Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Race meeting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭SLIM19198

Well spoken coolwings!

At the moment I would be happy with a bit of waste ground, maybe even a park, where we could meet up, do a bit of bashing, maybe some racing (no monitoring system needed), generally have a fun day out!

If we get a lot more members and better at driving/racing, then we look in to proper racing and event days, but for now, just keep it simple.

A nice car park in the middle of nowhere would suffice!

As for size, the greyhound stadium in curraheen cork has 2 huge car parks, one smooth and one gravel, that are only used at night and only like 4 days a week, anyone want to make enquiries? :p

SLIM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Ken A

coolwings wrote:
    It is perfectly clear to me why the old club "ran down".
    Some clubs exist to simplify the hobby for beginners, pass on expertise, and generally reduce the cost of doing modelling. These clubs are thriving up and down Ireland.

Other clubs quickly "become elitist", tout high priced gear, start winner takes all type leagues, charging for fancy monitoring gear, and generally puts beginners off by increasing the cost of the hobby. No disrespect to anyone but this sort of club usually has been taken over by someone who wants the other members to "pay for their hobby costs". This is a competitive sort of club good for running competitions but not good for new members. These clubs are necessary, but the presence of cheating and the extraordinary measures to fight cheating, just put me right off.
    I don't enjoy the time spent there joining in that.

I guess I just prefer a different type of club ....

I guess that a lot of off-road RCers have also voted against race clubs by choosing models that can be used in places where clubs aren't present....

Coolwings - who likes to fly out on the mountains well away from all the hassle some modellers try to put into his hobby

(flame suit on and awaiting lots of crossfire ) ;)

You DO have a good point Coolwings but unfortunately the human mind is competitive by nature. A club starts ( likr ours did) with low priced gear, everyone happy to toddle round a few obstacles. After a few weeks this gets boring and a proper track is developed. When this gets mastered and people get used to driving, they want their cars to go faster !!! And they want to beat other people, which leads to buying faster motors and needing better cells to power these motors etc etc. Thats the way it is !

People start off by meeting on " a patch of land " and giving their cars a run but very soon get bored of that and start off a club, eventually leading to what I mentioned above.
    coolwings wrote:
    Some clubs exist to simplify the hobby for beginners, pass on expertise, and generally reduce the cost of doing modelling. These clubs are thriving up and down Ireland.

I've been involved in R/c model car racing well over 10yrs at National and International level, racing and organising and I've never come across a club that solely exists to encourage, facilitate new members. People like to RACE !

Off road racing vehicles prove too expensive for ordinary guys who just want to give their cars a "run" every now and again and that is why they pick "other" types of off-road vehicles which are cheaper and give the same satisfaction level !
    coolwings wrote:
    No disrespect to anyone but this sort of club usually has been taken over by someone who wants the other members to "pay for their hobby costs".

