Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connected to SmartBB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

damien.m summed it up nicely. My mistake, I shouldn't have given the impression that this court case will sort out number portability. It might push it along though with luck if Eircon do actually have to do what they are directed to do by the regulator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

I know how much an engineer costs!! I also know how much it costs to put a modem in a box & post it, So do Smart & even Eircom, despite being the greatest con artists they wouldn't have the balls to charge €90 p&p..... Question if the €90 is to pay for the setting up, then why does nobody else charge it ... Bring on the compitition the more the merrier I say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,020 ✭✭✭opus

julius wrote:
    Hes on the "Dolphins Barn" exchange in Dublin.
    Cork wont get it for a couple of months and your guess is as good as mine before it goes beyong the cities.

Is it really that far away for Cork, I signed up a month or two ago and they were talking about May/June :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 cman

has anyone heard anything in the coolock exchange

cman wrote:
    has anyone heard anything in the coolock exchange
    I think its along the same lines as myself in Santry,, Smart swear blind this will be live by the end of April... The guy I spoke to yesterday said they were up to thier b***ox sending out the modems....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

beller b wrote:
    I know how much an engineer costs!! I also know how ................... Question if the €90 is to pay for the setting up, then why does nobody else charge it ... Bring on the compitition the more the merrier I say!

Other isps do charge for this in one way or another.....for instance UTV:
    One off installation charge of €99 applies following your three month free trial.

and EsatBT
    Order online and save €50 on self-install charge (normally €90)

robo wrote:
    I emailed them on the 7th of April asking when Crown Alley Exchange would be live and when I might be connected! And they emailed me back on the 13th of April saying what I posted above - With testing, we anticipate the exchange will be in a a position to accept customers by the 29th of April. We will contact you in due course to advise of the modem delivery and Broadband installation.

I shall keep you posted on how it goes.

Did they ask you if you currently had a contract with another isp?

dub45 wrote:
    As has been discussed on numerous threads Smart DO NOT ask if you have a contract with any other ISP ... Its already been stated if there is a dsl connection in place the LLU will be rejected....It is up to you the customer to cancel this before Smart can complete the connection

beller b wrote:
    As has been discussed on numerous threads Smart DO NOT ask if you have a contract with any other ISP ... Its already been stated if there is a dsl connection in place the LLU will be rejected....It is up to you the customer to cancel this before Smart can complete the connection

Well surely they should ask so that some sort of coordination can be arranged? Given that most people will have to give a month's notice to terminate their current contract how are they to time that so as to minimise downtime if Smart dont ask this and give a likely date for connection?

And if you look in the main Smart thread Garfield acknowledged this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

dub45 wrote:
    Well surely they should ask so that some sort of coordination can be arranged? Given that most people will have to give a month's notice to terminate their current contract how are they to time that so as to minimise downtime if Smart dont ask this and give a likely date for connection?

Dub45,

Bitstream ISPs ask whether an existing contract is in place because there is a process whereby eircom can transfer the service between operators in one go.

This is because it's all the same service delivered by eircom DSLAMs anyway. They only need to make the change at the BRAS/ BAS (whaterver).

Eircom won't accept a ULMP (type of LLU) order if bitstream is provisioned on the line. The customer has to cancel the service with eircom first. That's why we leave it in the customer's hands to cancel their existing connection.

Garfield.

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote:

I have read it & I know he has. But I think the reason they don,t ask is simply because they can't give anyone a decent estimate of when they can expect connection. They told me 3 weeks ago expect a call in a week.
    I last spoke to them yesterday & they swear end of April... But when I asked out straight if the equipment was in the exchange yet thet dogded the question....
    I just made the decision & cancelled eircom. I just have to live with dial up & hope it will speed things up when the time comes...........

Dub45,

Bitstream ISPs ask whether an existing contract is in place because there is a process whereby eircom can transfer the service between operators in one go.

This is because it's all the same service delivered by eircom DSLAMs anyway. They only need to make the change at the BRAS/ BAS (whaterver).

Eircom won't accept a ULMP (type of LLU) order if bitstream is provisioned on the line. The customer has to cancel the service with eircom first. That's why we leave it in the customer's hands to cancel their existing connection.

Garfield.
    Ah Garfield Just the man!! Whats happening with the Santry exchange ?? I'm cracking up !!! On dial up is bad enough, but it,s pay as you go & its killing me giving all that money to EirCON... Maybe you could get me connected as a tester!! I'm less than half a mile from exchange,, bound to get good speeds for you........ I'd nearly pay you at this stage for the privelidge LOL

Dub45,

Garfield.

I am not suggesting (nor have I ever suggested) that you should cancel the contract on the customer's part. I am suggesting that you have a role to play in informing your potential customer when you will be likely to be able to connect him. its only in that way that the customer can minimise downtime and incidentally avoid wasting some of Smart's time as well. Surely if you are not coordinating in this way you are going to find yourself scheduling people for connection and then finding that you cannot do it because they are in a contract? (Especially as you did not ask people when they were completing their Smart application forms if they were already on bb with another isp)

And beller's posts above describe exactly the situation I am talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

dub45 wrote:

Nope nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭gtsreddy

hi gari can you tell me when we will be get connected in smithfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

question re the contract.

the only thing holding me back from smart at the moment is the 12 month contract, and only because i've had hints from the landlord he is thinking of selling the property.

if i am under the smart contract can i change my location without being penalised?
    assuming i am moving to another exchange that smart is operating out of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

I don't know about you, but I certainly won't be cancelling my eircom broadband until Smart get back to me and say they're ready to connect me.

Otherwise, I know I'll end up without broadband and probably waiting for months to get Smart broadband or end up going back to eircom.

