Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HI HO Hi ho we off to work in Drogheda...

• 13-04-2005 7:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I am off to work in Drogheda, being transfered from dublin getting closer to my native home..... My new place of work is the business park on the dromore rd, I hope I have that right. I have a few questions I hope you can answer for me:

So people of Knowledge, what is drogheda like?
    Where's the good area and not so good area's?
    I am a country boy so where outside of the town is easy to commute from?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Welcome to Drogheeda! I think your talking about the Donore Road? This is my own personal opinion of Drogheda so please no flaming me as I'm still getting over the last time. ;)

Regarding Pubs and clubs there's plenty to keep you going. The main ones would probably be RedZ, Harry Grooms, Star, The Mariner, O'Shea's and the new one in the Westcourt Hotel. Plenty more to try out.

Clubs. Earth, Storm and Star are the main ones. I prefer Star myself.

Regarding areas, if you want to commute you would probably need a car as public transport isn't great. If so there's a wide range of places that are ok. Slane, Laytown and Bettystown, Mornington etc. Within Drogheda there are both good and bad places like every other big town. The southside of the town is much sought after mainly for access to the train station and the right side of town for access to Dublin. Northside has a few gems hidden away. Really dependant on how close to the centre you want to be. Here's a link that might be useful. Also heres a map courtesy of positron. Any queries you have just post and someone should be able to answer your questions. Good luck with the move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Donegal man, where in the busniness park are ya working?
    I'm just after starting work in there too, at least I think it's the Donore Road one. I'm in Atlantic Industries/Drogheda Concentrates/Coca-Cola. Take your pick. ;p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

will I? wont I? ok I will heres a link to THE THREAD http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=163909
    full of useless(ful) information.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Oh no! NOT "THE THREAD"! AGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH! ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭the jew

there's nothing in drogheda, just move to a proper a town

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=251969

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭eyebrows

What do ya mean there's nothing in drogheda? There's hills isn't there. And eh.... one way streets and eh... mmm... cabbages and eh.. did I mention hills...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

I think i'l stay outta this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Torann

the jew wrote:

Drogheda is great cráic to go out in!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭shayg1971

Ah ha,
    I'm also from Donegal, and via Belfast, Portsmouth, Dublin and San Francisco I'm now all settled (relatively) in Slane.

So, if you're looking for a cool little country village, with a couple of decent pubs, and some rolling hills to remind you of home (and the odd sheep), you could do worse than look at here.

Its a 20 minute, traffic free, toll free commute to Drogheda. And on the N2, and towards the N3. Certainly a lot better than starting from Dublin if yer headin' to Dun na nGall of a Friday night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭GaMMoN

the jew wrote:

True!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

it's mini dublin, biggest town in ireland, but it still sucks. better then bleedin ashbourne or balbriggan anywayz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Kenshi

You know what. People living in the most Glamourous places on the planet wanna be somewhere else. I think it's just human nature. When you are there you wanna be back. I'm talking to you grumpy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

shayg1971 wrote:
    Ah ha,
    I'm also from Donegal, and via Belfast, Portsmouth, Dublin and San Francisco I'm now all settled (relatively) in Slane.

So, if you're looking for a cool little country village, with a couple of decent pubs, and some rolling hills to remind you of home (and the odd sheep), you could do worse than look at here.

Its a 20 minute, traffic free, toll free commute to Drogheda. And on the N2, and towards the N3. Certainly a lot better than starting from Dublin if yer headin' to Dun na nGall of a Friday night!

Ehmmm.....
    Where are the decent pubs in Slane? I'm struggling to name one never mind a couple. Long live The Poet's Rest in it's mid-90's flavour....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

Kenshi wrote:
    You know what. People living in the most Glamourous places on the planet wanna be somewhere else. I think it's just human nature. When you are there you wanna be back.

Well I certainly NEVER wanna go back to Drogheda!

Advertisement