Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renting a car for 19 Year old

Options
  • 13-04-2005 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭

Hi
    My friend is looking to rent a car for his 19 year old cousin that is comming over from Greece. He has a full licence. All the major car rental firms require him to be at least 21.
    Does anyone know of any privarte dealership that would rent him a car?
    Preferably, but not necessarily on the North side of Dublin.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not a hope I think.

I can hear alarm bells ringing around insurance companies as we speak.

I'm amazed that even 21 year olds are covered, I would have thought min age here would be 25 with full license for 3 years.

A 19 year old has no chance especially one who is used of driving on the other side of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

Been in that boat. Nobody in this country (or, it seems, most places in the world) will rent a car to anybody under 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The restriction is usually insurance based. If he has insurance in greece that allows him to drive his car in other eu countries, then theoretically he may be able to transfer this to a rental car as long as it's fully comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

bazz26 wrote:
    I'm amazed that even 21 year olds are covered, I would have thought min age here would be 25 with full license for 3 years.
    Under-25's will be covered, but with a surcharge. Depending on the company, this can be as much as €25 per day.

You can't trick them and rent a car in the UK (N.I.) and drive it down here, as they usually say you have to be a UK resident and/or specify that you may not cross the border.

Advertisement