Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrap Fair city

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

Cris Jones wrote: »
    I don't agree, Elmo..."soap is done in such away you always get characters mixed up"...what I and maybe other posters were saying was that Crochet was posting about something that he knew nothing about at all...and what does he want to do that for...why does he not post about something that he knows about...DeiseTom seems like a genuine and friendly poster to me...

I'm sorry for now being more knowlegable on FC

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Cris Jones

Cookie89 wrote: »
    Heather :)

Who is now married to the Doctor and have a little girl ellen who is Ben's half sister.

The little girl's character name is Eleanor.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The character Ben is a little boy.:(

Yeah when he is older and finds out his girlfriend Eleanor is his step-sister.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

...DeiseTom seems like a genuine and friendly...

My head is swelling.

Elmo wrote: »
    Yeah when he is older and finds out his girlfriend Eleanor is his step-sister.

They share the same father so she isn't his step-sister.

• Advertisement

They share the same father so she isn't his step-sister.

Well you could have told me that when I was talking about Floyd's Step sister who is his half sister :rolleyes:

Yeah when he is older and finds out his girlfriend Eleanor is his half-sister. :eek:

Well you could have told me that when I was talking about Floyd's Step sister who is his half sister :rolleyes:

Yeah when he is older and finds out his girlfriend Eleanor is his half-sister. :eek:

No, no..;):D ...it is up to you to understand what you are talking about...:D...not my job...

No, no..;):D ...it is up to you to understand what you are talking about...:D...not my job...

Well you see and they you start on people no wonder your looking like the Good person :D Sorry I thought that was from DeiseTom.

In response to Cris Jones you haven't got anything right so far :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 EDIROL

Does anyone think there's gonna be war between sext lad Ian and Robert the uptight one, now they're flatmates? Cant wait to see how it pans out!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭SOUTH PAW

EDIROL wrote: »
    Does anyone think there's gonna be war between sext lad Ian and Robert the uptight one, now they're flatmates? Cant wait to see how it pans out!;)

Think u should move ur question to the "Fair City" thread;)

but to answer you here...... with a bit of luck Ian won't be in it long enough, imo terrible actor ( pause as I stand a cross my arms:D) and moving in with Robert will really show him up as I think the guy who plays Robert is very good, plus never in my life have I seen a male guard in a uniform with hair that long, I don't think their allowed.

• Advertisement

SOUTH PAW wrote: »
    Think u should move ur question to the "Fair City" thread;)

but to answer you here...... with a bit of luck Ian won't be in it long enough, imo terrible actor ( pause as I stand a cross my arms:D) and moving in with Robert will really show him up as I think the guy who plays Robert is very good, plus never in my life have I seen a male guard in a uniform with hair that long, I don't think their allowed.

I wonder if Orla does not move out, which of the two lads will get her into bed first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Deise Tom wrote: »
    I wonder if Orla does not move out, which of the two lads will get her into bed first.

I would go with neither. Robert is dating Cleo so it really only leaves Ian... and that is doubtful...

angel01 wrote: »
    I would go with neither. Robert is dating Cleo so it really only leaves Ian... and that is doubtful...

to be honest neither would 1. Orla however, different matter.

Deise Tom wrote: »
    to be honest neither would 1. Orla however, different matter.

If you want to chat about the show, the other fair city thread is better :)

If you want to chat about the show, the other fair city thread is better :)

Generally any thread that starts of as an anti-whatever programme thread ends up being more pro the programme than they initially thought it would become. e.g. my Big Bang Theory thread :( now filled with pro-TBBH people :(

Haven't watch any soap in a few years TBH. And TBH I do think most should be scrapped, mainly due to number of years they are on the air, 50 is too many.

However tonight I watch Fair City in full for the first time in 10 years.

Like any soap it has its pit falls. The current set of gaurds in the show, the dectective isn't too bad but the Ban-garda (yes I am being sexist on purpose) is a bit too much of a ban-garda and I was waiting for her to start sing "Some day I be big and then I will be a ban-garda" at the end of the show. :(

And like any soap it has some strong storylines and even some strong actors. Orla's character is getting to the brink of homelessness and she is homeless since she is now sleeping in her cousin's office (Niamh). Tonights ending was brilliant as the closing shot had her crying in the middle of this empty office, queue theme tune.

And like any soap it has its over the top storylines AKA the american biker/social worker who is getting the solicitor back on the drink while trying to get money out of her ex-lover (classic soap TBH).

And like any soap it has its old foggies in Charlie and Bella, who are now at war with each other due to Bella's renting of Charlie's house.

What is interesting about Fair City is how close to reality it is in some ways even in the OTT storylines: -

1. Controlling husband and Alcoholic wife
    2. Orla's fall from the Celtic Tiger sky
    3. And charlie looking to sell his house at a time when it isn't worth his while

Over all both Niamh and Orla are really doing a good job with their characters, especially tonight.

