Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Takeshi Kitano

• 13-04-2005 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi, any Takeshi Kitano fans out there. I'm a huge fan of his films, I love Boiling Point, Kikujiro and Sonatine especially.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Haven't seen many of his films, but he was great in Battle Royal and Violent cop, Redlight records currently stock alot of his movies so I might buy some when my cash situation improves :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yes, I'm certainly a fan. Easily one of the best director's there is. Hana-bi is a masterpeice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Dooid

I've seen some his movies in Laser on St. Andrews St., but they're really pricey. I tend to buy them off the net. He has a new film coming out soon, you can get it on import but I haven't been able to find one with english subtitles yet, it's called Blood and Bones but he didn't direct it so who knows if it'll be any good. Btw Captain Raven Scorchballs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭solo1

He did a movie called "Brother" which is fantastic. Really good gangster stuff. I liked "Hana-Bi". And I liked him in "Battle Royale". Or as they would call it "Battaru Royaru".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

surprised noone has mentioned Zatoichi, its a must see as far as im concerned. i own the lovely box set :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Ah yes Zatoichi, great film... great style and the 'musical' farming scene was so weird too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=110344&p=57&g=72&pa=sr

Good value here for a box set of 3 if you want some Takeshi on your shelf.
    (So cheap I have bought this a few times to give as xmas gifts)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

solo1 wrote:
    I liked "Hana-Bi".

The man is a the swiss army knife of japanese society. He writes novels, hosts talk shows, paints (the paintings in hana bi are his own) and makes a film every year. I'm floored by the quality and volume of his work. He's a true hamlet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

dolls is prolly my favourite, its a bit b-movie at times, but a total masterpiece also. Dunno something about that film.
    zatoichi is prolly my seond fav, I'm not so big into the whole yakuza thing, if I were hanabi would prolly be my fav. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Brother is absolutely brilliant, Hana-Bi and zatoichi are great too.

In fact, I havent seen a film of his that I havent like.

Although if you include Takeshi's Castle...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Dooid

Zaitoichi is really good, I love the finale; the Japanese Tap-Dancing thingy is really cool and the music is great; loads of energy, humour and tragedy in Kitano's films. I think Kikujiro is a really beautiful film, its kinda slow but like alot of his films there's a whole retroactive movement at the end, everything comes together, in a weird way sometimes ;) i.e. Boiling Point, and he wows you. He's really prolific which is great especially since everything he does is quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

hes very good with the souped up shopping trolleys and the super soaker guns :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Yeah, have yet to see somone win Takeshi's Castle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

i saw some little kids win it once, a few adults win it also. They really did win 1m yen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

zatoichi was fantastic, funny and brutal (i loved the fight scene in the rain)

i didnt really know what to make of brother, it had some really good sceens but...

Advertisement