Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Race meeting

Options
  • 13-04-2005 7:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

My name is John and I'm organising a 10th scale electric car race meeting in a couple of weeks in Mayfield sports complex in Cork (indoor). Would you be interested in attending?? I used be the Chairman for the Cork Radio Car Club a while back and I want to start up the club again.

If you know of any more people interested will you let me know...

Contact me asap I need to book the hall but need about 20 people or more to brake even (we also have a transponder system and computer software to plan all race heats and finals) very posh!!

John
    087 9 432 433

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Perhaps if you posted more details of the meeting (ie, price), you'd get a better response. I know there are a few r/c car drivers from Cork here.

Fobia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ger corkery

John,

I still have a few cars in my shed. They could do with a run to shake off the cobwebs. Let me know the details and you can count me in.

ger.corkery@ie.nestle.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 WebDesignCork

Hi Lads,

The hall is costing €35 per hour for about 4 hours so the approx cost €10-15. Like we used do it before 4 qualifying heats and a final with 2 classes stock and modified ( Ger you probably remember how it goes ). I was thinking of May 15 or 22 any takers. If we could get a monthly thing up and running ( outside in the summer Electric and Nitro (costs a little cheaper to be outside but will need to hire a genie for power to the computers

If you need any more info give me a shout 087 9432 433

John

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Could you give a few more details please ?
    Like Surface... Tyres.... Motor allowed etc..
    I might enter my son...( He is better than me at driving them) :rolleyes:

Hi Again

Still havent narrowed down to a date hopefully 29 May or 5 June. Using the transponder system it will put you in a class with similer skill - use what ever motor you want the only thing you would need are spiked tyres (Schumacher yellow pins) if you want some send me an email and I could order them from the internet or go to anyhobby shop to get them ( I'm not saying they have them but they could get them).

Just to let you know when we were running the club there just as many big boys as young ones racing we had a good laugh.

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭CHUCKLEZ

How much for the tyres?
    How much are rims to go with them?

Getting together a letric ;) here to race, dunno if its any good or not, but I will give it a go ;)

As far as I can remember rims, tyres,inserts used cost me about 60-70euro

Its not a cheap hobby is it???? :confused: :eek:

will have to have a talk with the bro....He's the man wit the money ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Mickb

From a UK ModelShop
    12 SPOKE 24MM WHEELS - WHITE (4)
    See Item Part Number: U2366 £4.99
    MINI PIN 25MM TYRES - YELLOW (2)
    See Item Part Number: U6624 £6.99
    FOAM TYRE INSERT 25MM - SOFT (2)
    See Item Part Number: U6626 £1.99

Total: £22.95

Just remember to add postage to the above.

Also racing indoors there is no need to glue the tyre to the rim/wheel. So one set of wheels (inserts) can be used for years.......

MiCk B. :-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Mickb wrote:
    ...Also racing indoors there is no need to glue the tyre to the rim/wheel. So one set of wheels (inserts) can be used for years.......

Actually, you can glue them on and get 'em off later.
    Just use high viscosity cyanoacrylate glue, ...3 dots of it on each rim.
    The tyre won't move in normal use, but when you want to change/renew the tyre all it takes is six snips with a scalpel for a release job. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ger corkery

John,
    The bank holiday weekend in June is no good for me, Any other time is cool.
    When you decide on a date give me a buzz.
    Ger. (0876571674)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Mickb

More what I ment by not gluing is that the tyres will stayon indoors without glue. As apposed to out-doors on tarmac etc. where the tyres must be glued.

MiCk B. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Ken A

Hey guys...just came across this thread....fromer Cork radio Car Club members will know me well.

JP...I hate to put a dampener on things but Mayfield wont give u the hall without insurance. The club that was CRCC didnt renew their insurance. :(
    In fact, I think you'll find it very hard to get anywhere these days without insurance.
    Also, the transponder system is not belong to the club anymore. Noel Q and myself were responsible for paying it off when the club no longer continued to meet.

Ken A wrote:
    Also, the transponder system is not belong to the club anymore. Noel Q and myself were responsible for paying it off when the club no longer continued to meet.
    How necessary is a transponder system? :confused: How often is there a neck and neck finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭SLIM19198

Who owns the transponder system so now?

SLIM19198 wrote:

Not involved with any of Cork's affairs, but I too find the last statement Ken A made a little odd....
    Ken A wrote:

To me, it sounds like the club was paying for it, but when it disbanded 2 people had to finish the payments on it with their own money. This would mean that the club own a percentage of it, and the 2 people who finished paying it off own the precentage they paid for, no?

Unless of course these 2 people paid for it in full, in which case the transponder system is of course theirs :)

Sorry if I've misunderstood something,
    Fobia.

coolwings wrote:
    How necessary is a transponder system? :confused: How often is there a neck and neck finish?

If you have ever raced at competition level mate you wouldnt have to ask this !!
    It would be almost pre-historic to run a race meeting nowadays without the automated lap counting system and corresponding software.

I'm sure Mick B could add one or two things to this.

SLIM19198 wrote:

No misunderstanding guys...the club owns a percentage of the system but is no longer the sole owner.

In any case, the system will not be used in any non-CRCC event.

But there is no more crcc any more so ye should start it up again and some from here will more than lickly join and hopefully chip in towards things.

CHUCKLEZ wrote:
    But there is no more crcc any more so ye should start it up again and some from here will more than lickly join and hopefully chip in towards things.

Been tried before a few times mate. Unfortunately there isnt enough interest down this end of the country anymore. A club cannot survive on " a few people chipping in " !!!