You will get to see tonights episode here if you are interested in seeing what I am talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

Interesting post, Elmo. Did you ever watch it regularly? The general feeling seems to be that it is going through a very good period at the moment, though it may never hit the heights of the Billy Meehan period.

I try to keep in touch with all the soaps. Fair City is by far the leader of the pack right now. Some of that is down to how bad the opposition is, however. Coronation Street is a continual disappointment for anyone who remembers the golden years. Eastenders is just silly.

It will be interesting to see how Fair City compares to The Clinic in the ratings. RTE is definitely pushing The Clinic harder, and it obviously has a much bigger budget. I wonder if that will translate into viewing figures.

If it does, maybe they'll think of making The Clinic year-round as well.

It will be interesting to see how Fair City compares to The Clinic in the ratings. RTE is definitely pushing The Clinic harder, and it obviously has a much bigger budget. I wonder if that will translate into viewing figures.

If it does, maybe they'll think of making The Clinic year-round as well.

I do think the clinic should have more episodes and I do like it as a series, but even after 7 years it is getting old just from a serial point of view, I think the current series is so far the best.

But the problem as I have pointed out with soap is that it sucks up allot of the drama departments budgets regardless of organisation. Look at ITV they have their drama budget across 5 soap operas that have each being running for at least 10 years and during this decade ITV have try to force several new soaps on its audience e.g. Crossroads and The Royal Today (what was their night time soap called).

RTÉ have to push The Clinic more than either Fair City or EastEnders as it is only a 10 parter and as a Drama it has a bigger budget then Fair City.

As for watching Fair City regularly I grew up with Coronation Street, Fair City and Home and Away and they were really the only 3 that I can stand, however I have to agree that I have been turned off by Coronation Street in the last number of years. (Oh! and don't forget Glenroe too)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

As for watching Fair City regularly I grew up with Coronation Street, Fair City and Home and Away and they were really the only 3 that I can stand, however I have to agree that I have been turned off by Coronation Street in the last number of years. (Oh! and don't forget Glenroe too)

Glenroe is good evidence for your argument, now that you mention it. If ever a show went on three years too long, that was it.

The budget issue is an interesting one. I'd like to know more about it. Some of the appeal of a soap opera from the company perspective must be that the costs are low, or at least one-off. Once you have built the sets, you own them. They're sitting right there in the company's grounds, so you don't have any travel expenses, or overtime, and nothing unpredictable can happen.

The start-up costs must be huge, however, and I guess that's why the companies persist with older soaps rather than inventing new ones. Imagine having to build Albert Square again from scratch, in the current climate. They wouldn't be allowed.

Start up costs are the main thing and Fair City started off quite well for RTÉ which caused them to invest in a on-site set for the soap, it was filmed in an estate in south county Dublin to begin with. Hence when they had built the expensive on-site set it was a bit difficult for them to turn around and axe the show.

Glenroe, The Riordans and Braken were all shot on location for the outside shots. RTÉ actually pioneered the use of Outside cameras for TV soaps.

• Advertisement

Nice to see Elmo admitting that he hadn't actually watched the soap "Fair City" in a long while .... while saying that I knew nothing about the soap ... "in response to cris jones you haven't got anything right so far" were the words he or she used.

Nice to see Elmo admitting that he hadn't actually watched the soap "Fair City" in a long while .... while saying that I knew nothing about the soap ... "in response to cris jones you haven't got anything right so far" were the words he or she used.

No I think Cris you will find that I was the person defending you, it was Deise Tom who said that and I confused you with Deise Tom when I was defending you. Our own little soap on boards. :)

No I think Cris you will find that I was the person defending you, it was Deise Tom who said that and I confused you with Deise Tom when I was defending you. Our own little soap on boards. :)

Elmo...you really need to read before you post.

Elmo...you really need to read before you post.
    :confused:
    in response to cris jones you haven't got anything right so far" were the words he or she used.

You talking to me?

Worth a second submit press.

Worth a second submit press.

I didn't ever say that and I also mentioned it a long time ago that I am not a regular viewer of Fair City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Kolya

Haven't bothered watching it in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Kormeera X

I think fair city is great.:)
    the actors and actress' are good
    and the storylines dont drag on as
    long as dem english soaps! hate them
    things!:mad: fair city is the best! AND its irish!!
    NOT ENGLISH!:mad::mad::eek: thank god for that!
    the storylines do be great too.:D

Kormeera X wrote: »
    I think fair city is great.:)
    the actors and actress' are good
    and the storylines dont drag on as
    long as dem english soaps! hate them
    things!:mad: fair city is the best! AND its irish!!
    NOT ENGLISH!:mad::mad::eek: thank god for that!
    the storylines do be great too.:D

You would be better off posting in the bigger fair city thread :)

• Advertisement

You would be better off posting in the bigger fair city thread :)

I think that message was sarcastic.

Advertisement