Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Top 10 sad bastards on Irish roads

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Stephen wrote:
    Sawthis on Cloud's planetoftheblogs.com site this evening:

http://gerrysrants.blogspot.com/2005/04/top-ten-sad-bastards-on-irish-roads.html

Its all true.

1; I like personal/vanity plates. I don't have them, but I see some very witty ones out there like the one on the Toy Hybrid, "MOBL OHM", I've seen "GUINESS", "TALLAGH", "CORCAIG", on plates and saw one in Dub with "DANS RIG" on it. Mine had "LOW YOTA" for a while.

There were more than a few GTI's in Limerick when GTI ### was available.

2; Only problem I have is the insurance and getting grit in my hair. Otherwise, no better no worse than sun roofs, they all leak.

3; I'll agree with that, actually add bull-bars on anything but a bull. I have seen them on vans also. Dam dangerous too as they can snag stuff.
    Forgot the mention the electric front winch.

4; Ignore them, it's a passing phase.

5; No problem with that, assuming the van is not trashed. Looks fine on a passenger van.

6, 7, 8 & 10; Who cares, so long as they can see the road. To everyone his own. I've seen cars plastered all over with stickers, front and back ledges loaded with stuffed floppy eared toys, windmills on the hitch point, rubber hands stuck out of the boot lid, Christmas lights about the eve and spinner hubcaps. One coated with Blue feathers also.

9; I don't care so long as they drive OK.

PS, concentrate on the car you are driving, not inspecting cars you are not driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Agree with all of it, especially the bull bars. Dangerous, pointless and lethal in case of an accident with a pedestrian. Should be banned.

But really, really, REALLY sad are bullbars made from plastic. Like the one Suzuki sells aftermarket for the Jimny. Pointless to the very extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

My dad has a 307 with 307 on the number plate. It was a demo car at a garrage. He didnt even notice it till I pointed it out to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭FuzzyZoeller

The saddest (and illegal) number plate I have seen was on a new Volvo XC 90 D5

It read: 05 - D5 - 90

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Have to disagree with the comment about convertibles. You don't have to have temperatures in the high 20's to enjoy driving a rag-top, as long as it's not raining. In fact, even if it is raining as long as you maintain a steady speed above a certain limit, in many convertibles the rain just flies over the top of you in the airflow.

I had an MX-5 in a previous life, and the most pleasant time to drive it open was in the middle of winter, on one of those dry crisp frosty, sunny days you sometimes get. Heater on full blast, side windows up and a hat and scarf for when you have to stop at traffic lights, and it feels like a ton of cold air has suddenly descended into the cockpit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

i've seen a Mini with the registration 01-MN-1 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Seen a Black BMW with the reg '9* SO 666' (not sure about the year).
    And who was driving it but a priest!

On the "Top Ten Sad Bastards On Irish Roads", there are many more like...
    The 'overtaking-lane' hoggers!
    These fuc¿ers really think the own the place. They never move in and they make you pass them on the inside lane.

Lazy Speed Camera Cops
    Go to the accident black spots of the country and setup speed checks there? Hell no. Too much like hard work. Let's go down to the motorway or dual-carriageway and get them there! Shooting fish in a barrel, or what?!!!

Unnecessary Traffic Lights
    You know the ones and not those at busy junctions. Those which stop the traffic for no reason and are a hindrance to good traffic flow.

Cork City Drivers
    Ever heard of lane discipline?! Or indicators?

Taxi Drivers
    Sure I know the way! It's just the most expensive and the longest way around. And I stop where I like. And i won't use indicators.

Those Drivers who don't know the width of their own cars
    Oh, oh, oh I'll never get my big wide car through the small gap! Ever get stuck behind these fµckers? You can clearly see that the gap is wide enough but these gob****es won't MOVE!!!

Cars with a Donegal Reg.
    Have you ever seen a car with Donegal reg with the correct font and font size?

Those 60 kph (40 mph) drivers.
    Your driving to Dublin and you're stuck in a line of 20 cars just because there's some gob****e at the from doing 60 kph when the speed limit is 100 kph. You end up having to take huge risks to pass out these bastards.

• Site Banned Posts: 159 ✭✭Drummer

I dont get this one !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Top of my list would be the sort of driver who is bothered about the items in the top ten list above...

• Site Banned Posts: 159 ✭✭Drummer

Two things -

1. I think bull bars look well and dress the front of a vehicle. It isn't as though not having them makes the mown pedestrian more comfortable. Drive more carefully !

2. You can't blame the lil muppets dressing their cars up. It aint their fault the insurance industry force them to drive granny bangers. Although, a little tact when coming to your chosen design wouldn't go astray lads. Some are done very tastefully and some look crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'd like to add that I frequently see British / Northern Irish cars breaking the speed limits and breaking other rules of the road. Alot of these people don't seem to give a fu*k about the laws down here. I don't think I've ever seen them being pulled over either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

PH01 wrote:
    Cars with a Donegal Reg.
    Have you ever seen a car with Donegal reg with the correct font and font size?

Never. All of them have a bold font. Why, I do not know. Surely the NCT should fail them all?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Drummer wrote:
    I dont get this one !

