Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pirate Music

• 13-04-2005 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hey guys,

Couldnt figure out where to really post this so let know if you know somewhere better.

There was an article on TV3 last night about people being sued for illegally downloading music. I was wondering if anyone had information on the legal issues involved in a case like this?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭crashedmind

based on the report last night my understanding is:

Following the IRMA's recent advertising campaign they are going after 17 large offenders that they have identified. One of these offenders reportedly was sharing up to 3000 songs.

Some of the legal issues:
    1. The IRMA wants the ISPs to handover details of offenders: ISPs are bound by the Data Protection Act.
    See http://www.dataprotection.ie/ for recent legislation.
    2. AFAIK, in Ireland it is illegal (copyright law infringement) to "backup" a music CD to mp3 or whatever even if you legally own the CD. So the only legal way to get music files is via one of the legal online music retailers such as itunes.
    3. Usage of Peer to Peer networks isn't illegal in itself (e.g. BitTorrent is used for linux distribution) though they may be used for distributing content illegally. To date, there are very few anonymous distribution networks (Mute, Freenet are some exceptions as well as using anonymous/encrypted proxies) so it is possible for ISPs or whoever to track illegal file sharing.

See "Internet users targeted in music piracy crackdown" for related story http://newsfeed.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/story.asp?j=570483244366&p=57x483z44989&n=570483245054

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

WRT item 1 on your list there, an ISP may or may not be covered by the DPA (there is other legislation that might come into effect depending on the organisation) but in either case the effect is that IRMA are not in a position to properly request such information. Either there is an active investigation by authorities who are in a position to request such information or they are making such noises in an attempt to spread FUD.

Either way, the FUD aspect was the reason I saw why they would make such a statement yesterday and I was amused to see this thread starting today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

WRT = With repect to
    DPA = Data protection act
    IRMA = Irish Recorded Music Association
    ISP = Internet service provider
    FUD = scare tactics?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I would sue my ISP and/or report them to the data protection authorites if they gave my IP address to anybody except a state law enforcement body. IRMA or any other "industry-appointed watchdog" have no right to know my IP address nor my name and address.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Fabritzo wrote:
    WRT = With repect to
    DPA = Data protection act
    IRMA = Irish Recorded Music Association
    ISP = Internet service provider

Yes :)

Didn't realise I was using so many TLAs (including the FLA).
    FUD = scare tactics?

Essentially, yes. It stands for Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement