Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrap Fair city

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Elmo wrote:
    It is suprising how good they are on the stage. Stage like Radio doesn't translate to TV.
    I'm sure if ya take a look at the majority of actors out there,they have all started on stage. I bet if you look at Colin Farrels CV he started out on stage, before getting Bally K and soon afterward hi-tailing it to Hollywood (one of the lucky one by the way).

I myself am no stranger too the stage, have been in a few pantomimes and have performed in a short play call "Riders to the sea" by Millungton Signe (sp?). All with amatuer groups of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

All i have to say is what were the casting directors thinking when they hired Kurt the footballer's ma and da? they look like his brother and sister ffs!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Elmo wrote:
    Stage like Radio doesn't translate to TV.

This is usually because most actors here are trained as stage actors. When an actor is on stage they have to project their performance to the very last row. They aren't just performing they are also sending that performance out to the audience. This tends to mean over-acting, facial expressions need to be over-emphasised, a quiet look of defeat won't be picked up by the audience. And everything needs to be spelt out and underlined, if an actor rolls their eyes at something that will show on screen but on stage they need to roll the eyes, move the head and body to really shove it home.

When someone acts on tv or film the only objective is to act. The only people who need to pick up their performance are the other actors in the scene whose characters are interacting with their character. It is the job of the cameramen/women to pick up the performance and the job of the editors to bring it to the audience. (It's more complicated than that, but that's the basics).

An actor can be fantastic on both stage and on tv/film. Ian McKellan, for example, is widely regarded on both. Or they can be great on one and awful on the other. It is a matter of training/talent.

In this country the reason there is so much awful acting is down to 3 things;

1. The training is almost exclusively stage based. The actors are told to project and exagerate every movement and emotion.

2. The actors can't be the smartest or must have huge ego's, because they don't seem to be able to look at their performances and realise it isn't working and change it.

3. The directors don't have the right kind of ego to make it work. Any decent American actor faced with a stage trained cast would tell them stop over-acting or they'd be replaced. And they wouldn't be happy until they get it right. Here there isn't the same push for excellence. Movies are often described as ok, but great for an Irish movie.

(oh and the sh**ty writing doesn't help matters either).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

(oh and the sh**ty writing doesn't help matters either).

Well this is down to RTE's lack of investment in the show.

Since they only have a few writers, about 10 I could be wrong.

Sometimes they get it right but I haven't seen it in a while.

I think they should bring in guess writers every month to give someone a start in the industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Ah fair citys not the worst in fairness though!

• Advertisement

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Ah fair citys not the worst in fairness though!
    Agree with ya there hun, alot worse thing one could watch.

But I do have to agree with Bonzai Bob's comment, Kurts parents do look a bit young ok, Kurt is meant to be about what.... 15? And they would be in there 30's, assumably late 30's, just means they married young! I donno!!!

I suppose the parents could pass for 32 like they had him when they were 17 , its good to have an Irish soap that has a good lot of viewers , a lot of people slag it but its on 4 times a week because people like it .
    At leat theres not balling every night like that bloody corrie at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

a lot of people slag it but its on 4 times a week because people like it

I don't think its great that any show should go out 4 times a week 52 weeks of the year, just because people watch it.

Lets face it most people can get a hundred or so TV channels, and have a phenomonal amount of choice yet we still watch the soaps.

I wish Irish TV and British TV could be more like American TV. If a show is lossing viewers axe it and come up with something new and orginal.

Fair enough there are many american show that only last one series because of this policy but for older shows its a god send so that they can finish on a high before becoming old and tired.

I mean EastEnders would be of the Air in america if it had lost the amount of viewers it lost.

I think the viewer would have more choice if we had someone with the inspiration to film different shows, so that the viewer can have variaty rather then choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭brendor

None of ye can spell the footballer's name properly - its Kuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrt. For the first two weeks I thought Kuuurrrrt was the husband and the other guy the son.

Squinty ken and freaky geraldine's love triangle with grey pudgy mike is the most clumsy, atrociously acted "plot" line i have ever seen. It is worth the licence fee alone.

KUUUUURRRRTT FOR UNITED

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

the actors are trained though.i know someone who has been training for years to act and he has gotten a v small part in it. They get their background ppl / actors from www.movieerxtras.ie

No wonder theres no movies made in ireland imagine mike of fair city in william wallace lol or jimmy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭guest31

Fair City is brilliant !! I dunno what you're all on, but this soap goes from strength to strength. Okay so some of the new characters are a bit rusty at first, but give them a while to settle ... eg. Jenny really came into her own and shoed up the likes of Ross who was and still is crap (can't believe he's gone to L.A, good luck!)

Other characters who continue to entertain ..

Ray
    Lana
    Nicola (class act)
    Bela
    Niamh

The worst actors are ...

