Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quinn Direct Online quotes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ivan E

It should be noted that although some insurance companies do drastically undercut others sometimes they give you a service to match what you pay for. I've heard a lot of bad complaints about Quinn when it comes to claims. Whereas Axa seem to be very quick and efficient. So that might be worth thinking about. The extra €100 or so might be something worth paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I've heard a lot of bad complaints about Quinn when it comes to claims.

Like the way they will always payout without defending a claim. Even where you are in the right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭beezkneez

Calling that dude a muppet is well OTT. The word 'excellent' is relative. There is no denying that for a young fella to be insured in ireland the prices are crazy but when he got quoted about a grand less then he normally does, that IS excellent for him.
    So what how much money he spends on his car every year, you have no right to critisize him for whatever amount he spends, he can obvioulsy afford it so can he not spend his money on whatever he wants, whether he needs it or not is hardly important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

Damn straight beezkneez. I still cant get over the neck of you kbannon, and being honest, had this discussion started in a pub with both of us face to face, you either wouldnt have called me a muppet or you would have got a box for being an ignorant idiot. 3000 odd IS excellent in relative comparison to the quotes Ive been getting and in relative comparison to what Im paying, so yes, for me, it is excellent.
    I dont care what u pay, becuase obviously your situation is different, be it you have a full licence, youre older, your car has a smaller engine etc...
    Fact is, for people in my situation or similar, these quotes are good/excellent, so stfu about wether or not we should be paying em. If we want a car (for WHATEVER reason) and we dont want to break the law, we have to pay em. Enough said.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Drummer wrote:
    Most people who work far from home could get the exact same job 10 minutes away if they wanted.

Christ, what planet are you living on :confused:

Kbannon - You're an idiot. Get down off your 'Nobody NEEDS a car' high horse. You spout this same rubbish all the time. There are a lot of people who need a car. Unless you hadn't noticed, Ireland's Public Transport system sucks, Taxi Fares are scandelous, a lot of places, even in Dublin are too far away from shops to walk and there are many other instances where people would need a car. I visit my parents and Finacè's parents a lot. Public Transport is not an option so I need a car. This is just one example.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

LFCFan wrote:
    Christ, what planet are you living on :confused:

Kbannon - You're an idiot. Get down off your 'Nobody NEEDS a car' high horse. You spout this same rubbish all the time. There are a lot of people who need a car. Unless you hadn't noticed, Ireland's Public Transport system sucks, Taxi Fares are scandelous, a lot of places, even in Dublin are too far away from shops to walk and there are many other instances where people would need a car. I visit my parents and Finacè's parents a lot. Public Transport is not an option so I need a car. This is just one example.
    Hold on - I did not get personal with any one partucular person so don't start clalling me an idiot. I criticised a group who think they need a car and who think they get relatively good value for money when it comes to insurance.
    The public transport system here is not great compared to many other countries but by and large it is actually quite good. I like many others, however, hate using it and choose to drive.
    As for taxis, I remember a report a few years ago where it showed that it can be cheaper to use taxis within the greater Dublin area compared to owning the average car.
    There are also many families out there who don't have a car [either by choice or by circumstances]. They still manage to get their weekly shopping done, they get to work on time, they get their kids to school, they make use of the resources out there.
    Where exactly in Dublin is too far away from the shops as I can't actually think of anywhere.
    You are confusing the fact that you choose to have a car with the fact that you need one. If you were put off the road for whatever reason, what would you do? Would you never see your family again? Would you starve because you can't get a sliced pan locally? Would you lose your job because you haven't a set of wheels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Drummer wrote:
    Most people who work far from home could get the exact same job 10 minutes away if they wanted
    Must be great to be you but the rest of us work wherever we have to and have no choice if its the other side of the city we go there thats the simple fact.
    kbannon wrote:
    by that logic then the OP should claim mileage back from their taxes if the employer won't help (doesn't say much for the job if the employer wants the employee to use their car but won't assist in its running).
    Either way though the work use needs to be declared to the insurance company
    No that would be by your logic. most people who have a car need it to travel to work and no job is going to pay a thing for you to travel to work.
    kbannon wrote:
    The public transport system here is not great compared to many other countries but by and large it is actually quite good. I like many others, however, hate using it and choose to drive.
    As for taxis, I remember a report a few years ago where it showed that it can be cheaper to use taxis within the greater Dublin area compared to owning the average car.
    The public transport system in dublin is good if your going somewhere like town and live in a well populated area where buses are regular but other than that you could be waiting an hour for a bus if you dont live in a well well serviced area. When i worked in my last job the only bus that went close to it only came every hour+ and took more than an hour to get there. And i had a 15 min walk to get to the bus stop and to get to work from the bus stop. Total travelling time was 2 hours each way. A taxi to and from work would cost me €30 each day which is the only other way I could get there which would work out at nearly €7000 per year which is not worth it at all. In my car it took depending on traffic about 20 min. Now dont know what world you live in but a 3 hour saving on travelling is totally essential and allot of people are in that situation espically with all these housing estates being build in the middle of nowhere. Its all about your quality of living, if you want ot spend your whole week working and traveling to work then sure we could all get public transport but if you actually want to havea life during the week outside work then there is no choice you need a car.
    kbannon wrote:
    Also, I did not refer to one individual in particular as a muppet - read my post carefully!
    I did read it and you said "long as muppets convince themselves" after quoting his insurance quotes that he posted, you indirectly called him a muppet but none the less called him one.