I dont particuliarly like this comment mate. It looks pretty obvious you've never been involved in a " racing club".
    Our old club had a full committee, money had to be accounted for and money handed out had to passed by the committee and 2 signatures were needed on the cheque. In a well run club, nobody pockets money to "pay for their hobby" or otherwise. This is the way most clubs operate . !!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Ken A wrote:
    ...the human mind is competitive by nature. A club starts ( likr ours did) with low priced gear, everyone happy to toddle round a....people get used to driving, they want their cars to go faster ...which leads to buying faster motors and needing better cells to power these motors etc etc. Thats the way it is !
    Not suggesting this happened in the club, (how could I know if it did) but it's the "pushing" of beginners up the technology ladder that is wrong, we all move up as we learn. but at a different speed for each..
    Ken A wrote:
    ... People start off by meeting on " a patch of land " and giving their cars a run but very soon get bored of that and start off a club, eventually leading to what I mentioned above.
    Absolutely no problems with that, at all. It's how every club gets going.
    Ken A wrote:
    ...I've been involved in R/c model car racing well over 10yrs at National and International level, racing and organising and I've never come across a club that solely exists to encourage, facilitate new members. People like to RACE !
    I've got to differ with you on this. What about scouts, sports training, athletics, fishing clubs? All of them are far more successful than the pitiful RC racing clubs we have. But they don't put the novices up against the pros. The pros compete with each other, and mentor/teach the novices. They have leagues based on ability. Golf has a handicap system to bring experts down so they can play beginners. If they want to.
    Ken A wrote:
    ...Off road racing vehicles prove too expensive for ordinary guys who just want to give their cars a "run" every now and again and that is why they pick "other" types of off-road vehicles which are cheaper and give the same satisfaction level !
    I disagree on this too, but not for the reason you'd expect. I think (slightly) more beginners buy offroaders. The reason ... they don't know anyone in their area who already does RC cars. They only find out who does it later after the car is bought. But the club guys don't know how many trucks are out there cos they are being used somewhere out of sight of the club track.
    Ken A wrote:
    ...I dont particuliarly like this comment mate. ..Our old club had a full committee, money had to be accounted for ...In a well run club, nobody pockets money to "pay for their hobby" or otherwise. This is the way most clubs operate . !!
    Stay cool Ken. I'm not pointing the finger at anyone here.
    BUT
    Elitism puts off new entrants to a club, and some members leave. This leaves the "more competitive" ones, and "distils" the competitive streak within the club. The club gets more competitive.
    Soon "easy going fun RCer" beginners don't even have to join to see if they will like it, They can tell before joining. No harm. The races will be more interesting as a result.
    But don't complain that not enough people join . Some people just decided they didn't like the scene, thats all. The club is smaller.
    Like I said, look at successful clubs, like the schools sports teams. Competitive .. yes. Exclusive...definitely not. There is a junior league for every ability level. Education and encouragement is where you get your new members.
    But if the race winner is put in charge, forget it.
    He needs a league class for his own car make, with tyre restrictions, fuel testing, and so on.
    If he has moved up into technology he can barely afford, he will have to sell his used stuff on to people below him in the club pyramid to finance the new stuff.
    The 2nd and 3rd guys have to do the same to keep up. Everyone becomes a salesman for used gear. Next thing beginners have high compression engines they can't start or tune, a broken part costs them a small fortune, and it's a limited production version that has to ordered from the other side of the planet.
    Like I said - its clear to me why the old club dried up from your own earlier comments. I'll bet it just got too serious, too much trouble/hassle, and the fun went out of it, then attendences slid downhill....
    But if a new club is being formed. The club can be setup in such a way so that doesnt happen. That's why a football club has a coach for the team, but a president to keep the coach under control and fire him when things go too far.
    This reply is twice the length it should be ... .but you sort of asked me to elaborate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I totally agree with Ken A, I know this guy ( Hi Ken.I bought your Millennium Pro ;) )and know how long he has been involved in this game... I also with a few buddies have tried to get a club up and running with a weekly meeting. Currently we use an indoor tarmac premises ( which is disgrasefully dusty :mad: )... and we find that out of nearly 20 guys only 6-7 turn up diligently. As for collecting funds.... What a waste of time.. All sorts of excuses... Hall is cheap... €20 for 2 hours.... We have to have our own insurance.. None of us are up to racing standards so we make a long oval track and generally mess about for practice.... Getting back to what Ken A said.... IT GETS BORING...!!! with no timing gear.... ( is that gear up for sale Ken ?.... So for my opinion on this... Do not scathe Ken when he tries to explain the complications involved in this.... We started out as carpark bashers with basic cars... That novelty wore off quickly and we progressed to more expensive equipment...... For what I ask myself ?? it only becomes a more expensive bash... :(

Maybe if some of you guys want to call to us somenight we charge €10 per month Upfront ( 4 nights even if you do not turn up for 2 or 3 of those nights it is due every 4 weeks) We are contemplating reducing this to €5 and only running twice in the 4 week period, We also chip in €20 per man to go towards insurance.
    Anyone interested can contact us (ME as I am left with the job of all this)

vectra14@hotmail.com

or.
    I put up a little forum so as we could keep in touch,( doesnt get used much but reg and post if you wish. I normally check daily for new posts etc.)
    FMCC

I forgot to mention... We only run ELECTRIC as Nitros are not allowed indoors for insurance purposes. ;)

vectra wrote:
    ... Do not scathe Ken when he tries to explain the complications involved in this....
    Not scathing, actually I sympathise with Ken. He tried to organise people who were less committed than he is ...
    vectra wrote:
    ...We started out as carpark bashers with basic cars... That novelty wore off quickly and we progressed to more expensive equipment...... For what I ask myself ?? it only becomes a more expensive bash... :( ....
    My point exactly. A club can move away from what its members really want, because it's leaders are more driven than the members.

