Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seen a rare modern classic ?

• 13-04-2005 8:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

A few rare modern classics (depending on you tastes that is!) which I spotted recently -

1981 Fiat 127
    1976 Fiat 127
    1978 Toyota Starlet (mk1)
    1974 Toyota Corona
    c.1980 Renault 12TL
    All above with original Irish registrations.

1981 Talbot Solara (81-C reg)....in the car park.

All seen at Durrow Castle Vintage Car Show.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

there was a fair share of ""classics""" down at that show ;):o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

In saw one of these last week - the sleek Citroen CX - it was an early (the best looking) example in white. Obviously a UK import. It was in immaculate condition. I was often tempted by them but too cautious about their complexity me being a fairly interested but amateur mechanic :o
    The Peugeot 504 seemed a much safer (on the wallet) French barge ;)

CX.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I too like the CX's, but would be wary of them mechanically.

Still, I plan to buy one someday ! :D

BTW, is that an aussie-registered CX ?

Silvera wrote:
    BTW, is that an aussie-registered CX ?

Boy your sharp Silvera :D

The link I got it from http://www.lemis.com/cx.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

In saw one of these last week - the sleek Citroen CX - it was an early (the best looking) example in white. Obviously a UK import. It was in immaculate condition. I was often tempted by them but too cautious about their complexity me being a fairly interested but amateur mechanic :o
    The Peugeot 504 seemed a much safer (on the wallet) French barge ;)

If I can understand it, anyone can. They are actually very simple cars, the complexity is borne of being different. The hydraulic system - once understood -is not complex, one might argue that it's a lot more straightforward than the strut/wishbone/coil/damper setup. The steering is unusual in a CX, and the brakes are a little too effective for some tastes. Access can be awkward for some items, but nothing is fundamentally unreliable. Some of the hydraulic components are massively over-engineered, self lubricating, metal-on-metal masterpieces of design over budget. Most parts are available reconditioned or new and there's no shortage of online support.

Rust is the real killer. They rust from the inside out, with little/no factory installed protection and a zillion nooks and crannies to surprise and delight you. Find a straight one, and you'll never regret it.

The GTI Turbo 2 is an absolute flier (170bhp), but a little harsh in it's ride compared to, say, and early 2200.

Did I mention that I'm a fan???

PS: I've sent pics of your 504 to a friend who's nuts about them. Are you selling?

• Advertisement

PS: I've sent pics of your 504 to a friend who's nuts about them. Are you selling?

Thanks but I am thinking of keeping it now as it is a car that is impressing and entertaining me no end :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I was walking across a field I spotted a familiar purple through the undergrowth. Upon closer of inspection of the hedge four headlights looked back at me. I almost shed a tear, behind the headlights lay a ruined triumph dolomite sprint. I also saw a Lotus Esprit this week good week !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Theres a free scimmie going in the UK if you're very quick......

http://www.nsra.org.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11231

Advertisement