• Advertisement

CHUCKLEZ wrote:

CRCC never disbanded. It just hasnt raced in the last 2 years !!!

Ken A wrote:
    Been tried before a few times mate. Unfortunately there isnt enough interest down this end of the country anymore. A club cannot survive on " a few people chipping in " !!!

Most clubs do.

Fobia wrote:
    Most clubs do.

Well when it's costing you 100euros a day to race ( fees for the hall ) and you charge 5-8 euros race fees ...you do the maths fobia !! If you have 10 people, then you're losing money...

A little more than a few needed wouldnt you say ?

Well, if you incorporated Nitro and off road, Im sure you would get a lot more interested!!!

I know at least 4 people with Nitro off and on roaders that would join!

SLIM19198 wrote:
    Well, if you incorporated Nitro and off road, Im sure you would get a lot more interested!!!

I know at least 4 people with Nitro off and on roaders that would join!

Do me a favour !!!

I dont think you guys on here know that we DID run off road as well as touring cars. We DID give a go to Nitro cars and it didnt work out.

The Cork club was going for well over 10 years so there's not a whole lot you guys can tell me (or any one of us who ran the club) about how to get a club going, get people interested etc.

There are a few Off road clubs in Dublin and the North and there are also Nitro clubs up the country. All have struggled from time to time but I'm sure they'd be delighted to get ye guys racing with them !

I personally dont think a meeting in Cork will work. But hey, who am I to voice my opinion. I have only raced R/c cars On road & off-road for about 10 years !!!

John Paul....I'm not trying to put you off organising a meeting but I am just trying to put you in the picture a little bit and make you aware of the pit falls
    . I personally dont think it will work but if it's something you really want to do then I wish you all the best.

Ken A wrote:
    I personally dont think a meeting in Cork will work. But hey, who am I to voice my opinion. I have only raced R/c cars On road & off-road for about 10 years !!!

I'm not trying to deny you an opinion, but I personally think you are wrong.

1) You say it cost you 100euro a day to rent a hall? Surely you'd only be racing for 3 hours or so, why rent it for the full day (I think 100euro is over the top anyways, a community centre should be cheap enough).

2)If you stopped charging people 5-8euro a week and instead simply charged membership fees (as most clubs do), then you'd be guarenteed to have the hall paid for and people not showing up wouldn't bother you.

3) Even if you kept your old ways of running it, and just put up the race fees to 12 euro, you could get by on a few people, and with the new members you'd get today (kids, and some people from this board), you should easily be able to get 10 people per meeting.

Thus, I think you're being a little stubborn in saying that a Cork club is impossible :)

My 2 cents,
    Fobia.

Hell, id pay a tenner a day just for somewhere decent to bash with my offroader in cork!!!

Anyone have access to Vernon Mount???? ;)

Fobia wrote:
    I'm not trying to deny you an opinion, but I personally think you are wrong.

1) You say it cost you 100euro a day to rent a hall? Surely you'd only be racing for 3 hours or so, why rent it for the full day (I think 100euro is over the top anyways, a community centre should be cheap enough).

2)If you stopped charging people 5-8euro a week and instead simply charged membership fees (as most clubs do), then you'd be guarenteed to have the hall paid for and people not showing up wouldn't bother you.

3) Even if you kept your old ways of running it, and just put up the race fees to 12 euro, you could get by on a few people, and with the new members you'd get today (kids, and some people from this board), you should easily be able to get 10 people per meeting.

Thus, I think you're being a little stubborn in saying that a Cork club is impossible :)

My 2 cents,
    Fobia.
    The only decent sized hall we could get ( bearing in mind these cars can get up to 40mph) was in Mayfield and it costs 35e/ph.

Membership fees in our old club was to pay for the insurance of the club which normally cost somewhere between 6oo and 800 euro.

I'm not saying a Cork meet is impossible, I've tried along with a few others for 12 months before we stopped racing in Cork to keep the club afloat and get people racing etc but the interest just doesnt appear to be there. Maybe half a dozen but thats about it. And personally, for the amount of gear I had to carry, with the computer and transponder system, and with it taking half an hour to set it up and half an hour to take it down again at the end ,didnt think it was worth the hassle. And oh...I ran most of the meetings too !

If anyone else wants to give it a go by all means I'll go and watch to see how it's done !

• Advertisement

Ken A wrote:
    ....And personally, for the amount of gear I had to carry, with the computer and transponder system, and with it taking half an hour to set it up and half an hour to take it down again at the end ,didnt think it was worth the hassle. ....
    Ken A wrote:
    ....Well when it's costing you 100euros a day to race ( fees for the hall ) and you charge 5-8 euros race fees ...you do the maths ....

It is perfectly clear to me why the old club "ran down".
    Some clubs exist to simplify the hobby for beginners, pass on expertise, and generally reduce the cost of doing modelling. These clubs are thriving up and down Ireland.

Other clubs quickly "become elitist", tout high priced gear, start winner takes all type leagues, charging for fancy monitoring gear, and generally puts beginners off by increasing the cost of the hobby. No disrespect to anyone but this sort of club usually has been taken over by someone who wants the other members to "pay for their hobby costs". This is a competitive sort of club good for running competitions but not good for new members. These clubs are necessary, but the presence of cheating and the extraordinary measures to fight cheating, just put me right off.
    I don't enjoy the time spent there joining in that.

I guess I just prefer a different type of club ....

I guess that a lot of off-road RCers have also voted against race clubs by choosing models that can be used in places where clubs aren't present....

Coolwings - who likes to fly out on the mountains well away from all the hassle some modellers try to put into his hobby

(flame suit on and awaiting lots of crossfire ) ;)

Advertisement