I agree totally 3 and a half grand is a disgrace but again what can ya do it has to be paid and if its the lowest quote you can get then its bloody great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

@ ABO3

did your try hibernian. IIRC they have a provisional ignition course now. Might be worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I haven't read all posts but I just want to suggest going with Tesco, I'm 20, 1 yr NCB, €1,430. Still robbery, but I wont get cheaper. As far as i know :rolleyes: I was quoted €2,200 by Quinn and around the same with Hibernian. When I told Quinn they said they don't try and compete so I said ok, thanks anyway and that was the last I've heard from them.

Why not just get a 1l car?

Do the Provisional Ignition test too and you will be able to get it with Tesco once you've done it:)

Kristok wrote:
    Must be great to be you but the rest of us work wherever we have to and have no choice if its the other side of the city we go there thats the simple fact.

No that would be by your logic. most people who have a car need it to travel to work and no job is going to pay a thing for you to travel to work.
    I think if you ask many in the commuting /transport forum you may get different opinions.
    For a while I lived in Clontarf and worked between Swords and Ashbourne. I have three choices:-
    * get 2 busses and a 45 minute walk to work afterwards
    * cycle
    * change job
    At this time I was unable to afford a car, never ,mind throw 3 1/2k towards insurance.
    I spent most of my time there using busses/walking but sometimes cycled. I left home at 6:30am to be in work for 9. However, I eventually left as I got a job I had been looking for.
    I made these choices though - I probably could have left that job and gone somewhere which paid a lot more and was more convienent but I chose to stay because I liked the job [and many times these days am tempted to throw in what Im currently doing and go back to it!
    Kristok wrote:
    I did read it and you said "long as muppets convince themselves" after quoting his insurance quotes that he posted, you indirectly called him a muppet but none the less called him one.
    whatever!
    My quote was taken in the context that he referred to the quotes and then said that the cheapest(!) one there was "feckin excellent".
    Kristok wrote:
    I agree totally 3 and a half grand is a disgrace but again what can ya do it has to be paid and if its the lowest quote you can get then its bloody great.
    you could not drive and use other means as suggested. It doesn't have to be paid. You could struggle for a few years using other means [or in the more extreme case, get a job in a more convienent location] and then when you are older insurance will be more affordable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

AB - have you compared an them with an identicle car/details with Tesco?

I've a full licence and 1 years NCB but when I was looking Tesco beat QD by a couple of hundred quid or so everytime.
    http://www.tesco.ie/finance/carinsurance/index1.html

Only thing is they wont cover over 1.6 :mad:

Souper :

I did and those quotes from Quinn are still far cheaper,even if I did the course. Hib wont quote me on the 1.5 as the conditions of the prov. ignition are 1.4 and less. Quinn will quote me (very reasonably) on anything up to a 1.6 non turbo.
    Thanks anyway tho.