• Advertisement

Coolwings...you have some good points. I've just about scratched the surface with what I've seen over the years. I suppose we'll have to agree to differ on some of them ! I dont want to get into debates over these issues.

How's it going Vectra ?? Hope all is well in fermoy.

Ken A
    Good luck with the club . Coolwings

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Ken A wrote:
    How's it going Vectra ?? Hope all is well in fermoy.
    Keeping between the ditches :D
    Did you move house yet ? All setled in now I hope ;)

Anyone want to go nitro RC bashing over the weekend in cork?

Me and a couple buddies will be heading down to the ferry port in ringaskiddy for a bash on sunday!

All welcome to turn up and start bashing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Ken A wrote:
    I dont want to get into debates over these issues.

Pity, it was just getting interesting :)

Someday I'll come home to see a 4 page battle of knowledge between two or more members, someday....

Fobia.

• Advertisement

coolwings wrote:
    Ken A
    Good luck with the club . Coolwings

Ermm...there is no club coolwings !!! And I'm no the one thats pondering on getting it going again ...remember ??

Thanks anyway!

vectra wrote:
    Keeping between the ditches :D
    Did you move house yet ? All setled in now I hope ;)

Actually we didnt Eugene!! It's still on the cards but we're waiting on the crowd who we're buying the house off to move out. They are building and are haveing hassle with the builders...the move is put back till September......ah well !!

BTW...that transponder system could be for sale !! (If ur interested give me a buzz or e-mail ).

Aaah, Ken A , you have the transponders .... and if the other guys have the enthusiaism ....
    The only remaining difficult question is ... is there anyone nearby willing to be a club secretary ?
    :D:D:D

Fobia wrote:
    Pity, it was just getting interesting :)

Someday I'll come home to see a 4 page battle of knowledge between two or more members, someday....

Fobia.

TBH there's not much point..As far as I can see there's only one other guy here besides me that has experience in running clubs, and racing as well at competition level, and he's keeping very quiet !!!!

Most points that were brought up by members here were typical of people who dont have a whole lot of knowledge on racing or running clubs...thats the way it looks to me.

coolwings wrote:
    Aaah, Ken A , you have the transponders .... and if the other guys have the enthusiaism ....
    The only remaining difficult question is ... is there anyone nearby willing to be a club secretary ?
    :D:D:D

I WAS !!!

BTW>>I never said I have the transponders !!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭CHUCKLEZ

Do the CCRC get there funds back when u sell the transponder system or do it go to ur pocket. As u said in the other post the CCRC own a bit off it.

Ken A wrote:
    BTW...that transponder system could be for sale !! (If ur interested give me a buzz or e-mail ).
    Ken A wrote:
    ...BTW>>I never said I have the transponders !!! :D

? ? ?

coolwings wrote:
    ? ? ?

Ahh ! But I know where it is !! And just to clear things up...I dont own any part of it so that question needs to be retracted !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 WebDesignCork

Sorry lads haven't check out forum in about a week - JESUS all I want to do is get one day out racing!!! :confused:

Whats all the debate about!! Ken I spoke to Noel and he agreed he help and agreed to loan the transponder system - I'm also looking into other halls just in case we can't get around the insurance problem and also checking if a disclaimer would do for just one day meet.

I didn't mention I wanted to start up the club again (yet) just want to see how much interest there is.

I also nearly have a sponsor off €100 for the race meeting and I have a PC ready at home for the software if its still available!

If there is another debate starting email me so I can join in john@webdesigncork.com

Hope to have more updates on my progress soon
    Regards
    John

- just trying to get out of the house some Sunday for a brake & a bit of fun

My name is John and I'm organising a 10th scale electric car race meeting in a couple of weeks in Mayfield sports complex in Cork (indoor). Would you be interested in attending?? I used be the Chairman for the Cork Radio Car Club a while back and I want to start up the club again.