Should be 05 - D - 590, but he rearranged the dashes. Illegal to do. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

As usual a load of sh**e written by someone who's jealous of BMW drivers (more expensive cars than his) and thinks he's better than people with Micra's (cheaper cars than his) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

PH01 wrote:
    Your driving to Dublin and you're stuck in a line of 20 cars just because there's some gob****e at the from doing 60 kph when the speed limit is 100 kph. You end up having to take huge risks to pass out these bastards.
    Amen to that. There is a place in hell specially reserved for these c*nts!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Some of the later ones I agree with.
    Otherwise this guy is just bitter.

WTF is wrong with convertables? Britain and Ireland are the biggest buyers of convertibles in Europe. Probably because when it is sunny you can make the most of it and not sit sweating in a car.

Bitterbitterbitterbitterbitterbitterbitterbitter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Don't agree with number 1 - cherished plates look good on a car and add some variety to Irish motoring.

Number 2 - well, so so.

The rest is dead on, boy racers in Micras, Corsas.....or any car look really sad, ditto re Transits with alloys, window stickers, etc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

Originally Posted by FuzzyZoeller

That's my uncle's brother's car - And yeah, I agree that it's a bit silly alright

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I saw a Saab 95 with this plate -

03-LK-03.

Not as silly as the Volvo plate, but still technically illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

That's my uncle's brother's car - And yeah, I agree that it's a bit silly alright

Um, wouldnt that still make him your (other) uncle?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I think Toyota drivers deserve a place of their own on those lists. Especially Yaris/Starlet and Corrolla driver with a generous contribution given by Carina/Avensis drivers.
    Always going too slow totally oblivious to the three mile tailback behind them :mad:

Igy wrote:

I have seen one here, obviously a French owner as the front had a "F" and a std French plate with the text "MINI BABE", seen another "MINI MEE"

PH01 wrote:
    Seen a Black BMW with the reg '9* SO 666' (not sure about the year).
    And who was driving it but a priest!

On the "Top Ten Sad Bastards On Irish Roads", there are many more like...
    The 'overtaking-lane' hoggers!
    These fuc¿ers really think the own the place. They never move in and they make you pass them on the inside lane.

Standing ovation here please.

Please differenciate between dangerous/illegal-nonspec items and pure and simple killers as this reader has with pinpoint accuracy.

Plastic bull bars, ...... better than steel ones.

It's just the bit that sticks outside the line of the vehicle I have a safety problem with, otherwise they are a guarenteed killer, so one will rarely be faced with the option of "vegetating" in bed for 20 years.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Igy wrote:
    You can pre book a registration for something €300 - but you have to wait until all numbers up to your chosen one have been registered before you can drive.
    However, lets say you pre-book 06-D-1000000 then you could be waiting a few years!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Chaz wrote:
    Um, wouldnt that still make him your (other) uncle?
    Not if he was your "uncle" because he's married to one of your parents brothers or sisters... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

9. Minimalist "L" plates.
    Often seen on 4. above. The little bollocks doesn't want to compromise his reputation as a serious petrolhead and let people know that he is just a learner. So he cuts the white border away from the red letter of his "L" plates and sticks them in the corners where they won't be seen.

Man I hate this. I also hate people who put the 'L' plates on back to front or upside down. FFS, anyone who cannot manage to put on an 'L' plate correctly should receive a mandatory lifelong driving ban as they are clearly too stupid to be allowed to be in charge of a vehicle.

I sometimes wish I could be a traffic cop for a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Stephen wrote:
    Sawthis on Cloud's planetoftheblogs.com site this evening:

http://gerrysrants.blogspot.com/2005/04/top-ten-sad-bastards-on-irish-roads.html

Its all true.
    Its not all true, Gerry O'Sullivan sounds like the sort of nob who drives a diesel Primera or a Hyundai Accent.

I used have a Renault 4 with bullbars I made from an old farm gate and a row of spotlights on the roof. As for personalised plates, if the cops don't bother about it, the rest of the population can get snotted.

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

magpie wrote:
    anyone who cannot manage to put on an 'L' plate correctly should receive a mandatory lifelong driving ban as they are clearly too stupid to be allowed to be in charge of a vehicle.

I second this - they rarely know or care how roundabouts work either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I don't like alot of the points,
    Bullbars can look nice, and they can look crap, depending on the vehicle and style of bar.
    I can't stand the souped up prams that the 18 year olds drive, because of the manner in which they are driven.

But over all, how someone dresses up thier car is a matter of personal choice. If they like it let them off. Some guy who pays a premium for a particular reg plate, may think i'm mad for blowing the equivalent amount of money on a couple of nights drinking!

As long as the drive well, i don't care how their cars look, and i don't car what others think of mine, (91 MX-5 Soft Top).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

PH01 wrote:

Here Here. Would be too bad if there were more dual carriageways/Climbing lanes around but as it stands, it is the biggest pain in the rear. What's nearly as bad though is the muppet behind the slow driver not overtaking when it's clear to do so.

Add to the list, drivers who flick cigerette butts out their window :mad:
    What's the Ashtray for you stupid f*cking Pr*ck!!!

Advertisement