Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Vs Juve (we deserve our own thread)(will incl scores)

• 13-04-2005 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

well here we go again.

Liverpool will be handing out crutches with the water bottles through out this game - so dependent are they on the walking wounded. We're pinning our hopes on Alonso (45 mins since Jan 1st) to control an away game against one of Europes top sides. :confused:

Ciise will be played with 20 mins to go to rescue our pride I fear rather than anything else.

Especially after the Inter performance ast night there have to be major concerns re: fan safety. There is however a ban on alcohol in force and triple the number of police on duty this evening as compared to other European nights.

Biscan has impressed when allowed a role further up the field. But Alonso surely can't police the hole Nedved will be operating in.

Pool can probably nick a goal, but they do allow chances at the back, Bayer and Juve away showed this - even though they weren't put away.

So I'll be watching this game more in hope than expectation TBH.

If pool make it through, IF!, then our squad will be a lot closer to full strength . Alonso, Gerrard, Kewell, Cisse, Hamann will all be back and eligible. And we've got less out of Chelsea then we should have this season.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Yes indeed. I expect to this to follow suit, ie a completely different performance from teh abysmal Man City performance at the weekend. Rafa seems to have the team playing in a way very suited to this competition.

But a lot is depending on the questionable fitness of some players.

As for fan safety, if the match goes of a peacefully as AC vs Inter last night I'll be thrilled. I have my doubts though. I would not like to be a Liverpool fan in Turin tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

As for fan safety, if the match goes of a peacefully as AC vs Inter last night I'll be thrilled. I have my doubts though. I would not like to be a Liverpool fan in Turin tonight.

:confused: Do you hope for trouble so Pool win by default?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

mike65 wrote:

Mike.
    I meant, if all that happens is a few flares and bottles are thrown on the pitch then I'll be "relatively" happy, as opposed to someone getting seriously hurt / killed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

mike65 wrote:

Mike.
    might be the best hope for victory :p

Only thing is that Liverpool can't afford any more injuries.
    And I don't think there is any truth in the rumours that the number 11 has been removed from smicer's jersey and replaced with a big X ;)

Back to being serious - the trouble in Milan might actually turn out to be good news vis a vis Turin. A lot more spotlight on Italian football fans now, and no doubt police presence will be increased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

the police presence has laready been tripled.

Bentiz has suggested Alonso won't start. Who the Fúck else is there? genuinely... Welsh - he's shown well so far, but talk about the deep end!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Any news on the lineup at all ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

readf in the indo today that the "ultras" section of the juve fans put threats all over the web like "get your knives and sticks ready, we've been waiting 20 years for revenge"! lets hope it all goes well tonight.... especially if the pool get an early goal.

biscan seems to go missing for some parts of the game, did it especially at the weekend, but juve HAVE to win. if we do the same as we did at the leverkusen game, that is come straight out at the start and attack, i reackon we'll have a really good chance. they were hit for 3 at the weekend when fiorentina did the same!

need a good game from garcia and alonso, and especially baros, i reckon le tallac will come on for alonso after 60 or 70 mins.

only thing that annoyed me was nunez inclusion, terrible all year, sayin that though hop he proves me wrong tonight

result: (i feckin hope) 1-1

If I had been rash enough to go to the game I'd already be on my way back home!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

The worst thing that could happen is an early goal because then they will try sit back and defend hopefully liverpool will score in the 60th min and then try defend it (how likely is that though)

Hoping/praying for 1-1 a Baros special

• Advertisement

I reckon liverpool haven't the personal to sit back and counter. They need to put the cat amongst the pigeons and put them under pressure. Not through rapid counter attacking which will jade them out, but through free kicks and corners around the box. Juve were shaky enough for an italian team when they had to deal with these set pieces last week. They will have sharpened since then but they need to be aware that they cann't send everyone up field to press for that goal. Baros can perform this role till he's replaced by Cisse with 20 to go. They cann't leave baros one on one.

Liverpool need to play like they did against Bayer. Slowly up the tempo rather sprinting out of the blocks because they will need to sustain it better than they did in Anfield where they only played for 25 mins IMO

I'd like to see them opening the game like they did in the first leg but assuming the goal comes then ease back (but not fall back) on the throttle and let Juve do all the ball chasing. Alonso can be the main man in this respect as he strokes the ball around esp to Luis Garcia.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Getting a bit Excited now ... COME ON THE POOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I'm just hoping that after the referee's role in the trouble in the San Siro last night, whoever's reffing this one doesn't turn into a homer to keep the crowd peaceful.

I think we'll score and go through.

They were able to sustain the first leg pace for 25 mins. This time the main orchastrater(sp) is completely unfit.

We won't be able to keep up the pace and will be exposed badly for it. They need to find a tweaked way of exerting pressure. In that respect yes Alonso can stroke the ball around. But he won't be leaving his own half that much. He may have two other central midfielders akin to the Utd approach to cover Keane. Welsh and Biscan.

Carson

Finnan - - Carragher - - Hyypia - - Warnock

--- Alonso - - - - Welsh
    Riise -- - - Biscan - - -- Garcia

Baros

when will the actuall team be announced to ridicule my predictions?

The teamsheet is released at about 7 pm...you have Garcia on the left and Riise on the right!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

mike65 wrote:
    .you have Garcia on the left and Riise on the right!

Mike.

Is Houlier back? ;)

mike65 wrote:
    The teamsheet is released at about 7 pm...you have Garcia on the left and Riise on the right!

Mike.

oversight. Other than that - what do you reckon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

i think the pub beside me might not be open for some reason....

bastids.

now i need to find a new place to see the match...

wan the pool.

Well I think flexible is tonights watchword.

I'd start

=======Dudek/Carson

=Finnan==Carra==Hyypia==Traore/Warnock

Nunez==Alonso==Biscan==Riise

=====Luis Garcia

========Baros

When when the goal goes in (!) drop Garcia back to right wing with Nunez tucked in alongside. If Baros fades bring on Anthony LeTallec. If a late goal is required bring on Cisse alongside LeTellac and drop Nunez to bench.

I would'nt risk Welsh tonight.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Is welsh still injured?

Btw, beside Cisse, Traore and Welsh who are our possible subs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

LIVERPOOL: Dudek, Finnan, Hyypia, Carragher, Traore, Nunez, Biscan, Alonso, Riise, Garcia, Baros.

SUBS: Carson, Warnock, Welsh, Potter, Le Tallec, Smicer, Cisse.

Damn that ws quick! What he ^ said!

So its as I predicted. :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

the juventus team

1. Buffon
    2. Thuram
    3. Montero
    4. Cannavaro
    5. Camoransi
    6. Emerson
    7. Olivera
    8. Zambrotto
    9. Nedved
    10. Del piero
    11. Ibrahimovic

Hopefully liverpool will have a chance if we keep nedved and del piero quiet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Put on Sky now , i doubt we be talking about anything football related tonight :(

kdjac

Its kicking off already....

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

When Liverpool won the European Cup in 1981 these events happened

Prince Charles got married
    Ken and Deirdre got married
    A new Doctor Who was appointed
    Liverpool won the European Championship

Prince Charles marries
    Ken and Deirdre marry
    New Doctor Who starts

And there’s more, very interesting:

Wales win the Grand Slam in Rugby
    The Pope Dies
    Liverpool lose in the League Cup final to the eventual League Champions that year {Forest}
    Liverpool win the European Cup

Wales win the Grand Slam in Rugby
    The Pope Dies
    Liverpool lose in the League Cup final to the eventual League Champions that year {Chelsea}
    Will Liverpool make it a clean sweep and win the European Cup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

I fell over and hurt my knee in 1981 and it's sore again today.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Should have been 1-0 to Juve. that was a sitter

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

yea buts its not so . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Hardly a sitter really....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Surprised at Juve's lack of urgency so far.

Linesman is atrocious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

pool doing a job and doing it well , or are Juve just crap and lacking urgency :confused:

They really dont seem arsed.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

An awful game between 2 attrocious teams. Neither can keep the ball.

Seems to be a new offside rule in place - if you are offside when you recieve the ball rather than when it was played :rolleyes:

As strange a first half as I can remember bearing in mind whats at stake. Juve are very humdrum and Liverpool are not able to stir themselves to take advantage. Luis Garcia is a passenger, if Pool press them I can see a goal.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

mg its boring
    hopefully second half is better

Relocation Relocation on Channel 4 looks more interesting..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Zakrze wrote:
    Relocation Relocation on Channel 4 looks more interesting..........
    i rather watch fair city .thats saying much

Soooooo close :'(

Come on guys its not that bad. Liverpool only need a 0-0. What do ye expect. Baros had an oppurtunity to finish it off a couple of mins ago. He should have scored it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

its not a bad game at all. benitez sets his team up beautifully for european games. a very clever manager. if they get through it will be like a premier league game though, which might catch them out.

Completely different from both teams this half.

Liverpool look more like scoring in this half though.

Can't take it. I t is going to be the longest 25 minutes for nearly 20 years. Anyone think that nunez looks like Spencer Moon ? Riise to score winner........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Igor is getting a bit of a kicking out there.

Here's Cisse.

Come on Cisse :D:D

Here we go fairy tale ending. Cisse on for Baros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

FS, never a dull moment when Traore is on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

3 minutes stoppage time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Keeper is nearly on the half way, ripe for the chipping..

• Advertisement
Advertisement