Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fermanagh

Options
  • 12-04-2005 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

how do you say it? how is it spelt? cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

Fear Meanach, you’d say it the same way as Fermanagh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

foxybrowne wrote:
    Fear Meanach, you’d say it the same way as Fermanagh!

It's similiar but not the same. Fear Manach is pronounced as FAR MONOCK in English pronunciation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

Am I right in thinking that Fear=men, and manach=monks? This would explain the significance of the monastry and bell tower on Devenish island to the north of Enniskillen with regard to the county's image and history.

If so Fermanagh must be the buckle on the north's bible belt. :)

You're half right. The "Fear" does refer to "men". But the "Manach" was a tribal name, not "Monks" as you might have assumed.
    I used to think that myself actually, but then I did a module on Irish place names in Uni and found out about the tribal basis to the name.
    Many Irish placenames come from an old tribal name. "Kerry" is another. The "Ciarraí"(Ciarraighe, in old spelling) was the name of one of the ancient clans of the area centuries ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

Interesting. How ancient was this Manach tribe? The reason I ask is because I wonder if the O'Neills that built the castle in Enniskillen had any connection. Might the family have been an off-shoot of the tribe in a time long before they came to promenance in Fermanagh.

If so the north's former PM Capt. Terence O'Neill must surely have been one of the tribe's most famous descendants. ;)

• Advertisement

MT wrote:
    Interesting. How ancient was this Manach tribe? The reason I ask is because I wonder if the O'Neills that built the castle in Enniskillen had any connection. Might the family have been an off-shoot of the tribe in a time long before they came to promenance in Fermanagh.

If so the north's former PM Capt. Terence O'Neill must surely have been one of the tribe's most famous descendants. ;)

I couldn't tell you. But it could well be. I'm sure you could find out if you're motivateed enough to research though. Irish placenames are a facinating subject.

Advertisement