Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox - stay with IBB, or switch to NTL?

• 12-04-2005 5:06pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Okay, I've searched the forums but what I need is up to date opinions... ;)

Have finally been told I can get NTL BB, having used IBB Ripwave for 6 months or so.
    IBB was terrible to begin with, but now behaves itself pretty much all the time.

I mainly use the connection for gaming, so my question is whether it's worthwhile making the switch, or is there nothing further the NTL service can offer my experience?

I do experience lag, and the odd disconnection with IBB, but I don't know if this is typical of all ISPs. Are NTL pings times better?

Lastly I know several people (surfers, not gamers) who are unhappy with their intermittent NTL service - is this typical?
    Before recently I'd heard it was the best - particularly for gaming.

Thanks for any advice...

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Depends on where you live in dublin. I'm in Dublin 7 and the pings I get are around 30-45ms. There's another thread about problems on the Dublin 15 bb network being bitchy on pings.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Infini wrote:
    Depends on where you live in dublin.
    Thanks Infini
    I'm in Blackrock if that's any use to anyone...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm in D9 and I've been rock solid 30-45ms pings with no disconnects. The problems only seem to be in D15.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GavinJCD

I'm in Blackrock and was considering NTL for a while until I got my DSL upgrade. Pity NTL took so long in getting around to the South of Dublin I would have hopped on their service, nice and cheap. Plus cable yields higher speeds than DSL.

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

If you state what your Ripwave pings are like you'll get better advice. I would be surprised if the pings are better than 100ms, though. I would say anything will be better than Ripwave for gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Blaster99 wrote:
    If you state what your Ripwave pings are like you'll get better advice. I would be surprised if the pings are better than 100ms, though. I would say anything will be better than Ripwave for gaming.
    Good point.
    I meant to check last nite but forgot. Might post 'em tomorrow.

Sounds like the NTL complaints I heard were isolated.
    Thanks guys............

Advertisement