Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

"windows cannot load your local profile"

• 12-04-2005 6:24pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I seem to be getting this when booting(w2k) its quite annoying as I loose everything on desktop and my taskbar icons, and some installed things don't run anymore like as if the computer was first booted,
    first question 1) what could be causing this?
    2) How do I load my previous profile thats in the dockuments & settings?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

Have a look at this lenny.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q185198

I think this might be the issue your having. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Even tho thats for NT 4 its relivent, just try and look at a few things first.

Check your event logs in your admin tools, just clear all them out sometimes security logs can cause some wierd problems, secondly what service pack are you using, if your not useing service pack 4 http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com update to it just so that you know that you have all your updates etc.

If you still cannot diagnose your problem it is highly possible that something has corrupted, the great thing about you using windows 2000 is that it has a repair feature, simply boot up your machine making sure the CD-Rom drive is the first boot device, stick in your win2k cd, hit enter for setup and then it should list your current installation, it should have continue to install over the current setup or repair, simply repair the installation.

Basically when you repair the installation you are just repairing the o.s by only reinstalling key files, nothing is lost on your computer when you do this but this should only be used if youve exhausted all other solutions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Were you drunk when this happened? Windows tried to load your profile from when you're in the pub, and um ... couldn't?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

look like a repair is the only option... anyone else any ideas?

Back up your profile. Log in as admin. Delete the user. Recreate the user. Report what happens.

What you are reporting so far usually happens on a network (when it cant find the logon server). Are you on a network (even by accident if at home). Check all your network settings (as admin).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

This was happening to me logged in as admin!
    I created another user and set it to log in as that user and same problem is happening. the computer is not networked at home (yet)

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Anything interesting in there under System Log? Errors or warnings in particular.

Maybe run a disk check. Right click on system drive, select properties. Under Tools tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 nolaen

Have you the profile set to "Roaming" rather than "local" by any chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Sounds like a HD fault to me. Run diagnostics on your disk and use eventviewer to check for 'bad sector' errors or similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

nolaen wrote:
    Have you the profile set to "Roaming" rather than "local" by any chance

i guess if it is roaming profile, the pc must be connected to network that serves the profile in order to log on as usual.

• Advertisement
Advertisement