Harry and the Dolores (thank God they're gone, hopefully for good)
    Frank
    Robyn
    Leo (although it wooden be the same without him)
    Mondo's boss .. he's ****e

I think it's great to have a decent Irish soap and would rate it up there with Corrie .. :):)

guest31 wrote:
    Fair City is brilliant !! I dunno what you're all on, but this soap goes from strength to strength. Okay so some of the new characters are a bit rusty at first, but give them a while to settle ... eg. Jenny really came into her own and shoed up the likes of Ross who was and still is crap (can't believe he's gone to L.A, good luck!)

Other characters who continue to entertain ..

Ray
    Lana
    Nicola (class act)
    Bela
    Niamh

The worst actors are ...

Harry and the Dolores (thank God they're gone, hopefully for good)
    Frank
    Robyn
    Mondo's boss .. he's ****e

I think it's great to have a decent Irish soap and would rate it up there with Corrie .. :):)

I totally agree , although I think Lana`s a complete eegit , but yea fair city is a good soap and at the minute , Its a hell of a lot better than corrie , .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Noooo!!

I can't believe what I'm reading, doth my eyes deceive me!! :eek:

Fair City sucks, it's nothing compared to Corrie. It's total trash. Even though I tend to watch it, it still drives me nuts!

have to say Corrie is far better, but the worst sopa of em all has to be Emmerdale. I can't stand that show. And the whole Paddy and Viv story is probably the worst they ever came up with.

Robin is one annoyin c*nt, somebody kill her please.

No way all the balling and moaning in Corrie lately , the most interesting story line is Fred falling down a hole in Audreys lawn and Martin everynight with that bloody head on him, at least fair city mix up the story lines a little not the same moany bitches balling every bloody night :rolleyes:

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    No way all the balling and moaning in Corrie lately , the most interesting story line is Fred falling down a hole in Audreys lawn and Martin everynight with that bloody head on him, at least fair city mix up the story lines a little not the same moany bitches balling every bloody night :rolleyes:
    Thats a fair point!

I just think at the minute fair city is better than that Corrie , its gone so boring like!

We will take all points of view but in my opinion fair city is pure rubbish i cannot believe my ears people saying fair city is better than corrie yeah right...the only time i taught fair city was good was when they had billy Intimating people.

johnnyc wrote:
    We will take all points of view but in my opinion fair city is pure rubbish i cannot believe my ears people saying fair city is better than corrie yeah right...the only time i taught fair city was good was when they had billy Intimating people.
    Oh man, Billy Meehan, was one evil bast@rd. Pitty they can't have a character like him in it again. He had people glued to the TV every week just cos he was such a swine.

I can't stand Ken! He's the biggest plonk on the planet!

He's so stupid and ignorant and such a waste of space. My god, why doesn't Geraldine just hit him over the head with a shovel or something and knock the guy unconscious for a few episodes!

I mean, didn't he cheat on her constantly, even before they were married? And now that they are separated, he goes nuts coz she has a new man in her life. Oh he's such a retardo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Esel

guest31 wrote:
    The worst actors are ...

Nice (unintentional?) slag there!

I heard that Leo has been ordered to keep his hands in his pockets because he waves them around too much. Watch out for it....

Not your ornery onager

ok i would like to know what would people do to make fair city a better or<<watchable show>> any sugesstions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭golfgirl

Hi,

I'm a fair city fan, and proud of it .. actually loads of my friends are too, we have a laugh about the characters and the good & bad actors !

I think it's a bit unfair tho, there are loads of good looking girls on the show .. the doctor's wife, lana, robyn, but the lads are mingers!

Ross was supposed to be the big ride, yeuch ..
    Paul ... hunky .. I think not ..
    Jimmy .. sweet but hardly sexy ..
    Mondo .. puttin on pounds and the hair .. calm down boyo ..
    Mike .. eh, no .. no no no no no no no ..

the only one worth checkin out was Floyd and now he's gone, and there was a cute boyfriend of Suzanne a few weeks back, but now HE's gone too.

Come on, Fair City, get some hotties on the show .. :p:p

Thats pretty true actually , I dont think theres even one decent looking guy on that show.

Jimmys about the best of a bad lot I think.

And tonight's rant shall be about ... Robin.

Oh my god, this stupid story with her is so so so so sooooo irritating, would they get rid of her already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Yeh she is tres annoying. I thought it was hilarious tho when Jimmy was drunk.

Im getting sick of these fake pregnancy storylines already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I've a feeling that the next one will probably be in eastenders and it will be ruby or stacey

I thought that tina one would resort to it to get johnny to introduce her , jeez all these negative tests just left lying around an no1 notices em. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

open_book wrote:
    . kurt the new kid, his oul lad, his oul one(all though she is gorgeous and previous to fair city was a better actress for some reason)

The actress who playes Kurt's mother, Claire is seriously sexy. Possibly the most attractive person I have seen on Irish television in a long time.

The main problem I have with Fair City is the way in which they change the actors.

The following have all had at least two actors/actresses playing their part

Mags Kelly
    Kay McCoy
    Noeleen McCoy
    Jimmy Doyle
    Darren Doyle
    Yvonne Doyle
    Dolores Molloy
    Wayne Molloy
    Farrah Phelan (Three separate actresses)

I'm sure I'll think of more

Advertisement