Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GFX card fans stop

Options
  • 12-04-2005 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

This is the second time this has happened now.
    I got a 9800XT (cant recall brand think sapphire) which has 2 fans cooling the heatsink.

Basically all is grand when the 2 fans spin but now for the second time within a couple weeks they have just stopped spinning for some reason.

Ive cleaned out the fans themselves and they spin freely when a hoover is brought near em. Ive checked the where the fans plug into the gfx card and thats all fine. Last time this happened they just suddenly started working again but im curious as to why this is happening.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

They could be set to turn off if the temps are below a certain threshold? Some graphics cards can do that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

okie fair enough but its well above that temperature as the heatsink is burning to the touch and im getting artifacts on the desktop.

Can i get into the gfx card bios or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

If it has 2 fans it's not a sapphire. I think the asus ones were the only ones with 2 fans. Anywho check if the connection for the fans is attached to the card properly. Check for dirt or other blockages. A tiny bit of oil in the right place may help as well but be careful with that one.

BloodBath

actually yer u may be right with Asus.
    Connection to the fan is fine, i have cleaned it and as i said the fans spin fine whensomething else is sucking on em (ie hoover).

I wouldnt know where to oil it :(

Ati tool reports gfx card is at 108 degrees but ive now lowered the core speed. Should help a little.

EDIT: Ive read that ati tool lets u control the fan speed on ati cards through a fan drop down menu. I however cant find it. Is this only limited to some cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

If it's completely fuxored just get yourself an artic vga silencer. I have never seen a fan speed control on ati tool but I have a 9800xt as well so maybe that card isn't supported.

BloodBath

• Advertisement

been reading up on oiling which ill give a go i guess else ill ask here whats best cooler to get.

Man this is a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

In ATI Tool Click on settings, then choose fan control from the drop down list. 108C is VERY hot.

Right well i had a look at the card and couldnt find anything wrong (apart from a slight smell like freshly ironed clothes :( ).
    I think theres a problem with power getting to the fans to spin as when i turned it on i think i heard a crackle (had ear close to card, very faint now) as the fans tried to startup but didnt.

Is there anywhere i can plug the 2 fans into or anything?

o and i have no fan control option from the drop down menu

Right even if these fans start spinning again (which it really looks like it wont) id like to get a new one.

What do you suggest i get for a 9800xt?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Arctic cooling will do the job.
    Cools better than stock while being more quiet to :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement