Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about NTL

• 13-04-2005 6:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if you can connect a pc and xbox to the modem and use them at the same time? In general what are the pings like? Is the connection fairly reliable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

I don't know for sure, but... Ntl blab about being ntl X-Box compatable, but as for PC & X-Box at once, it says here :
    To directly connect your hardware:

1. Turn off your devices (Xbox console, modem, and, if you have one, your PC) before connecting any cables.
    2. Disconnect your ntl cable modem from its power source to turn it off.
    3. If the PC NIC is already connected to the modem, disconnect the Ethernet cable from the PC NIC.
    But if you have a Gateway/Router/Switch I'd connect the X-Box to one of the ports on it and see if it'll work.

sorry can't be more helpful than that,
    causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

Connect the computer to the cable modem through USB and the X Box through ethernet *SHOULD* work. But the chances are, if you are doing anything minor on the internet, the pings for the X Box are gonna be crap. X Box live also does not work well with the 300k because the return path is the same speed (roughly) as a dial up connection. On the 700k package, 128k will be just enough for the X Box, but as I said, probably not for someone gaming AND doing heavy surfing on the internet at the same time. If you are downloading anything, then forget it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

thanks for the help. im currently with eircom and have finished my year contract and am now on the rolling monthly contract. Does anyone know if i can sign up and get ntl installed before im finished my 1 months notice with eircom?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Dave6195 wrote:
    thanks for the help. im currently with eircom and have finished my year contract and am now on the rolling monthly contract. Does anyone know if i can sign up and get ntl installed before im finished my 1 months notice with eircom?

Yes, NTL and DSL are completely diifferent. I have Netsource DSL with a 2 month rolling contract. I ordered NTL BB and canceled DSL and I currently have both installed, the DSL should be finished at the end of the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

thanks, really thinkin of getting ntl ( the thought of 3meg dls :D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

check out this thread in the Xbox section http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=230917

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Get a basic router. Will do the job. The upload speed isn't affected by downloads on the pc, (256K on NTL), and with 1500k down there's always enough to share! Works perfectly for me torrenting and brother on ps2 at the same time.

Advertisement