With regard to where I live etc.
    I live in a new apartment complex behind cherry orchard. The only bus that is less than a half hour walk away is the 79 (still a 10-15 walk), which services cherry orchard. In fairness, that bus is grand and reliable in the mornings, but even when I was bussing it on the 79,I had to get that bus for 20 mins, then walk for 20 then get a luas for 15, then walk for a further 10 (just to get to the belgard road, approx 2-3 miles away and its non walkable cos of ind. estates). In the evenings, luckily enough, I knew a bus driver who works the private bus service to/from park west and he dropped me off near my place every evening, but if I missed him, a taxi was the only way home (happened a few times). That bus ran/runs twice a day (morning and evening). The morning private bus was so unreliable that when I used it soon after I moved in, I very nearly got fired for being late 90% of the time.
    With the car, the journey took in or around 15 mins.
    Add to the fact that if I wanted to go to town to shop or whatever after work, it involved either getting the 79 or another bus to ballyfermot (78A or similar) and walking for about half an hour. Believe it or not, the second option was by far the best/safest due to the amount of scum on the 79 from about 10.30 in the morning onwards + being my age, walking thru the heart of cherry orchard at night when u know nobody around there, is not a nice stroll home, believe me.

And in so far as work paying for me, why would they?
    All I was using the car for was getting to and from work, not using it for work related stuff, so really, its none of their concern how I get there, so long as I do.

Oh yeah, another thing the car has done for me is return my social life.All my mates live on the other side of the city (south inner) and as explained earlier, the only option for me to get home after office hours was one of two buses, one dodgy as fook and the other involved a fairly dodgy half hour walk.

Does that satisfy your need to know why I have the car?

Jesus theres a speil and a half. Never noticed it was that long :D

Oh yeah, and NM, those tesco quotes require either a full licence or 3 years provisional experience.
    Cheers tho

OK - fair enough - I see your point but as I said, you are making the choice to drive. You could avoid the costs involved if you really wanted/had to. The car is not a necessity but a 'luxury'.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

AB03 wrote:
    Oh yeah, and NM, those tesco quotes require either a full licence or 3 years provisional experience.
    Cheers tho

I've had my provisional since Dec 03. Once you pass the ignition it's ok and you can go with Tesco. I'm currently with Tesco with my year and a half old provisional license:)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ivan E

To be fair AB03, I used to work in Parkwest and subsequently am about to go back there in just over a week too but a group of us used to get the 79 in and out from the city where we lived at the time. We did try the Arrow but a month strike and irregular times did not help.

We were all doing stints abroad with the company but out of 5 of us, 1 had a car. Grand when he was in the country apparently (I wasn't there when he was) but public transport when he wasn't. With in about 6 months, the 4 others including myself had got cars. It did mean moving out of the city for all of us but that 79 was never a nice experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Drummer wrote:
    If you work so far from that you need a car to get there, then the job must be paying you a fantatic amount of money to be there. Most people who work far from home could get the exact same job 10 minutes away if they wanted.

Typical ignorant feckin Jackeen.
    Have you ever been anywhere outside Dublin ? (Not counting your annual piss-trip to Ibiza)

There is no local public transport in most of this country.

To have any quality of life at all, we need to have cars. We are obliged by law to insure them. This enables the insurance companies to profiteer off our needs. Healthy political donations out of their enormous profits keep it this way.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Quinn Direct are definately the cheapest but I'v personally heard a few horror stories about them... I know 2 people who had accidents while with Quinn and they paid out to the other party without hours of the accident without hearing both sides of the story.. Im insured with them myself simply because I cant afford anything else so it was either Quinn Direct or no car... just have to be extremely careful :o

cormie wrote:
    I haven't read all posts but I just want to suggest going with Tesco, I'm 20, 1 yr NCB, €1,430.
    Thats really pretty good, when I got my first car insurance, 6 years ago at 23 I was paying IR£840. 6 years of inflation accounts for the difference.
    cormie wrote:
    Why not just get a 1l car?
    Because on the donkey tracks that account for 99% of the country 'roads' on the map, a small light 1L car will be rattled to bits in the space of a few months.

That is a very good question for the city-dwellers though, why the hell do so many people go out & buy some big horse of a thing to sit in traffic for three hours a day, covering a distance of 7 miles in total, then whine about their €5,000 insurance bill ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Hi when i was 17 and wanted to get a car 92 1.0L starlet, all the online and insurance brokers quoted me well over €6000 and thats after proof of 20 2hr driving lessons, so i decided to get a moped, because i have to get around for work etc. and im paying €1400 for it, so now since im 19 i decided to get a quote on a 1.4 206 and bestquote.ie quoted me €1800 for it, but my dad is going to try and get a commercial quote on it because its the van version, but insurance is just madness in this country

Just one other question, if you have a 1yrs NCB on a bike, while on a Provisional can it be transferred when you need to be insured on a car?

