Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good bakes for a cake sale

• 13-04-2005 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have to do some baking for a cake sale. Can anyone suggest some good recipes? I would like a cake which improve with age – i.e. can be baked a day or 2 ahead, and maybe cookie or small cakes where I can taste 1 or 2 to make sure they come out ok. I do like home baking but am always nervous doing it for someone else in case it is a disaster so the more fool proof the better.

Thanks.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

how about a fruit cake/brack for your cake, they definately impreove with age and are fairly easy to bake. Deliah does a good one and so does Darina.

Otherwise why not make a good few rounds of little fariy cakes? you could put differnt icings on them. It's just a basic sponge recipie which you should be able to find anywhere, and divide it up into little cup cake holder thingys.

Sorry I can't give you any actual recipie at the moment but we did a tidy and now I've no idea where the cook books went :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Bakewell tart will hold up very well because of the frangipane. also,some jam tart shells can be made the night before and the jam sauce too, just heat a little and add in the morning. Meringues will hold up no problem if your just selling the shells. if you need recipies, ill om you with suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Purdee,

Now you've lost me. What is a frangipane? If I can't pronounce it can I bake it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

frangipan is the same ammount of butter -unsalted - and sugar mixed (not too much) with again the same ammount of beaten egg and ground almond added so that you have a fairly spreadable mixture.
    for a bakewell tart, line the tart case with a nice thin roll of sweet pastry. leave an overhang and bake blind until barely cooked. when cooled - careful not to crack the base here - spread a good layer of jam over the bottom of the tart. put the frangipane on top of this, leaving room for expansion , so not quite to the top.
    if you are feeling adventerous, do some latticcing on top and put in oven to bake @ 180-190c.
    dont worry if the frangipan looks cracked. it will bind in the oven. do not add flour as some recipies state other than maybe a dessert spoon if your really worried about the state of the crack. there is nothing worse than dry frangipane. dont bake this in a deep dish as it does need to cook thoroughly but not overcook the pastry.

Advertisement