It took Smart one month and a bit of chasing up to acknowledge they got my direct debit (thank god I sent it registered), so I certainly wouldn't count on them delivering in the timeframes published on the website.

I was supposed to be up and running in March/April according to Smart, and it's mid April and still no word from them.

netman wrote:
    I don't know about you, but I certainly won't be cancelling my eircom broadband until Smart get back to me and say they're ready to connect me.

Otherwise, I know I'll end up without broadband and probably waiting for months to get Smart broadband or end up going back to eircom.

It took Smart one month and a bit of chasing up to acknowledge they got my direct debit (thank god I sent it registered), so I certainly wouldn't count on them delivering in the timeframes published on the website.

I was supposed to be up and running in March/April according to Smart, and it's mid April and still no word from them.
    I think either Smart are waiting to see if this case with Eircom is sorted quickly, or else thier playing games with the customer... On every occasion that I,ve spoke to them they have always insisted Thier March/April deadline IS on schedule.. The next few weeks will tell one way or the other, but I rekon if April passes they will see a lot of customers dissappearing in the direction of BT ( who btw are telling callers that Smart are not in a position to connect anyone at the moment)... Anyway Garfield PMed me last night he is on the case ,, Let see what he comes up with!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Just wondering, is the 100,000 customer free line retail offer still valid....i doubt they have reached the quota have they?
    Or would they even disclose how much places are left...

gazza22 wrote:
    Just wondering, is the 100,000 customer free line retail offer still valid....i doubt they have reached the quota have they?
    Or would they even disclose how much places are left...

A couple of weeks ago when a Smart rep appeared on a few radio programmes I think that a figure of 17,000 was mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

twas Dub45. Id say about 25k customers max now.

I will not send anyone to Smart as I can not GET answers from them on their LLU telephone package and fear nasty surprises are in store for their customers any day now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

yep i'm thinking of switching to smart but i'm going to hold off for a bit just see how the service is going. I switched to Esat a while back and found them very annoying and they kept sending bills with wrong charges so i dumped them, back to Eircom now, and don't want to rush into anything that might turn out like Esat...but from what i have heard, Smart are promising.

gazza22 wrote:
    yep i'm thinking of switching to smart but i'm going to ...but from what i have heard, Smart are promising.

Yeah they seem to be promising ok ......next week or the week after......

Just read some of the posts on this type of thing its not very encouraging.

I think com 1st of May we will know what to make of Smart... If they already know the exchanges won't be live by the end of the month they need to come clean & give customers a date If not they will lose all credability very quickly... & Esat will be the ones who benifit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I can ony presume I am not so special that they decided I was a case worthy of early BB. Maybe there are more people out there on it but who aren't on boards.

I'm currently enjoying >2mb downoad speeds and a 37ms ping to the world of warcraft servers on the SmartBB product so that PROVES there has to be at LEAST one exchange live so far, eh?

They did say march/april for the connection dates on my exchange and we are still in april are we not? So what they told me has PROVEN to be true.

I had some doubts on timescaeles as well until I recieved the DSL router and was informed before time when to expect it. They have delivered on time so far and have been in touch to inform us as and when to expect things to happen.

So give it a chance and maybe cut the pre-emptive whinging down a bit till you actually have something to complain about?

I posted up here to let peope know that at least one exchange is live and to encourage you all that its not all in vain. Especially anyone that was told by Eircon that their line woud forever fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

dub45

It's impossible for Smart to give any one an ETA on connection until eircom have accepted an order for LLU. Smart can not get an order accepted until bitstream DSL has been cancelled. Theres nothing Smart can do about this until eircom put the provision in place.

Paul

flamegrill wrote:
    dub45

It's impossible for Smart to give any one an ETA on connection until eircom have accepted an order for LLU. Smart can not get an order accepted until bitstream DSL has been cancelled. Theres nothing Smart can do about this until eircom put the provision in place.

Paul
    Probobly right!, but what about those who have either cancelled BB or have never had it? also I believe Eircom can not delay them if a new number is issued from smart.. I have already cancelled Eircom BB & have told smart changing my number is not a prob.. So its either the exchange (Santry btw) is Live or not .If it is live giving a rough date should not be a prob , If its not live then they should have an idea when it will be.. Either way under the above conditions, unfrotunatly they can't blame Eircom..
    I fully understand that it is a complex task & delays are likely but it is Smart who are insisting there are no delays & everything is on time, by doing this they are putting thier hands out to be slapped if they can't deliver.....Wonder has Garfield any news??

beller b wrote:
    Probobly right!, but what about those who have either cancelled BB or have never had it? also I believe Eircom can not delay them if a new number is issued from smart.. I have already cancelled Eircom BB & have told smart changing my number is not a prob.. So its either the exchange (Santry btw) is Live or not .If it is live giving a rough date should not be a prob , If its not live then they should have an idea when it will be.. Either way under the above conditions, unfrotunatly they can't blame Eircom..
    I fully understand that it is a complex task & delays are likely but it is Smart who are insisting there are no delays & everything is on time, by doing this they are putting thier hands out to be slapped if they can't deliver.....Wonder has Garfield any news??

That is broadly my point. Smart surely can say to someone who is currently in a contract. ''We are now in your exchange or we will definitely be in your exchange in 2- 3 weeks - if you wish to proced with us you have to cancel your contract with your current isp and get back to us. We should be in a postion to connect you within x days of you informing us that your line is available. The potential Smart customer makes his decision and proceeds to cancel or doesnt. Whats the big deal in that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

Im getting a 1.7MB speed with IOL. now all i need is them to get rid of their damn download cap. 16G seems alot in a month but films and games are BIG!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It's 24 gigs now!

Advertisement