Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pinpointing a port block

• 13-04-2005 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of a method (from a Windows XP SP1 comp) of pinpointing at what point in you net connection a port block is being initiated?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

not entirely sure what your looking for here

but if you open command prompt (by going to run and then typing CMD) then type netstat, it will show you currently whats useing which port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Evac101 wrote:
    Anyone know of a method (from a Windows XP SP1 comp) of pinpointing at what point in you net connection a port block is being initiated?

Are you wondering is your ISP blocking your bittorrent ports?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Heh, not quite Trips:)

A friend in Wales using NTL was able to access a MUD she's an IMP on up until yesterday. The MUD uses port 1234. When she contacted the ISP to say that she couldn't connect to anything over telnet which used 1234 (she tested) the help staff told her that they hadn't implemented any port blocks, it must be her machine and if she didn't like it to switch ISP. Apparently he really was that untackful. However, what I would like to do is to be able to test at what point between her and her game server her telnet request is being blocked. Tested using other port numbers without any problems btw:)

Evac.

PS The funniest part of this was when tech support informed her that she must be using IE functionality to connect as 'telnet can only use port 110 darlin' ' . Conflicts with my experience using VAX in the early ninties that one :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Evac101 wrote:
    Heh, not quite Trips:)

A friend in Wales using NTL was able to access a MUD she's an IMP on up until yesterday. The MUD uses port 1234. When she contacted the ISP to say that she couldn't connect to anything over telnet which used 1234 (she tested) the help staff told her that they hadn't implemented any port blocks, it must be her machine and if she didn't like it to switch ISP. Apparently he really was that untackful. However, what I would like to do is to be able to test at what point between her and her game server her telnet request is being blocked. Tested using other port numbers without any problems btw:)

Evac.

PS The funniest part of this was when tech support informed her that she must be using IE functionality to connect as 'telnet can only use port 110 darlin' ' . Conflicts with my experience using VAX in the early ninties that one :P

I suppose the first thing is to make sure there is no firewall on at all.

It's weird that access was fine until say the day before. Have a look at some of the online port scanners such as Sheilds Up to see if she is in stealth mode and as such ports wouldn't be active or responding to the game server. I don't think there is a way to see where - as in which if any server - is prot blocking.

You could do traceroute to check the IP and make sure that is all good.

Are you any good with nmap? Having a look at her machine from the outside might help. Veyr limited options without pretending you are the game server and trying to access the machine ......

Advertisement