Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotation Sensors - Improving My Design

• 12-04-2005 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Some of you remember me posting many moons ago about rotation switches and airflow sensors. Well I managed to build something okay, however we're now working on version 2 of our project and trying to improve the electronics and reliability of it.

I've put up a brief description of it here:
    http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~blowaway/kevin/sensors.htm

I'm hoping that some of you people with real engineering skillsmight have suggestions on how to improve it, either with pre-built componants, or general advice.

Any thoughts you have would be really welcome.

Thanks very much!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Maybe instead of using fans to sense airflow you could use a hot wire anemometer, not really suitable for batteries but no moving parts.

Or you could use one of those anemometers with the hemi-sphere cups on the end as the rotate at 1/3 speed of wind.

Have you thought of using level sensors on the controls to detect which way it leans or having several airflow sensors to detect which way a person is blowing ?

You could use the sensor wheels from inside a mouse - infrared very small and light - no moving electrical contacts like in the motor - if you could figure out a way to differnetiate between each of 6 USB mice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

A Mass Airflow Sensor may be what your looking for here I don't think they are hard to procure and there is tons of info on the net about them.
    Looks like an interesting project

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Hey,

Looks good. I'll check those out. Thanks.

Advertisement