Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RipWave Users: Another reason to be angry?

• 12-04-2005 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Ripwave: 29.99 a month 99 "install" (which I think is to pay the bloke who puts the boxed modem into an envelope, and puts the sticker with my address on it)
    Features: Intermittent access, awful pings 512/128, Contention Ratio 40:1

Breeze Lite 1Mb: 40 a month 149 install
    Features: LOS required, Great pings, 1Mbit symetrical, contention ratio 20:1

To quote OldTitan: On RipWave - we are simply going to drop the price for the 512kbps, give it a 8Gb cap and make it an entry level product, as well as introduce a 256/256kbps starter product for dial-up users who want to switch to Always On and get their telephone line back.

Now, not only am I paying for a pretty crap service, the company who I'm getting it with is offering a far superior service for all of a tenner more a month. Twice the download and eight times the upload.

What plans do Irish Broadband have for us customers? I mean will our bandwidth increase, will our charges become cheaper? Will the service become useable? Will they supply the batteries for our modems so we can use them with our laptops? Will they offer a higher level of support?

It seems to me that the a renaissance in broadband is approaching, while seemingly us RipWave users are left in the lurch.

Now, before someone suggests to me to upgrade to IBB Breeze, I wish I could. I live about 50 metres aways from the Guinness mast, but unfortunately there's a huge building in the line-of-sight, plus I live in an apartment.

While I always knew Ripwave was a product that required some time, a lot of patience, and was pretty poorly priced, I took a leap of faith.

How does everyone else feel about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Are you on a Smart enabled exchange? If so, that's the solution to your problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Altheus

I dont have/want a phone line installed. I dont want to mess around with modems and routers, I want the service I've paid for and as time goes by to be included in relevant upgrades and movements of service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Altheus wrote:
    Ripwave: 29.99 a month 99 "install" (which I think is to pay the bloke who puts the boxed modem into an envelope, and puts the sticker with my address on it)
    Features: Intermittent access, awful pings 512/128, Contention Ratio 40:1

Breeze Lite 1Mb: 40 a month 149 install
    Features: LOS required, Great pings, 1Mbit symetrical, contention ratio 20:1

To quote OldTitan: On RipWave - we are simply going to drop the price for the 512kbps, give it a 8Gb cap and make it an entry level product, as well as introduce a 256/256kbps starter product for dial-up users who want to switch to Always On and get their telephone line back.

Now, not only am I paying for a pretty crap service, the company who I'm getting it with is offering a far superior service for all of a tenner more a month. Twice the download and eight times the upload.

What plans do Irish Broadband have for us customers? I mean will our bandwidth increase, will our charges become cheaper? Will the service become useable? Will they supply the batteries for our modems so we can use them with our laptops? Will they offer a higher level of support?

It seems to me that the a renaissance in broadband is approaching, while seemingly us RipWave users are left in the lurch.

Now, before someone suggests to me to upgrade to IBB Breeze, I wish I could. I live about 50 metres aways from the Guinness mast, but unfortunately there's a huge building in the line-of-sight, plus I live in an apartment.

While I always knew Ripwave was a product that required some time, a lot of patience, and was pretty poorly priced, I took a leap of faith.

How does everyone else feel about this?
    IMHO i think IBB & in particular ripwave is a short term solution which only appeals to the areas which do not have enabled exchanges, & to be honest out of those areas IBB is only available to a very small minority. The other slice of the market which it was aimed at was those who didn't want to have to pay a phone bill as well, I think Smart have that covered. With regard to speed/bandwith increases, only continued compitition will keep these rising! After all if it were not for Smart Eircom would be happy to leave it at 512 & so would Esat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I dunno about breeze being a superior product.. I was installing a server into an office today in cork that are on breeze and I was getting an average of 30kbs on the giganews speedtest. I sincerely hope it was just the inhouse setup and not ibb as a whole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I hear ya Altheus! It looks kinda like IBB could't giva a shyte about us ripwave users. I wont be happy til they either double the speed or halve the price. I too live in an appartment and don't have a phone line so unfortunately I'm stuck with it! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

I finally got rid of my Ripwave last week, it took 3 weeks to cancel it, as calls and E-Mails, like their support, go unanswered. I found it overpriced and a brutal service, I never understood what the €100 connection fee was for, My Ripwave worked maybe 60% of the time, pure bollocks from start to finish.

Advertisement