arsed headin over to the SU clinic... Karma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Most kids get the MMR which covers you for some time.
    Then you need to get a booster when you're 10-12, some schools offer this.

I was talking to the Dr. earlier & she didn't seem to be expecting an epidemic just yet.
    That said, there were an awful lot of stats students waiting to get the jab this afternoon!

Good excuse for poor exam results though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Mumps in adult males causes sterility, doesn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

Same scéal in DCU btw.. Someone in my class has it and one or two others I belive have it on campus. I went in to get my swollen glands checked out today..

Doc said I was grand thankfully..

I got my MMR vaccine in school. It wears off though.. You learn something new every day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Mumps in adult males causes sterility, doesn't it?

Can do unfortunately.
    But i haven't heard of it actually happening in a long time.
    Medicine these days n all...

The booster given before puberty-ish should usually do you through adulthood as far as i know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

One of the guys in my class got it about a week before the exams last year - talk about bad timing! We were all hanging qround with him though for a few days when he had it, but didn't realise he did. None of us got it though, so it can't be too contagious. I'd say ppl who don't have the booster should go get the jab from the health centre though, better safe than sorry with the exams coming up and all :cool:

I guess I'll be avoiding walking by the stats dept's half of the 5th floor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

blondie83 wrote:
    I'd say ppl who don't have the booster should go get the jab from the health centre though, better safe than sorry with the exams coming up and all :cool:
    Hmm... An excuse to miss the exams...*curls invisible beard*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I'm not very suprised that there has been a mumps breakout in the Stats department. I know a few Stats people and just by the look of them you can tell they have rabies aswell. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well stats certainly killed a few brain cells for me last year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

I had mumps when I was small (no MMR), apparently I looked like a Martian for two weeks.

Maybe if the stupid 5th floor had some ventilation it might help.

Advertisement