Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Possible battery dead

Options
  • 13-04-2005 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

OK, got up this morning and the key just turned in the ignition with absolutely no result.

I've seen a few dead batteries, but most gave a kick at least, where you can hear the starter going. The key just literally turned in the ignition fully, no noise made, nothing clicked.

Is this most likely to be a battery problem?

Car is a 97 Punto.

Phil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

unlikely, u need a voltmeter to test it

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Give Tony a shout he'll know what to do!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Are your lights/other electrics working?

First thing to do (if you haven't done it) it check the battery connectors.
    You could save yourself a lot of hassle if they're just loose or corroded, and need to be reconnected properly.

If that doesn't help, then start worrying about other stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

I won't be able to check much more with the car until I get home, I'll report back then. I had to find alternative ways into work so I kinda just rushed off when I realised what was happening :/

My first instinct is that either the immobiliser has kicked in, or the key needs to be recoded.

A battery problem would be SO much easier to fix though. Curious if anyone else has had a similar problem with a Punto.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

Seems to be a power problem anyways, most likely problem being the battery. I can handle battery problems, I wouldn't have been too pushed about it being a key/immobiliser problem!

Got a lend of a mobile battery booster with jumper cables and it started no problem. The battery must have been really flat that morning, only thing i can think of was that something was wasting it!

Cheers,

Phil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

Now ya have to find out whats draining yer battery!
    Nightmare!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

defective boot light? staying on?
    buy a new battery first anyway, it shouldnt flatten so quick and they are cheap.

Dunno tho I had battery problems recently and I bought a new battery. After an hour or so's charging (driving about), I tried to start the car 3 hours or so later and it was dead again. Same carryon happened again the next day, so I drove around for about 3 or 4 hours just with the intention of charging it. Seemed to solve the problem, but that said, it hasnt been left without a start for more than 24 hours in about a month, until now that is!
    Mines parked off since monday and I wont be starting it til tomorrow. I'll be very interested in wether it starts first time tomorrow or wether its gonna have to be jumped (for about the 12th time since I got it - due to numerous issues).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭30-6shooter

buy a new battery first anyway, it shouldnt flatten so quick and they are cheap.

Cheap?? I need one for a 306 and Peugeot want E87 or something. What and where is the cheapest i could get 1 for, i need a diesel one. For a 1.9Litre.

Try east coast car parts (greenhills road,behind xtra vision - 4521500) or brennan motor factors in crumlin, cant remember their number. Shouldnt be more than 40 or 50 quid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement