Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dave Fanning today (Tuesday)

Options
  • 12-04-2005 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Anyone listen to his show this evening? He played a song at around 6.30, had a bit of a gospelly feel to it, although I was only half listening. Dave then raved about it, saying that by the end of the year, everybody would be listening to this band. Does anyone remember what the band was called?

I'd know it if I heard it again, the word Anthony may be somewhere in the title.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

have you tried listening to the programme again
    http://www.rte.ie/rams/radio/latest/rte-thedavefanningshow.smil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Cool, thanks, billy. I looked at the rte website for a "listen again" or a transcript before I posted here, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Didn't hear the show but I can guess it was "Antony and the Johnsons" from their album "I'm a bird now" - great stuff, playing vicar street in July i think.

Bang on, comet. Just goes to show my descriptive skillz aren't completely wasted. :D I assume the album is more of the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

ok, I haven't heard anything about this band and I haven't listened to the song your talking about, but can I just take a moment to wonder...
    Does Dave Fanning have anyone's respect anymore? and if so does he deserve it?
    I mean to me he seems to be such a whore for money and publicity. I can understand why he would do a show like Your a star (not knocking it, I'm not in a position to) But to go on it and be so plastic, and tell people who are so talentless that they'll go far when they furthest they'll go is a single in Ireland, maybe, if they're lucky......or not depending on what way you look at it.
    But it's not just the "Your a star" thing, everything he says lately smacks of, "I'm being paid to say this"
    There used to be a time when I enjoyed listening to his show, turning people on to new stuff was what he did best, but now, he's just turning heads for whatever has turned his!
    I'm sorry to say it but Dave Fanning has sold out.... or maybe he always had sold out and I just bought into the story for while.

Anyway, that's what I think....

• Advertisement

I'm one of those people who only like Dave now that he has 'sold out'. Back in the 80s/90s when he was all about "here's a band you've never heard of, their new single is only available on didgereedoo and I have all the copies made ever," I couldn't stand him.

Now, at least, he's seems more aware of the mainstream, although he's still too up his own arse to recognise it as anything more than a means to entertain the masses. Luckily, so am I these days :D So, it's just happened that Dave likes most of the same stuff that I like, and if he recommends something, I'll check it out (it's thanks to him that I'm currently listening to Wilco).

I can't comment on You're A Star, never watched it, although his trumpeting of the losers on the Monday show while it was going on got very tiresome ("Yeah, you're great, what would you have done if you'd won it?" "Eh, I wouldn't have accepted it, I was just on it for the exposure, Dave." "Yeah, you're great").

As an aside, the format of the mid-evening show doesn't lend itself very well to the whole "here's a brand new band only plebs like you will hate" thing he used to have. It's drivetime, it has to be at least partly mainstream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭jmc

Have to agree with corblimey on the format of the show..
    An hour and a half slot - news - sport - traffic = not a whole lotta time.

His Sunday night show is more indicative of the music he's listening to himself.
    It's a midnight to 2am slot though.

Mon - Fri is general entertainment along with the music associated with the particular feature + whatever tracks he likes himself that he has time to stick in..

Just like yesterday's show with Anthony and The Johnsons - "I've been playing this for week's on my Sunday night show..."

Then he plays it and half the txts are saying "what the ****.."

Fair play to him, he's honest about what he likes, doesn't like, and what he doesn't know about - he admits it himself. And if you do it with passion, and a bit of humour (both self-deprecating and not) then that's good enough for me a lot of the time.

Just because you as a listener move onto new shows, formats, presenters, music, TV music channels, messageboards etc doesn't mean you can totally disregard those that have come before you and those that have been with you along the way.

I grew up in the country (wayyy out west) in what was two channel land for a lot of it (apart from the crackly BBC Radio 5 for midweek football!) when he was livin' it. There mightn't have been the same variety going on music-wise at the time it was still there and I'm still grateful for those night-times with the wireless and the annual Fanning Fab 50.

Now he's 50 and there's stuff he hasn't done that he wants to try, why not! :-)

There's a very good argument for more of a 'half station playlist/half DJ's own playlist' driven music format that would be great to see in daytime radio. I guess it's better than it was 10 years ago but I can't see it getting that much better either...

- As a by-the-by: Changes at the BBC
    The A list track get hammered less...
    The 5 new acts get up to a maximum of 20 daytime plays between them.
    Not a huge statement but an improvement I guess.

Anyway, in full...

BBC Radio 1 have announced changes to their playlist which will see the introduction of a new fourth playlist. From Thursday the 1 Upfront list will be introduced and will run alongside the current A, B and C lists.

The 1 Upfront list will consist of five tracks each week, averaging two to four plays per track, and will give Radio 1 the ability to support more emerging artists and brand new talent at an earlier stage. In addition to the new list there will be small changes to the A, B and C lists. On the A list the number of rotations each track gets will slightly decrease whilst rotations on the B and C list will see a slight level of increase.

The station's Head of Music and Live Events Alex Jones-Donelly said: "The promotion of new music is at the heart of all the decisions we make which is why we've brought in these changes to the playlist. It's really exciting to give more artists the opportunity of exposure on daytime Radio 1 and that's what the 1 Upfront list will allow us to do."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I'm one of those people who only like Dave now that he has 'sold out'. Back in the 80s/90s when he was all about "here's a band you've never heard of, their new single is only available on didgereedoo and I have all the copies made ever," I couldn't stand him.

rofl Im old enough to remember that :D

Anyway I have to say that Dave Fanning isn't the worst presenter on 2FM.

Anyway I have to say that Dave Fanning isn't the worst presenter on 2FM.
    Not to go OT on my own topic, but oh God no. Those 2 assclowns who took over the morning show from Tubridy have to be near the top. Your man is still doing the mid-Atlantic accent that was so popular in the days of Capital FM and Atlantic 252. Your wan is a bucket of non-sequiters and uninteresting asides that go nowhere ("Yesterday, I went shopping for some shoes".....).

Worst. Hosts. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

corblimey wrote:
    Not to go OT on my own topic, but oh God no. Those 2 assclowns who took over the morning show from Tubridy have to be near the top. Your man is still doing the mid-Atlantic accent that was so popular in the days of Capital FM and Atlantic 252. Your wan is a bucket of non-sequiters and uninteresting asides that go nowhere ("Yesterday, I went shopping for some shoes".....).

Worst. Hosts. Ever.

Well said! I couldn't agree more... I mean what market are they trying to target? Do people actually enjoy having their braincells fried in the morning? I would rather stick pins in my eyes then listen to anything like that sh*t in the morning!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

Well said! I couldn't agree more... I mean what market are they trying to target? Do people actually enjoy having their braincells fried in the morning? I would rather stick pins in my eyes then listen to anything like that sh*t in the morning!!!!

The Moron dollar! huge market!

You'll never go poor by underestimating the sophistication of the general public

Advertisement