Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bayern Vs Chelsea (will contain scores)

• 12-04-2005 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭

Well that was quite a nervy second half, Gudjohnsen hitting it off the line, I was sure it was in. Cole defensively was superb when needed to be, and Drogs held the line ever so well. Congrats Chels, if Drogs hadn't scored we would have been out, 3-2 on the night.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Duffer badly needs a rest, didn't really get into it tonight, conceding goals of late has coincided with Ferrerias injury, the backline has been disrupted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

smuckers wrote:
    Duffer badly needs a rest, didn't really get into it tonight, conceding goals of late has coincided with Ferrerias injury, the backline has been disrupted.
    Aye, Duff definitely needs a rest. He has played 54 matches already this season (incl. internationals) and didn't start his first match until the end of Sepember so has been playing way too much for a winger. I think Scunthorpe is the only match he missed. His confidence also seemed in bits tonight.

I'd say the increase in goals conceded (1 clean sheet in last 11 games) is more down to the fact that Chelsea are now playing with 4 attackers in midfield. Ferreira is a big loss all the same and surely would improve any defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Oops didn't see below thread, at least Mourinho has seen the light regarding Mr Tiago, at the moment a squad player at best, unfortuately I don't think he will be able to fulfill his potential that JM had hoped, started well but makes naive decision making, lack of creativity and passing sometimes v poor, shooting most of the time bad, a good player to close out a game.
    was that Geremi I saw coming on? always used for to The CL.

Gerrard would really be the final piece of the jigsaw for Chelsea. They are missing a tough tackler with the freedom to chase players (Makelele hasn't got much freedom in his role). Obviously, Mourinho will try to sign a striker and A.Cole but Gerrard is all they really need imo. Wayne Bridge is quality. A new striker would be a decent addition but not essential if they want to really strengthen the team, someone like Gerrard is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

eirebhoy wrote:
    Gerrard would really be the final piece of the jigsaw for Chelsea. They are missing a tough tackler with the freedom to chase players (Makelele hasn't got much freedom in his role). Obviously, Mourinho will try to sign a striker and A.Cole but Gerrard is all they really need imo. Wayne Bridge is quality. A new striker would be a decent addition but not essential if they want to really strengthen the team, someone like Gerrard is.
    You've probably opened up a can of worms there Eirebhoy!

But I agree, he would fit perfectly in the middle, a box to box player to complement Lampard and Makalele, or would it be the other way around? Either way Id like to see any midfield in the world go up against them, I couldnt see them losing to many battles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

i think gerrard would be wasted at Chelsea, he basically plays the same game as lampard and we don't need two attacking midfielders when we have 2 wingers and usually a support striker.

We need some extra defence players for the left such as Cole, maybe another striker to replace Kezman, but I don't see the need for Gerrard unless it's to give Lampard a rest every few weeks, not something that he seems in need of.

Superb result again last night, nice to only have 12 seconds to be nervous of another Man U-esque escape at the end.

Very poor game by Duff, shame he didn't manage to nip past Kahn when he had the chance. Good refereee for once also, wasn't willing to give Bayern anything for their dives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

Funny game, - Bayern had several clear chances yet couldn't take them (thanks to poor finishing and great saves from Chec). Having said that, Duff forced a brilliant save from Kahn (though Duff did little else). Though the score suggests a thriller, it wasn't a great game. When I saw the draw I thought that both legs would be very tight and Chelsea might edge it overall by the odd goal (but not 6-5!!). Great to get through but if we defend like that in the next leg Juve will destroy us!! (Liverpool on the other hand...!!)

I wouldn't say Gerrard is similar to Lampard, I wouldn't even call Gerrard and attacking midfielder. Lampard would be in the same bracket as Scholes while Gerrard would be similar to Roy Keane (the old Roy Keane).

Advertisement