Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

200 kb/s?

• 13-04-2005 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭

Please dont throw rotten fruit at me, i havent been keeping tabs on whats going on with DSL at the moment. I heard a radio ad that eircom was going 4 times faster, thought that sounded cool but forgot about it. Im on ESAT-bt, and i noticed i have been getting far faster speeds that normal. 200-300 kb/s FTP download, even on bittorrent. SO what the hell? has IOL jumped on the faster bandwagon aswell. Obviously have. So does this mean i have a 1mb line now?
    Anyone know the download cap for IOL aswell?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

There are LOADS of threads about this on this forum. Go and look for them.

Sounds like you have a 2mb line btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭Lydesia

ooops sorry about that, 2mb line. lol cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

You've 4 times the speed than before, and if you're on the Broadband+ (no longer IOL since BT have changed that) then your cap has been increased by 50% to 24gb, the basic broadband package has had speed doubled - 1mb...and with a 12gb cap now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Lydesia wrote:
    Please dont throw rotten fruit at me, i havent been keeping tabs on whats going on with DSL at the moment. I heard a radio ad that eircom was going 4 times faster, thought that sounded cool but forgot about it. Im on ESAT-bt, and i noticed i have been getting far faster speeds that normal. 200-300 kb/s FTP download, even on bittorrent. SO what the hell? has IOL jumped on the faster bandwagon aswell. Obviously have. So does this mean i have a 1mb line now?
    Anyone know the download cap for IOL aswell?

I got upgraded to 2MB as well last week.

2048 Mbps = theoretical limit of 256KB/sec. I've gotten steady 220kB/sec from HEA Net servers but it varies a lot internationally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

2048 Mbps = theoretical limit of 256KB/sec. I've gotten steady 220kB/sec from HEA Net servers but it varies a lot internationally.

Of course you mean 2048kbps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

No. the connection is in Megabits per second. The download speed is in Kilobytes per second.

There are 8 bits to a byte.
    Therefore 2048 Megabits / 8 = 256 Kilobytes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Actually No,

2048Kilobits / 8 = 256Kilobytes

2048Megabits / 8 = 256Megabytes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Cavman

im no eircoms plus package, got a once of max yesterday of 75kbps
    my pings are worse then before the upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

that's odd, call them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

You've 4 times the speed than before, and if you're on the Broadband+ (no longer IOL since BT have changed that) then your cap has been increased by 50% to 24gb, the basic broadband package has had speed doubled - 1mb...and with a 12gb cap now

Beware on that one it 24 GB up+down. They combined the up and download caps so technically the cap for them has been LOWERED 25% if you up and download 12GB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jimme

Actually no, the Cap is now 24GB up AND down for iolbb+ and 12GB up AND down for the basic package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Read the forum please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement