Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

U2 To Play Cork?

• 13-04-2005 12:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭

What does everyone make of the front page of the Echo today?

http://www.eveningecho.ie/pdf/front.pdf

Apparently talks are on-going for a summer concert in order to really put Cork on the map vis a vis Cork City of Culture and all...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I wouldn't be holding my breath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

i would have thought(and i havent read the pdf file) that the finances invovled in bringing u2 to cork would be too much of a risk to to the cork 2005 organisers and their miniscule budget(apparently they are going to be well in debt to the city council thanks to a 5 million euro loan)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Yawnorama. I'd prefer if they stayed in Dublin sucking down artist's tax breaks they don't need, if it's all the same with everyone else.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Would be fantastic if it happens, fingers crossed

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

If it was U2 about 13 years ago when they were doing stuff that was actually interesting, I'd care. But frankly there's about 6 songs on their last two albums combined that actually hold my attention at all, so I don't really care. I'd rather see people like Kerbdog or Biffy Clyro, both of whom have played Cork in the last few months (and will be playing again this weekend - woo!).

• Advertisement

it would be great to have u2 here though it would attract im sure a similar amount of excitement like the opening ceremony did or like oasis did in 95 or the old feile festival when it had "cool" bands, artistic criticisms aside u2 would get more people on the one night then biffy clyro would get in a whole year of playing night anfter night in cork.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

And your point is? Showing crap blockbuster films in the cinemas at cut rate prices would get people to turn up too, it doesn't mean it's something worth doing as a Capital of Culture event. And my point is that, about 13 years ago when Zooropa was released, you might have been able to argue that U2 were doing something interesting. Their recent albums have been radio-friendly pop-rock; I'm not saying this is a bad thing (although it doesn't appeal to me much), but it certainly doesn't have as much artistic merit as their earlier stuff, purely because there's no sense of experimenting with anything new.

Now, if you just want some crowd-pleaser nonsense, do it by all means. But don't have it associated with the capital of culture, because it would in no way overlap with what's supposed to be promoted during the year of culture.

Fysh, you are very obviously not a fan of U2, fair enough, I was never a big fan until I saw them live, some bands are studio bands you go to see them live and they disappoint. U2 for me are the opposite, they are the ultimate stadium rockers, their music comes alive on stage with Bono the egomaniac at the helm, its an experience, a special one and I hope it come to Cork this Autumn, I hope u enjoy Biffy Clyro!!

I saw U2 live, I wasn't impressed. I used to like them years ago, they're Just Another Band to me these days. I have a friend that's obsessed with them, he's about as interesting to me when he goes on about them as I would be when I get on a roll about technology or politics. BORING! STFU!

"Bono" can kiss my shiny metal ass.

adam

comet wrote:
    Fysh, you are very obviously not a fan of U2, fair enough, I was never a big fan until I saw them live, some bands are studio bands you go to see them live and they disappoint. U2 for me are the opposite, they are the ultimate stadium rockers, their music comes alive on stage with Bono the egomaniac at the helm, its an experience, a special one and I hope it come to Cork this Autumn, I hope u enjoy Biffy Clyro!!

Actually, I've been following U2's career most of my life - they're probably the first band I ever started listening to because my older brother was listening to them ever since I can remember and I found myself drawn to them. I don't think that an honest appraisal of their music today compared to ten or fifteen years ago would find them maintaining standards - around about Zooropa time they were exploring different sounds. Today they're moving towards more conservative poprock - a fine thing, but it's not particularly interesting, especially when several songs on the same album end up with the same structure. I'm sure they're fun live, but frankly the same could be said of Britney Spears and I don't see her being petitioned to play as part of the Capital of Culture. If we want gigs and attention to the Capital Of Culture year, it should either be local music or just plain innovative or interesting music. If U2 want to play down here anyway, then I think it'd be great - bands that size rarely come near us. I'm more concerned about the sales pitch and their reasons for coming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Play Cork at what???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I'm more concerned about the sales pitch and their reasons for coming
    They dont need one
    If they decide to play in Cork it will sell out in hours.

gimmick wrote:
    Play Cork at what???
    ROFL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

It might surprise you, for some reason things just don't sell in Cork for no good reason.
    I'm from Cork too M8
    I am going to see U2 in Berlin in July
    I'm more concerned about the sales pitch and their reasons for coming
    They are on a World tour ,one which will gross over $300m this year ,one which has sold out every venue announced in hours in over 20 countries .
    Do you need any other reasons ?

What are the odds that all U2 fans use Firefox? :)

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I'm skeptical it's a "proper" festival, i.e. I'm betting it'll be a one-nighter or a badly organised two-nighter, which I don't consider a festival. But then I'm a right bitch about these things, I don't consider it a festival unless: a) I stay at least three nights in a tent; b) there's a big wheel, a ballroom and a circus on-site; and c) every type of food under the sun is available*. And it's in Somerset.

adam /liberal snob

* As against BOOOORGERS!

They are on a World tour ,one which will gross over $300m this year ,one which has sold out every venue announced in hours in over 20 countries .
    Do you need any other reasons ?

Nope. You've just highlighted exactly why, if they play Cork, it shouldn't involve the Capital of Culture thing. They're neither an example of Cork Culture nor a particularly shining example of Irish contemporary culture (although I'd prefer them to the whining singer-songwriter shíte that seems to be so in vogue these days); if they want to play down here, great. But given that the resources available for the Cork 2005 group are limited, I'd rather they spend the money on something more interesting than convincing U2 to come and play.

Disagreeing by virtue of the arguments above is like saying Britney should play as part of Cork 2005.

• Advertisement

I'd just like to point out that I'd agree to U2 playing Cork if I can personally kick the Langer Song guy up the arse. Hard.

adam

No wonder Cork events don't get supported well if the attitudes on this thread are anything to go by. Pathetic really. A big event is trying to be organised it sounds very promising with the possibly of U2 as headliners and all ye can do is moan and groan. The presence of U2 at any event/festival in Europe would be considered a very big deal.

daveirl - Brian Wilson is playing Vicar Street in Dublin a small venue, down here he is playing a 4,000 seater Marquee, a big difference so you can hardly compare them!!

It would be gr8 if U2 played Cork but I agree that they shouldnt be offered sweeteners to do so.
    They are outrageously rich and they would gross €3m from the ticket sales and another €1m from merchandise.
    That is enough of an incentive
    Also alot of the concert crew are from Cork itself so it would be a nice way to end the European leg of the tour.

comet wrote:
    No wonder Cork events don't get supported well if the attitudes on this thread are anything to go by.
    Cork people are notoriously lethargic. It's not a new phenomenon, why the big surprise?
    Pathetic really.
    And why the offensive attitude? Nobody's been particularly rude to you, why do you have to get snotty just because not everone agrees with you?
    A big event is trying to be organised it sounds very promising with the possibly of U2 as headliners and all ye can do is moan and groan.
    I don't think anyone's moaned and groaned, except perhaps in jest. Fysh's comments about U2's contribution to culture in recent times may be arguable, but his assertion that they're not part of Cork culture is irrefutable. U2's only links to Cork are that they played here a long time ago (and have conspicuously not played here since), and that they have (or used to have) a Corkonian as a sound engineer.
    The presence of U2 at any event/festival in Europe would be considered a very big deal.
    It would, but this event is specifically supposed to be part of the celebration of Cork culture, and we have plenty of small and medium sized acts that will draw huge crowds if organised and marketed properly. And plenty of historical acts that will reform if asked nicely and paid well. I know people that would fly halfway around the world to see some of these.

Let's knock up a list between us. How about this for starters:
    • The Sultans of Ping FC
    • Power of Dreams / Pharmacy
    • Belsonic Sound
    • The Frank and Walters
    • Fred
    • Ruby Horse
    • The Emperors of Ice Cream
    • Fatima Mansions
    I'm not even a big music fan, so half those people could be dead by now, but there's a hell of a lot more too. See here for a bigger list that Jim's put together.

(Jim, weren't the 3355409's big enough to warrant a mention? :))

adam

dahamsta wrote:

And why the offensive attitude? Nobody's been particularly rude to you, why do you have to get snotty just because not everone agrees with you?

adam

I didn't intent to be offensive, I was just depressed at the general tone of the thread. I think when there are honest moves made to create something special people should be a bit more open minded. If it turns out to be a disaster, badly organied, whatever then I'll be the first to criticise it but I think people could have a more positive attitude. If you have no interest in seeing U2 musically then fair enough, everyone has different tastes.

dahamsta wrote:

It would, but this event is specifically supposed to be part of the celebration of Cork culture, and we have plenty of small and medium sized acts that will draw huge crowds if organised and marketed properly.

adam

Local small and medium size acts can draw huge crowds. You must be joking me?? Local acts can just about get decent sized crowds in small venues around the city. Pairc Ui Choaimh is another league, one that they aren't in. I'm sure those bands will be on the line-up somewhere anyway.
    This is a small country since when has Cork such a unique culture that a band from 150 miles up the road could not be part of it? Anyway the event is supposed to be about putting Cork on the map. People will travel from far and wide to a big festival if its done right when they are here then they can check out the real culture of Cork for themselves.

Anyway the long and the short of it is this whole thing could end up a farce but I'm willing to give it a chance, if U2 are on the bill then we won't have to worry about whether Cork people support it or not (which I'm sure they will)because people will travel from around the country to be there anyway.

comet wrote:
    I didn't intent to be offensive, I was just depressed at the general tone of the thread.
    I think you're reading too much into it tbh.
    I think when there are honest moves made to create something special people should be a bit more open minded. If it turns out to be a disaster, badly organied, whatever then I'll be the first to criticise it but I think people could have a more positive attitude. If you have no interest in seeing U2 musically then fair enough, everyone has different tastes.
    Sure they do, and U2 isn't one of mine particularly. I'd prefer that a celebration of Cork culture didn't revolve around them, because imho it would defeat the purpose almost entirely. I guess that's negative towards U2, but I like to think it's being positive about Cork.
    Local small and medium size acts can draw huge crowds. You must be joking me?? Local acts can just about get decent sized crowds in small venues around the city. Pairc Ui Choaimh is another league, one that they aren't in.
    Who said anything about the Park? Cork has a long-standing tradition and culture of running one of the most successful scaled music festivals in the world. Moreover, Cork isn't suitable for running a large-scale festival - we simply don't have the layout for it - and Cork doesn't have any indigenous acts that are big enough to "headline" and fill a stadium.

We do have enough to absolutely pack all those smaller venues though, and plenty to play a medium-sized "headline" gig or two. Imagine all those old bands reformed for one day on a stage on the Parade for example, and another with the newer bands perhaps. Tell me that wouldn't be packed. I'll pay for that ticket right now, where do I sign up?

That to me would be a celebration of Cork culture. Having tens of thousands of people scuttle into Cork to catch a single major headline act and scuttle right back out again afterwards would not be an achievement in my view. Unless of course eating greasy chips and dodgy booorgers out of one of the legions of chip vans that descend on the park is your idea of Cork culture...

adam

dahamsta wrote:
    Unless of course eating greasy chips and dodgy booorgers ............ is your idea of Cork culture...

You know I think a lot of people might just agree with that ;) well its what happens in Cork at the fountain every night of the week......

comet wrote:
    You know I think a lot of people might just agree with that ;) well its what happens in Cork at the fountain every night of the week......
    Ah, but that's Yob Culture comet, as Michael Howard will tell you. :)

• Advertisement

just going off what i said earlier, would it not be great for something similar to feile 95 to happen in cork again? imagine if anything like the caliber of bands that played then came to cork again? one can dream <sigh>

Advertisement