Before anybody checks I did say I wanted to start up the club again but there is no point trying to start it up if there is nobody interested. You have to read between the lines

• Advertisement

Well Me slim And another few are going out 2morro its the Ferryport car park in ringaskiddy its suitable for electric nitro and monster trucks it has a Flat car park and a few ramps and drop offs around the monument for off roaders.

What time?

will post a time in bout 20 mins as i will have to confirm a time with the lads.

Just rang them we should hopefully be in ringaskiddy for half 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Ken A wrote:
    TBH there's not much point..As far as I can see there's only one other guy here besides me that has experience in running clubs, and racing as well at competition level, and he's keeping very quiet !!!!

Most points that were brought up by members here were typical of people who dont have a whole lot of knowledge on racing or running clubs...thats the way it looks to me.

I presume you're talking about MickB, but you're making the quite stupid mistake of assuming the people behind the nicknames are who you think they are. I'll admit that my experience with running clubs is in RC flying rather than cars, but others who have posted on this thread.....well I'll let them speak for themselves if they want to.

You're still new here, and as you will experience as time goes by, you can't judge someone's life by a few posts on the internet :)

Fobia.

Fobia wrote:
    I presume you're talking about MickB, but you're making the quite stupid mistake of assuming the people behind the nicknames are who you think they are. I'll admit that my experience with running clubs is in RC flying rather than cars, but others who have posted on this thread.....well I'll let them speak for themselves if they want to.

You're still new here, and as you will experience as time goes by, you can't judge someone's life by a few posts on the internet :)

Fobia.

I'm going on the stupid comments that were thrown at me !

Ken A wrote:
    TBH there's not much point..As far as I can see there's only one other guy here besides me that has experience in running clubs, !!!!

Ok...maybe that wasnt a fair comment to make....but I did mean model car clubs and not any other form of clubs.

Ken A wrote:
    ....but I did mean model car clubs and not any other form of clubs.
    To anyone thinking of running a model club....
    One difficulty that is front of anyone trying to organise a club is how do you cover the costs. It was always a problem. Then negligence and damages lawsuits went mad, and the insurance doubled and trebled as a result.
    By now costs are so high that it is almost impossible to make any club self financing in this country.
    So to spread out the costs, you need lots of members or else the fees are going to be too much €€€ and nobody will join. But its model cars here, not GAA, or swimming, (that anyone can do). Not many are mechanically able for the maintenance of an RC car. I guess half of 1% of the population can cope in our hobby.
    Now KenA said and Vectra more or less agreed that the last effort slowly dwindled down in size until people ran out of motivation to do the work involved.. I have seen this happen a few times before. It's demoralising for those involved, if only one or two turn up.
    I pointed out some of the key problems in any specialist club that stop it succeeding. Example: a racing only car club suits fewer people than a club that has both league and fun racing. And other problems too.
    If this new attempt is done the same way as the last attempt, the result this time will be the same as last time.
    But what happens...the folks from the old club take insult for being subject to criticism, because they know they worked hard at the club.
    My comments are not an attack on anyone who was involved in the last club , not at all. I don't know these guys.
    Rather, it's an attempt to review the lessons from what they achieved (and failed to achieve), and also other clubs I was in, so a new club might be more likely to succeed.
    It's quite simple, in all model clubs, the competition guys ruin it for the fun guys, and the fun guys are not serious enough for competition. High tech racing models raise the cost for all.
    However a club needs both crowds to achieve minimum size. For example, with the bills that a model plane club has to pay, it is difficult to keep going with less than about a dozen regulars, and maybe another 4-5 time-to-time members. Even then it is still better with a few more.
    If a new club is being set up, two venues, or alternative times can be planned for easily, and the club wins. It may not be convenient , but it's more likely to result in a club still being in existance 12 months from now.

I couldnt agree with you more.Well said Coolwings !! That was a good spiel !

• Advertisement

Heading to ringaskiddy in about an hour, Like i said b4, all welcome to come along, meet up and BASH for fun!!

Advertisement