Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any X Files Fans Here?

Options
  • 13-04-2005 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Huge X Files fan me, used to watch it all the time. Just wondering whether there was anyone here who used to watch it when it was on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I used to be obsessed with it. Stopped watching in later seasons though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I used to be an avid fan. I'd watch every episode intently, anally notating references within the episode to try and link them togther. I could speedily recite tons of facts about the show and could rapidly call out the episode titles of the first three seasons in reverse order of airing. I bought the books by Charles Grant and Kevin J. Anderson (spit), had the comics and magazines (have a letter published in one of them!) and desperately waited my next installment.

And then something changed. I realized they hadn't a balls notion of what they were doing. I think it was around Season 6, after the disappointing movie. The mythology was making no sense. It was unnessecarily complex, but that didn't disguise the fact that it was trying to mask an incoherent series of facts: killer bees, black oil, clones that melted, terminator aliens, grey aliens, etc etc. Even the finale could never tie it properly. I felt cheated and I got annoyed. I grew resentful. I wanted the show to end, to stop further sullying the memories I had of it. It didn't and I, being neurotic, was compelled to keep watching, seeing this doomed car crash experience. I watched until it was finally put out of its misery.

If you look around today, you'll often see "The X-Files" used when discussing when shows should have known when to stop. Had "The X-Files" wound down after 5 or 6 years I might have approached this with a smile. As it is, I still have that taste of bitter disappointment. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Stark wrote:
    I used to be obsessed with it. Stopped watching in later seasons though.
    Ditto, used to watch it religiously... lost interest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I loved it then lost interest i have a few of my favwerate episodes on tape tho i do still like it if i had the cash to spare and plantly of money id get the DVDs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Compared to the last few seasons the movie was class.It was aimed more at people who didnt really watch the show.My sister thought it was great and she would turn of the tv show.I was astounded to hear she saw it in the states before it came out here and thought it was very good.

The terminator type story was the final nail in the coffin as but the sucker punch for me was the two parter story in season 6"one son" where all d syndicate were burned alive.The mythology never recoverd after that though Requiem where mulder was abducted was good and it should have ended there with a movie franchise taking over.Maybe chris carter had made a enough money of the back of the 1st five years to come up with anything descent or maybe he just ran out of ideas. Characters such as Cancer man and Krycek could have been used better and alot more rather than killing them off.An Xfiles movie sequel without the Cigerate Smoking Movie is such a waste and why wasnt Krycek in the 1st movie.His character should have been saved for the second film.What a dissapointment!

Though nothing can last forever but those 1st couple of seasons especially the first 2 were amazing...nothing will ever compare

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

It is always on FX 289 - about 5 times a day

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I enjoyed the first couple of seasons but like most posters on this thread, I felt it then lost its way. However, I never got to see the spin-off, based on the Lone gunman group. Was it any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

1st 4 seasons were superb, then the finale of season 4 and every episode after seemed to suck.

I reckon it was bringing in the aliens, the things like the guy who crawled into houses, those stories interested most with some alien storylines but it went a bit mad after season 4 and sucked.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

the lonegunmen was pretty awful..only watched bits of 1 r 2 episodes.Though one episode shot before Sep 11 was about terrorists hijacking plans and flying them into the Twin towers in NY....Shows how little attention was given to the xfiles and the lone gunmen that this wasnt more news worthy.
    Not that I am applying any connection!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I used to love it back in the day and recently renewed my interest by getting the first two seasons on dvd, still great stuff. Though I lost interest after Mulder & Scully got replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

I try to watch it as much as I can find it, and I read a lot of the novels/comics aswell. Only thing is I was born a bit to late to really appreciate it when it was in it's hey-day. So annoying, still, there's always pimp my ride to watch nowadays!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Think ixoy kinda summed it up nicely

lol

Advertisement