Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vectra Views

Options
  • 12-04-2005 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭

Considering buying a 2001 Opel Vectra 2 litre TD estate (Elegance model)...60,000 miles, alloys, climate control etc...€8950 seems a good price.

Any feedback on Vectras appreciated. I've heard some bad things in the past about their reliability?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

I had looked into a 00 Vectra Hatchback a couple of years ago. This review on honestjohn.co.uk put me off big time amongst other things!

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index.htm

Having said that a friend recently got an 01 Vectra and while is happy with it does not compare it favourably with previous 00 Mondeo 1.6 in terms of fuel economy, performance or reliablity.

Just re-read and saw your looking at the diesel model - dont have any experience with diesel's only petrol - If I were in the market and budget would allow would think about D4D Avensis 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I had a Vectra a couple of years ago. Same type as the one you are looking at except it was a petrol saloon.

List of things that went wrong with it for the 15 months I kept it from new:
    1. Driver's side electric window relay blew, window stuck half way down, replaced under warranty.
    2. Same window relay blew again, replaced again, electrical wiring problem ruled out by Opel "expert".
    3. Car regularly cut out when idle in traffic, Opel could not diagnose the problem.
    4. Air Conditioning stopped working just outside of warranty - Gas cylinder needed to be replaced - Opel would not cover the cost - I didn't bother replacing it.
    5. CD player and steering wheel controls stopped working.

I ran out of patience and got rid of it, lost alot of money as resale values of Vectras are very poor.

This is my experience of the Vectra so you can make up your own mind after this. I know you can buy a lemon but I know other people who have had similar problems with them.

The 2.0 DTi is their own engine, they used to have a 1.7 TD which was an Isuzu engine and this was very good and could handle huge mileage.

If you are keen on Opel you might want to look at the Astra as they are almost as roomy and don't seem to suffer from the same problems as the Vectra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

At the moment I'm driving the '99 saloon version of what you're considering. I would never have bought a Vectra under normal circumstances but the deal I got on this one was worth not passing up. For the most part I find it fine. It's comfortable, fairly reliable (one minor problem with the injector leak off pipes) and I find the fuel economy good (as you'd expect from a diesel). If I picked one thing that annoyes me it would be the gearbox as it doesn't have a consistent feel from gear to gear and is clunky rather than slick. I also prefer a 3 / 3 layout to a 4 / 2. They weigh more than almost any other car I've driven and will eat through shocks (compared to other cars) if driven on bad roads. They tend to have minor glitches in the electrics and many of the replacements can be awkward.

Overall I'd say put your money into something else with a better track record in reliability as a couple if awkward repairs could add a lot to the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I too had a Vectra Di, 97 model, from 2000 - 2005. I put up 60k of virtually trouble-free driving, getting a regular 45-48mpg. Hauled me and the family and all our stuff around for that period too.

Only time it failed to start was with the injector return pipes - Opel garage came out, towed it, fixed it and returned it to me at no charge - despite the fact it was out of warranty. It did go through several bushings too, but these were generally cheap enough to repair. Only big cost I had was replacing a rear wheel bearing (around €300 at dealer) but I later found out it could have been an easy DIY job with a spurious part for around €170. There was one electrical gremlin that arose twice in the five years, whereby the indicators, interior lights, hazards, etc (anything functioning on a relay) went a bit mad. Opel again fixed this free first time - second time I discovered on the Vectra Owners' Club website the cure to a very simple problem: there's a plug under the dash that you unplug and replace and everything's grand again.

My car wasn't overburdened with extras (no e/w or a/c) so I can't comment on those. The only reason I sold it was the arrival of an extra baby in our house required a change to something that could accomodate two child seats and another person in the back, which unfortunately it couldn't. I have seen it driving around though, still in super nick.

If you're buying second hand, you've a good chance to get a bargain. Don't believe all the bad press.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

Thanks for all the detailed opinions. Still have doubts regarding reliability, but as Dilbert75 said, some good 2nd hand deals on Vectras..€8950 is a good price for the one I'm looking at and I need an estate.
    I'm not in a major hurry to buy, so I think I'll keep my options open regarding a 2nd hand diesel estate but not totally rule out Vectras.

• Advertisement
Advertisement