Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quinn Direct Online quotes

Options
  • 13-04-2005 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Just trying out a few quotes with Quinn online quoting thingy and Im getting some excellent prices.

Im a 20 year old male with a first provisional and no experience (well, I currently working towards my first year NCB but I aint got it yet).

94 Golf 1.4 CL - €3,108

94 Civic 1.3 H/B - €3,667

94 Civic 1.5 LSi Saloon (The car Im currently driving and insured with Quinn for at €3,750 or somthing) - € 3,457

They're feckin excellent.

Does anyone know what'd happen if I rang Quinn and told em about the cheaper quote for my car that I got?
    Would they put me straight onto that price? Or even refund me somthing??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

when you fill in your details tell them you are 'married' its cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

€3,125 on a 316i SE 1994

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

when you fill in your details tell them you are 'married' its cheaper
    Don't get married though. There's nothing cheap about that.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

What if you were not married and you had an accident (and you told them getting the policy you were). Could they screw you?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just goes to show what a shafting we've come to accept. 3 quotes, all over €3,000 and they're being called "excellent".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

DukeDredd wrote:
    What if you were not married and you had an accident (and you told them getting the policy you were). Could they screw you?

yep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

seamus wrote:
    Just goes to show what a shafting we've come to accept. 3 quotes, all over €3,000 and they're being called "excellent".

It's an absolute scandal when you nearly have to give them the value of the vehicle as cover!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

De Hipster wrote:
    It's an absolute scandal when you nearly have to give them the value of the vehicle as cover!
    Ahh but it's not the value of the Bentley you run into!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

DukeDredd wrote:

Non Disclosure matey. I got some nice quotes from www.bestquote.ie recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

holy ****, i got quoted 1700 on a 1.2, 1yrs NCB on a Prov licence! That's pretty damn good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

My first quote on a provisional in a '94 1.3i cooper was €1300, I thought that was a scandal!

€3000 for insurance is ridiculous.
    Ahh but it's not the value of the Bentley you run into!

Nor is the €550 I pay now!

Dont get me wrong lads, its all still robbery,but it has to be paid (at least until I get the full licence and some NCB).

Can anyone answer my question above?
    Dont wanna ring down south from up here unless its gonna be worth it.

• Site Banned Posts: 159 ✭✭Drummer

They are scandalous prices lads.

Why should a lad of say 25 with no prev experience and a man of 50 with the same record pay such different prices ?

Similar with male to female ?

They are both starting on the same level.

The trouble is, we are condition here to assume that prices under 5000euro are cheap, cos they are have been so high for years.

I recently got a TPO quote for my 400cc motorbike and was quoted 1900euro in Dublin. Then under the same conditions, i was quoted 135euro in Amsterdam. There is something seriously wrong there. Boycott insurance companies, thats what i say.

By the way, i used to work as an insurance broker -- when they ask your occupation, tell them you are clerical staff, i.e. office worker. Do not waiver from this, dont even say that you use your car for meetings or anything. You drive to work and drive home, end of story.

If you can use a country address, do so. If you are involved in an accident in Dublin, simply say you were visiting family ! It worked for me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

AB03 wrote:
    <snip>
    94 Golf 1.4 CL - €3,108

94 Civic 1.3 H/B - €3,667

94 Civic 1.5 LSi Saloon (The car Im currently driving and insured with Quinn for at €3,750 or somthing) - € 3,457

They're feckin excellent.
    </snip>
    Cop on!
    They are not excellent. They are extortionate prices and as long as muppets convince themselves that they need a car and are willing to pay for quotes like this then it will continue [if not increase]!
    DukeDredd wrote:
    Could they screw you?
    In my own experience Quinn don't need an excuse to screw you!

They are not excellent. They are extortionate prices and as long as muppets convince themselves that they need a car and are willing to pay for quotes like this then it will continue [if not increase]!

Are you calling me a muppet?

We 'muppets' pay these extortionate prices because we dont want to break the law, but SOME OF US DO NEED A F**KING CAR.

Come to think of it, the ****in cheek of you. How dare you call me a muppet when the whole reason this thread even exists for you to reply to is because Im trying to inform other unfortunate people like me WHO ARE FORCED to pay ridiculous insurance premiums that there seems to be a new cheapest player out there.
    Before this Ive been getting quotes of in or around 4-4.5 and so have a lot of young people like me. This saving of a grand or more is welcome, but prices are still no better than robbery.
    Im trying to help fellow 'muppets' here, so leave your ****in opinions at home please.

hmmm - I seem to have accidentally hit a nerve!
    Anyway, you think that you 'need' a car - why? Does paying the best part of 10 grand a year to keep this going justify itself?

As was nicely illustrated in the thread on provisional drivers, nobody 'needs' a car, we could all just as easily bus and walk everywhere,but as far as Im concerned, the costs involved do outweigh the negative aspects.Ive just moved to a completely remote part of west dublin and every single person I know and associate with lives around D1/D2 and D4. Luckily for me I just got a new job which is a 3 minute drive/20 minute walk from my apartment, but when I bought the car, it was also nescessary for work.
    Where I live now, a car is nescessary for going to the shop, such is the distance of the apartment complex from anywhere inhabited.
    So short answer, yeah its not only worth the money, its nescessary (but I dont know where yer getting yer 10 grand a year from, ive worked it out at approx. €6k/year with current insurance,petrol,tax and whatever else).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

kbannon wrote:
    Cop on!
    They are not excellent. They are extortionate prices and as long as muppets convince themselves that they need a car and are willing to pay for quotes like this then it will continue [if not increase]

Whats your problem with the guy getting a car, if he has the money and wants a car then he cant exactly tell them im not paying you that its too much. The muppet comment is uncalled for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

quinn gave me the best quote this time round!! 1.6 primera, im 25 years old. I have 7 years NCB :D:D Full licence of course (first time :D).
    Anyway Axa wanted best part of a grand off me, €950 or so, €1100 with all the extra crap!!! Quinn gave me (without extra crap) €712!!!!

When i called Axa to get my NCB proof sent to me he tried to get me to stay with them... said how does €900 sound? this is AFTER i told him im getting for €712 with Quinn.. what a muppet :D:D

Moral is shop around. I was always with Axa then hibernian gave me a quote €600 cheaper a few years back, then the next year Axa were €270 cheaper and this year Quinn is €240 or so cheaper

Kristok wrote:
    Whats your problem with the guy getting a car, if he has the money and wants a car then he cant exactly tell them im not paying you that its too much. The muppet comment is uncalled for.
    I have no problem with him getting a car. However, I stand by my comment that someone who thinks paying 3 1/2 grand on insurance (and then claims that it is "feckin excellent") is a muppet. By paying that you are voluntarily removing your trousers and y-fronts, leaning over a barrell, and asking the companies to do their best!
    Now, as AB03 mentioned, it may be a necessity for work, in which case the policy will rise even higher but your work should pay a considerable amount towards the policy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

yea 3 and a half grand is allot for insurance but what can he do, if its the cheapest quote he can get (and i paid 5000 in my first year) then it is great. If he had a choice id agree with ya but whats he to do, he needs it for whatever reason but unless its a company car your job wont help ya out.

If you where told your insurance is gone up would you tell them fine im not going to drive ?!? I know i wouldnt id have to pay it my car has made my quality of living a whole lot better and unless i couldnt afford it i simply just have to pay whatever they demand.

Thank you Kristok, you said it all.

I agree with Kbannon in saying that even though we think these are great prices, they are still daylight robbery, however calling him a muppet is a bit OTT, after getting my quote of 1700 on quinn, i went to a couple of sites who proceeded to quote me 4000, which is more than i paid for my first year:rolleyes:

Kristok wrote:
    If he had a choice id agree with ya but whats he to do, he needs it for whatever reason but unless its a company car your job wont help ya out.
    by that logic then the OP should claim mileage back from their taxes if the employer won't help (doesn't say much for the job if the employer wants the employee to use their car but won't assist in its running).
    Either way though the work use needs to be declared to the insurance company
    Kristok wrote:
    If you where told your insurance is gone up would you tell them fine im not going to drive ?!? I know i wouldnt id have to pay it my car has made my quality of living a whole lot better and unless i couldnt afford it i simply just have to pay whatever they demand.
    Im not sure what the first sentence is trying to say but you made the choice to get a car and insure it. You do have other options (despite what others may say) - you could get lifts, taxis, cycle, walk, bus, train, fly or whatever.

Im not happy paying what I currently pay but I make the choice to pay it. I should be paying about 1/3 or 1/2 of what Im paying now but because I'm a lazy bastárd, like my car, dislike public transport, etc. I pay it. However, i don't go onto a public forum all excited and think that the thought of paying 4 times what I currently pay is fecking great!

Also, I did not refer to one individual in particular as a muppet - read my post carefully!
    I am reminded of a strike for an increase in wages in Aer Rianta a few years ago where some young fella was interviewed by RTE. Within the interview he claimed that he was only earning £5000 per annum. However this muppet also said how he had no money because he had to spend something like £4000 on his insurance! He, too, believed he needed his car!

Well personally i DO need my car to get to work, i live on southside and work on the north side and i leave before the buses start..

I would cycle but that would literally kill me at my current fitness, and taxis would work out a lot dearer than insurance in the long run.

However i am considering getting a job closer to home and cycling to work as i don't like paying this kind of money any more than you do.. but there are some who don't have a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I did my test in the north and am subsequently buying an insuring a car up there (cheaper and all).

Anyway got a quote on a 1.4s Golf, brand new from the AA, norwich Union and a few others. All where over 3500 sterling. That quickly put an end to my ideas about the golf. So I checked how much the insurance would be on my 5 year old corsa. Remembering I have a full license now and have been insured for over a year as a named driver they quoted me the same fugure as the golf.

Anyway I got home, not feeling too happy about it all and went on the good old reliable internet. Quinn direct quoted me on the golf 1500 sterling. 2000 cheaper. They where the only ones to take into account my driving experience as a named driver. Personally the 1500 is still steep (remember its sterling) but compared to a small morgage the other where looking for its very acceptable.

Anyway Quinn get my vote.

• Site Banned Posts: 159 ✭✭Drummer

The only way you could possibly need a car is if you work far from home. Other than that, most residences have local conveniences such as shops, schools and churches. Where they don't there is public transport, unreliable as it may be. If you work so far from that you need a car to get there, then the job must be paying you a fantatic amount of money to be there. Most people who work far from home could get the exact same job 10 minutes away if they wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They have no legal right to ask or to base a premium on marital status. That would be discrimination based on status whic can hand them in very hot water with the equality authourity.

Advertisement