Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which broadband\telephone service

• 13-04-2005 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am moving house in a while and I am hoping the new house will be able to get broadband (The exchange is enabled, I am less than 2km from the exchange and it's a brand new estate, so fingers crossed all will be OK)

Anyway I have been looking at all the phone companies offering both voice and broadband service and I don't know which one to go with (so far UTV look good at €29.99 pm)

Has anyone advice, recommendation on which are better than others etc., and even though I hate David McRedmond and his guff to the media with a passion I am willing to go with Eircom if they are the best value for money.

Mods, if this is the incorrect form please direct the thread to a more appropriate one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

It all depends on what you want the connection 4...ie
    Peer2Peer downloading n all that or just basic internet
    use.
    Im wit Digiweb a 3mbit connection n thats €89 a month ex vat.
    you will have to pay line rental to eircom anyway if you want dsl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

if you are a gamer, or require rock solid reliability/pings, or you want to connect more than 1 computer to the internet, even a wireless lan, then eircom are the best at the moment, even with their HomeStarter.
    If you require more room for file downloads, the homeplus.

If you dont give a crap about pings, nor 100% connectivity, nor the added bonus of a free wifi modem/router and free installation, then there are LOTS of options lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

ricey wrote:
    It all depends on what you want the connection 4...ie
    Peer2Peer downloading n all that or just basic internet
    use.
    Im wit Digiweb a 3mbit connection n thats €89 a month ex vat.
    you will have to pay line rental to eircom anyway if you want dsl.

Well a bit of both, but more surfing than downloading, and no gaming.
    I'll be moving to Athenry, Co. Galway and to the best of my knowledge DSL is the only BB option (other than Sat.) in the area right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

IMHO, BT have the best deal at the moment!!!

€49 ====> 1mbit/12GB CAP and Line Rental with their Phone Service

or

€57 ====> 2mbit/24GB CAP and Line Rental with their Phone Service

If you pick another..say UTV's basic package you get

Line Rental €24.##
    Broadband €29.99
    so
    €55 ====> 1mbit/8GB CAP and Line Rental with their Phone Service

Now thats €2 cheaper than the Plus BT package!!!!!!!

How could anyone wishing to ditch eircom pass up that offer.....twice the speed and 3 times the CAP for €2 extra a month!!!!!

==========================================================
    ***If I have above stated incorrectly please tell me as BT have an astounding deal when you do the math!!!***
    ==========================================================

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I haven't seen anything good about UTV around here for quite a while so that may not be the best option, for BB anyway. I hear that they offer free calls on the phone servicce though which may entice you, if you use the phone much. BT's newest offerings seem pretty good, BB plus line rental all in one package for quite a bit cheaper than Eircom and also with higher caps.

If the exchange is going to be covered by Smart though you may want to check them out as they are offering the cheapest option, for the moment.

I would recommend BT going by your requirements. They're not without their faults though, especially the accounts/billing department.

• Advertisement

JNive wrote:
    if you are a gamer, or require rock solid reliability/pings, or you want to connect more than 1 computer to the internet, even a wireless lan, then eircom are the best at the moment, even with their HomeStarter.
    If you require more room for file downloads, the homeplus.

If you dont give a crap about pings, nor 100% connectivity, nor the added bonus of a free wifi modem/router and free installation, then there are LOTS of options lol.

You do realise that eirom is also the most expensive and that a good/bad ping with eircom will also be experienced with its bitstream products (netsource/digiweb/BT&UTV).

If you are willing to move your telephone service then pick either UTV or BT...and if you have read my previous comment and want value for money then I believe there is only one choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

julius wrote:
    You do realise that eirom is also the most expensive and that a good/bad ping with eircom will also be experienced with its bitstream products (netsource/digiweb/BT&UTV).

No it won't. I presume you're new here because there's been endless moaning from UTV and IOLBB users about problems that have never affected Eircom users.

Hahaha

As a BT customer I have ZERO problems with them so far.
    Got the 2Mbit line on Sunday morning and such things as they were offered.
    Eircom screwed me over by billing me weeks into their supposed trial and I am still waiting for my second €54 installment to be credited back to me!!!

Blaster99 -> Are you an eircom customer or have UTV/BT screwed you over as well???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Don't tell me you're another one of these "I've had broadband for two weeks and it's really good and it works all time"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

In the absence of any wireless option (where I would not even bother with a land line) I think the BT option is best, I have there Anytime dial-up service for the past year and a half and have never even has a dropped connection.

Digiwebs wireless don seem that bad.

HomeWave (inc vat) 512kb €35 10GB
    BizWave (ex vat) 512kb €39 20GB
    BizWave Enhanced 1 Mb €79 NOLIMIT
    BizWave Enterprise 2 Mb €145 NOLIMIT

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

julius wrote:

That is not the case - for months and months Clicksilver users were getting terrible pings and pleaded with UTV to sort it out and several people into gaming went to Eircom because their pings were stable. UTV seem to have sorted the ping problem out now.

Advertisement