Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java Struts

Options
  • 13-04-2005 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

just reading up on struts and was wondering if I have the correct understanding that Struts is basically an appliction architecture wherebye a browser using JSP pages will send all of its actions/queries to a single controlling servlet which will pass on all logical computation to other objects, like beans, to do the work and pass the results back to the JSP.

I tried reading the Jakarta documentation, but I really hate reading text about java, much prefer to learn with code.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

That's more or less it. Stuts is an implementation of the MVC (Model-View-Controller) pattern.
    You define your data (model) as JavaBeans.
    You define your screens (view) as JSP pages, but using struts tags (instead of HTML tags) for screen elements (text boxes, labels, dropdowns etc).
    You determine how the models and view interact (controller) in a file called "struts-config.xml". This defines what data belongs to what screen, and the flow of what screen follows what. You can also specify what type of validation you want to use there too.

I'm a bit rusty on struts (haven't used it in over a year) - so my best advice is to get stuck in. Google "Struts Tutorial" and you will find a wealth of knowledge out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Yakuza wrote:
    That's more or less it. Stuts is an implementation of the MVC (Model-View-Controller) pattern.
    You define your screens (view) as JSP pages, but using struts tags (instead of HTML tags) for screen elements (text boxes, labels, dropdowns etc).
    You determine how the models and view interact (controller) in a file called "struts-config.xml". This defines what data belongs to what screen, and the flow of what screen follows what. You can also specify what type of validation you want to use there too.

I'm a bit rusty on struts (haven't used it in over a year) - so my best advice is to get stuck in. Google "Struts Tutorial" and you will find a wealth of knowledge out there.

Thanks for that. Just wanted to make sure I got my head around it correctly before I got stuck in.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tempest

Yakuza wrote:

More specifically it's the FrontController design pattern. See Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture (Fowler) (ISBN 0-321-12742-0).

Advertisement