Sparky_S wrote:
    Just one other question, if you have a 1yrs NCB on a bike, while on a Provisional can it be transferred when you need to be insured on a car?
    Nope.

For that matter, if you have 3 years on a bike on a full licence, its worth nothing to your car insurance. :mad:

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

kbannon wrote:
    so don't start clalling me an idiot.

Sorry, but I call it as I see it, and frankly, you're an idiot ;)
    I criticised a group who think they need a car and who think they get relatively good value for money when it comes to insurance.

By calling a group of people muppets and then placing an individual in that group you are effectivly calling them a muppet
    The public transport system here is not great compared to many other countries but by and large it is actually quite good.

It can be quite good if you happen to live in a well serviced are in Dublin and you only need to go into town. There are other areas in Ireland remember and even if you live in Dublin you don't always need to get into town.
    Where exactly in Dublin is too far away from the shops as I can't actually think of anywhere.

I live in an area in Dublin 15 that is 3 miles from the nearest shop. Granted, we are about to get our own town centre but for 3 years (and 6 months at the start there was no bus service) we needed a car to get around.
    You are confusing the fact that you choose to have a car with the fact that you need one. If you were put off the road for whatever reason, what would you do? Would you never see your family again? Would you starve because you can't get a sliced pan locally? Would you lose your job because you haven't a set of wheels?

By that same mentality, if my water was cut off I could source it from somewhere else, whether that be through bottled water or finding a well somewhere and dragging it back to my house. Do you think running water in your house is a luxury? I don't need electricty either in that case. I could live off the land. Sure who needs shoes either. My feet will toughen up after a couple of years of walking barefoot. Ah sure, I might as well go the whole hog and get rid of my house and live on the streets. Sure isn't there loads of homeless people doing it and they're surviving.

Wake up and come into the 21st Century FFS. A lot of people NEED their car. For those people it is a necessity, not a luxury!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

My insurance this year fell about 400 euros with Quinn. Im a happy camper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭logonapr

If insurance companies are all ripping off young male drivers how come so many of them won't quote young drivers?
    Surely if prices were at rip off levels it follows that they would prove highly profitable and every insurance company would then be chasing this business.
    Does the fact that so many companies will not quote not mean that they have concluded that they could not make money on these drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I've been trying to get a quote off Quinn direct online but when I enter my details I get the internal error message. It's only with my details. Would this be an age thing, im 24? It works on my parents details and the ex's (shes 28) but even if i try to add myself as a name driver i then get the error. I had insurance with them from 00 - 02 but cancelled my policey cos i was selling the car late in 02. I had 2 full years NCB and had cancelled 6 months into the 3rd year.

Ste - try this, cos I was gettin the same.

When it asks how long u've been resident in the country, put in your age and make sure you fill in how long you've had your licence for. It says on the page that they're both optional fields, but it wouldnt quote me til I filled em in.

Just an update by the way for those interested,
    Im now getting quotes of 2946 on my 1.5 civic. Gone down even further in the last few weeks.

So its gone from 3812 (which I paid about a month back), to 3457 (2 weeks ago) to 2946 now.
    Unbelievable. Luckily I pay mine thru direct debit so Im gonna cancel it and start a new policy soon. Means a saving of over a hundred quid a month. Savage

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

That bestquote.ie site actually gave me the worst quote I've seen! It quoted me over €3500 for a Civic 1.4i, and I have a full license and 2 years name experience.

I ended up paying €1550 fully comp with AXA. I could have gotten it cheaper with Quinn but I have heard stories about them and didn't want to risk it. For the sake of a couple of hundred yoyos you're better getting the secure option.

Also, I find with quinn they sometimes give you a quote, and then when you go to get it, they add on all this extra ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

some of those insurance sites like bestquote.ie and 123.ie dont get a quote from all companies, i.e. they do not have access to the e.g. AXA backend or whatever the company may be so it is quite possible that you will get a cheaper quote elsewhere, afaik AXA dont subscribe to this system.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

AXA don't seem to even subscribe to their own system, they've done away with online quotes, so when you click "get quote" it pops up a window telling you :

"Thank you for considering us for your insurance needs - we are very keen to have you as a customer.

We continue to increase the numbers of people we insure in Ireland on a daily basis and we have found that we can best meet your needs by speaking with you directly and tailoring the cover and price that best suits you. "

Actually no AXA, I prefer the convenience of using the internet, I don't want to talk to your crummy sales reps. Thanks.

Advertisement